Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2016, 01:01 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: New Jersey
THOR #3292
Mysterious Major Electrical Problem

Yesterday we delayed starting on our trip to Michigan with our Hurricane 31S because when I started the engine, air conditioning didn't come on, wind shield wipers didn't work, fans over driver and passenger and airconditioning fans didn't work and there was no light on the jacks panel. I made some calls to Coach Net and talked to a mechanic; they advised calling Ford on Monday.

Today, I got into the RV started the RV and decided to check the camera. When I clicked the camera, everything came on. So we decided the problem yesterday was a fluke and headed out.

We stopped for gas and when I turned the RV on again, the problem was back. I drove the rest of the way to the first campground with the windows open. Thank goodness my wife was driving our car behind so the dog joined her and enjoyed her air conditioning.

We're at the camp and its a nice place, thankfully. The coach air conditioning works and now we are thinking how to continue.

Does anyone have any ideas about whats going on? When I talked to the people at Coach Net, they were mystified that all these unrelated units were acting up together.

Thanks for any help and ideas.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:38 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz102 View Post
Yesterday we delayed starting on our trip to Michigan with our Hurricane 31S because when I started the engine, air conditioning didn't come on, wind shield wipers didn't work, fans over driver and passenger and airconditioning fans didn't work and there was no light on the jacks panel. I made some calls to Coach Net and talked to a mechanic; they advised calling Ford on Monday.

Today, I got into the RV started the RV and decided to check the camera. When I clicked the camera, everything came on. So we decided the problem yesterday was a fluke and headed out.

We stopped for gas and when I turned the RV on again, the problem was back. I drove the rest of the way to the first campground with the windows open. Thank goodness my wife was driving our car behind so the dog joined her and enjoyed her air conditioning.

We're at the camp and its a nice place, thankfully. The coach air conditioning works and now we are thinking how to continue.

Does anyone have any ideas about whats going on? When I talked to the people at Coach Net, they were mystified that all these unrelated units were acting up together.

Thanks for any help and ideas.
Sounds like a loose wire connection at the main fuse panel.
It will be where all the power is sourced before it is separated into the various circuits, possibly a main breaker is loose or sumpin like that.

good luck
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:00 AM   #3

THOR #3292
Thanks saddlesore

Very interesting. Is this something I can check and fix myself? Of course, I don't know where the main circuit is located. Would an RV repair shop be able to do it?

I'm going to call Ford tomorrow and mention what you told me.

Thanks again
Old 07-18-2016, 03:22 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
It could also be an intermittent fault in the ignition switch. It may be energizing the start and run devices, but not the accessory position devices.

In any case, my advice would be to see the Ford dealer.

Ken
Old 07-18-2016, 03:47 AM   #5

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
It could also be a fault in the ignition switch. It may be energizing the start and run devices, but not the accessory position devices.

In any case, my advice would be to see the Ford dealer.

Ken
After thinking this through..... Yes it sounds like an ignition switch going south or the accessory relay may have a loose wire or going south as well..
Next time it does this try "jiggling" the ignition key and see if things connect.
Too many keys( too heavy) on the key ring will cause excess wear on the switch tumblers.

good luck
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #6

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
loose ignition connections

I agree that a bad or worn ignition switch could be the cause of these intermittent problems. However, I don't think the overhead fans would be controlled by the chassis ignition. The camera system also would most likely not be on a chassis circuit. You did not mention how old your coach is, but a worn ignition switch could certainly cause the issues you describe. Jiggling the switch is a good suggestion to help zero in on the cause.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #7

THOR #3292
Thanks for info

I didn't mention that the RV is less than 1 year old, a 2016 model.

5,017 miles on it. Coach Net warranty expires in November.

After all the advice above I removed the extra keys and started with a single key. All systems worked. It does look like something related to ignition key. I'm trying to call Ford.

Thanks for all the help. I'll post whatever I learn.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #8

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
We had to have our ignition switch replaced in the first 2 months. If you wiggle the key while cranking it will make the connection for that time.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
I didn't mention that the RV is less than 1 year old, a 2016 model.

5,017 miles on it. Coach Net warranty expires in November.

After all the advice above I removed the extra keys and started with a single key. All systems worked. It does look like something related to ignition key. I'm trying to call Ford.

Thanks for all the help. I'll post whatever I learn.
Sounds like the same problem we had with our new Axis. Next visit we have to the Ford dealer, they will be replacing the ignition switch. When we had the PDI at the dealership, the technician actually got the key stuck in the switch and the PDI tech had a heck of a time getting it out. Before we get it replaced, I very thoughtfully turn the key to the start position and make a point of releasing it completely so it returns to the correct ON position. Sometimes I have to do some manipulating to get the key out as well. None of us should have to give direct thought on how to turn a key and remove it. As I said, Ford will be replacing mine soon.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:18 AM   #10

THOR #3292
Thanks for all the replies

Thanks for all the information. We went to a Ford truck service shop in DuBois, PA Very nice people; they took our RV in right away. They spent time with it and could not get it to misbehave.

I followed advice above and took the extra keys off the keyring. Now, theres just the ignition key. I haven't had any problems since doing that.

So its still a mystery but things are working and hopefully will keep on working.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:06 AM   #11

Model: Miramar 33.5
THOR #578
Just after taking delivery of our new Miramar 33.5, I had an intermittent electrical issue. It involved the monitor panel and the water pump. Went on for a month, sometimes it worked, then it wouldn't. It was totally random. I dropped unit off at the dealer, it took them 2 days of trouble shooting, but they finally found a wire bundle that had a screw drilled into it.

They drill a thousand screws into these things, kinda like the golden BB, just dumb luck! If it happens again, you might want to consider!
Old 07-27-2016, 03:19 AM   #12

THOR #4719
Quote:
Thanks for all the information. We went to a Ford truck service shop in DuBois, PA Very nice people; they took our RV in right away. They spent time with it and could not get it to misbehave.

I followed advice above and took the extra keys off the keyring. Now, theres just the ignition key. I haven't had any problems since doing that.

So its still a mystery but things are working and hopefully will keep on working.
Glad to hear that its working. I guess the first thing to try if it acts up again would be tying a couple helium balloons to the key.

Ken
Old 07-27-2016, 03:31 AM   #13

THOR #3483
Ignition Switch

Our Axis 24.1 is currently at the Ford dealer to see what is going on with the ignition switch that we have to be so careful with.... The service writer that deals with RVs and trucks tried the switch and immediately said that there was something wrong with it. Said it might need only an adjustment but may need to be replaced. I will let you all know when they are done.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:55 AM   #14

THOR #3483
Got a call from the Ford dealer working on the ignition switch problem. They said that it is fixed and said that it was due to the shift linkage that was not adjusted properly. I will be picking it up soon to see if this is what the real story is. Stay tuned.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:03 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl
due to the shift linkage that was not adjusted properly.
That sounds like the shifter cable issue (in many Axis/Vegas units the shifter cable was close to the exhaust manifold melting it--I can't see how that would mess with your ignition though).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:08 AM   #16

THOR #4719
Thanks for keeping us updated. There's nothing quite as annoying as a mystery novel with the last page missing.

Ken
Old 08-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #17

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated. There's nothing quite as annoying as a mystery novel with the last page missing.

Ken
Okay, got the Axis back today from the Ford dealer. Here is what the invoice shows: Check steering column actuators. Remove ignition switch. Remove shift detent and inspect. Readjust shift cable is reason for key sticking making actuator bind up.

Did not mention anything about the cable being melted, but, it seems like it is working the way it should now.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #18

THOR #4719
Glad to hear all's working well.

Ken