Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2020, 09:53 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Baby needs a new pair of shoes: right Judge?

Old 10-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: California
THOR #15546
Stoked!

Got away this weekend and this was the most hassle free setup ever. Jacks went straight down and cocktail in hands in less than 5 minutes! no messing with blocks n chocks.

Motorhome was rock solid stable!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1586.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	26479  
Old 10-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations on a successful test!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #24

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #17950
Darius did a great job! After several of mine bent at 90 degrees (because I was on the edge of my concrete pad)I enlarged the pad and added snap pads. Very happy with them. I mentioned in an earlier post that LCI wants $1.95 per o ring and I bought a pack of 50 at a supply company. I sent a set of 8 to one of our members and if anyone needs some I will send them for the cost of postage.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #25

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius View Post
I purchased my Challenger, that is built on an F53 Chassis new, just over a year ago. It's been in and out of warranty over the year, but one problem that does not seem to have a resolution is that the rig has crushed two sets (where one set is 4 footpads - 2 front and 2 back) of feet.

First they start to cup upwards and start to look more like a salad bowl, and then the top part where the foot attached to the hydraulic ram starts to cave in under the weight of the rig until the footpad is so bent that the whole weight of the rig is being placed on the bolt that holds the footpad to the ram. Thor replaced one set under warranty, then I called LCI when the second set started to go.

LCI were kind enough to send me 4 replacements (yup the third set) but refused to acknowledge that they have an issue. We went through the conversation of 'are you parking it on a hard level surface' to which I said 'yes, it always sits on a level surface and on wood blocks too,' but argued that regardless, I should be able to park it on any surface and never have an issue.

Simply stated - they cut corners, they have succeded in keeping their costs down by using cheap, thin pressed steel - the result - an inferior product, a manufacturer in denial, and no resolution for the customer - Oh and i am out of warranty now! (not that that matters)

i have read other forums, and it seems to be a problem with many other people and their rigs.

The bit I have a problem with is there is no resolution!

Check out the photos!
I have a 2021 33.1 with the same feet as yours. The first thing I said to my wife was why isn't there a ball and socket on the feet. If the ground is unlevel the foot would move and be flat on the ground. But when a person parks on an unlevel surface the pad or foot hit's on one edge first and bends. It's a poor design. I might weld a plate on the bottom but also a gussets from the top of the pad to the part it screws in so it doesn't bend
Old 10-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #26

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #3900
We have a 2017 Challenger and have the same issues. We have replaced ours twice and need to again soon. We use the snap pads that others talk about but it did not fix the issue.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #27

Model: 2019 Thor Aria 3901
THOR #11051
I got LCI to replace my 9" dia feet with 12" dia. Then I put the Snap Pads on and have had no problem. I also made 16" x 16" x 4" thick wood blocks to put under the feet. That also Keeps the jacks from extending as far to provide lateral stability of the MH.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:20 PM   #28

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Oh yeah you have my attention! I would surely be interested is a set of those!
Old 10-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #29

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Stoked!

Got away this weekend and this was the most hassle free setup ever. Jacks went straight down and cocktail in hands in less than 5 minutes! no messing with blocks n chocks.

Motorhome was rock solid stable!

Based on the feedback I’m reading, you need to patent those babies and sell the design to LCI. Or better yet, sell them on EBay as well. Might be a 2nd career. Nice job.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #30

THOR #15546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I have a 2021 33.1 with the same feet as yours. The first thing I said to my wife was why isn't there a ball and socket on the feet. If the ground is unlevel the foot would move and be flat on the ground. But when a person parks on an unlevel surface the pad or foot hit's on one edge first and bends. It's a poor design. I might weld a plate on the bottom but also a gussets from the top of the pad to the part it screws in so it doesn't bend

Bill Spot on! You hit the nail on the head. My original plan was also to weld on a 9" plate to the bottom of the pad, but the problem is it was shaped like a bowl already! second problem was that if you look at the very first photos, you can see that the RV was crushing the domed bit in the middle to the point where the RV was being supported by the bolt that holds on the foot! To me this meant that no matterer how much steel you add to the existing foot, it won't solve the problem - it is simply no up to to it!

So given that the foot is being crushed and then rendered useless, at the top, adding a snap pad will do nothing to ease or resolve the problem. Its simply a sheet of rubber (soft relative to a wood block or concrete) that will focus the weight on the center, causing it to deform further.... as can be seen on their website! I even saw one person bolting on the snap pad, through the holes in the foot to hold it on place!

It's simply not resolving the actual issue!
Old 10-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #31

THOR #15546
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbsunny View Post
We have a 2017 Challenger and have the same issues. We have replaced ours twice and need to again soon. We use the snap pads that others talk about but it did not fix the issue.
Yup - the Challenger is simply too heavy for those thin, flimsy, rigid feet.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:15 AM   #32

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #12548
Quote:
Huh!

Well it's not my main line of business, but if there are people out there that might be interested / having similar issues with their jacks, we could probably do a run.
Hey Darius, I too, would be interested in a set of those. I have a 34J that has the same set of pads. Even though I have Snap Pads, as someone else has posted —it doesn’t fix the problem. I just bent another one while the snap pad was on.

I could use a pair for the back right now, and if I ever bend the fronts—I’d rather replace the feet with something more substantial.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Y’all better be careful or the moderator is going to shut you down. This forum expressly forbids building or promoting a business and I once got a very, very nice senior member in considerable hot water by asking him to make a product for me....
Old 10-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: it's probably best to take these conversations to the PM level...
Old 10-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #35

THOR #15546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree: it's probably best to take these conversations to the PM level...
Good advice guys, not looking to break any rules here.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
(But it is a smokin' hot, good ookin' product! )
Old 10-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #37

THOR #10883
I hope you decided to make some more of these? Mine are pretty dished. I am surely interested. If you would like to sell some to me I am Mace Crouch. macecrouch@gmail.com or text me at 903 805 7682, thanks
Old 10-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #38

THOR #10883
These are fantastic! If you make any for sale I will surely by 4! My 2018 30.3 plates are dished fron the ground not being hard enough. I am Mace Crouch and can be reached at macecrouch@gmail.com Those would be so great!
Old 12-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #39

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
Mine is a 2019 too. Can you send a photo of what your's look like please? To me mine seem to be pretty standard feet for all the LevelUp Jacks both for Motorhomes and 5th wheels.

Regardless I got inspired last night after I received some forum feedback and started drawing up some feet on CAD. I like building things out of steel, so, I cut them out this morning on the CNC table and welded them up. It's all made out of 1/4 inch plate steel. I'm calling it the Elefoot because... well... that's what it looks like!

I don't think anything is going to bend these bad boys. Should be good on hard surfaces and on soft too without the need to put down blocks ever. They are close to 10 inches in diameter and unlike the original ones, they will naturally angle to meet the incline of the floor - so they articulate.

I just want the feet to go down and work.. on any surface, and of course, be strong enough to last the life of the RV. It was a project well worth doing, but frustrating that I had to do it, as when you spend that much on a new RV, you just want it to work!
You should start manufacturing and selling them

Tags
footpad, landing gear, lci, levelup