Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #7951
Ok I found mine I have two of them under the bed if I have it plugged into shore power everything works but if I run generator I get nothing I have tripped the breakers on genny and reset them still nothing

Old 08-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #22

THOR #7951
Ok transfer switch working but still no power out. I opened switch box and had someone watch as I started Genny and it switched but still no power
Old 08-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You may have a generator problem with an open in one leg of the stator. Time to get the voltmeter out and start doing some hot checking starting from the generator if you know what you are doing around electricity. If not, get an expert involved.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #24

THOR #7951
Ok just checked the transfer switch the 20 amp is working the rear AC that's all it's hooked to the 30 amp transfer switch is not engaging so either my 30 amp breaker is bad or transfer switch. I did try to manually engage it with Genny running with no effect any suggestions.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #25

State: Virginia
THOR #7607
I have not worked with a 50 amp setup. You say you have 2 transfer switches, each in a separate box. Maybe someone will chime in. I wonder if they split the genny output into two circuits and send the to the two transfer switches. You said everything works on shore power, so means the AC breakers are OK. Did both relays flip or just one? You seem to be missing 1 hot leg from the Genny. If you studied my photo you could see that I had a bad wirenut connection on both wires from my Genny and it melted the wire nuts off just like a kid with a marshmallow on a coat hanger over the fire. If you are comfortable working on this stuff you could examine the splices coming in from the Genny with a meter, or at least look closely for any tell tale signs that you have a connection problem.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #26

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I can pretty much guarantee you don't have two transfer switches. Both shore power and generator go to one transfer switch.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #27

THOR #7951
As soon as the ol lady gets up I will shoot you a pic. There is a converter, transfer switch,a breaker box with a 20 amp breaker and a nother transfer switch.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #7035
Your MH originally should have had a 50 amp transfer switch but it may have been replaced by two separate transfer switches due to the recalls:

Four Winds Hurricane recall

assuming the recall applies to and was done on your coach.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like the recalls were for later model coaches so your split transfer switches may be OEM.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #29

THOR #7951
Mine is a 2004 model 33sl
Old 08-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #30

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTanahwy View Post
As soon as the ol lady gets up I will shoot you a pic. There is a converter, transfer switch,a breaker box with a 20 amp breaker and a nother transfer switch.
Your coach must have originally been 30 amp and a 20 amp circuit added. Doesn't make sense to go thru a transfer switch, the generator would go thru the primary transfer switch and the 20 amp direct to whatever it powers.

Are you the original owner? If not, what, if anything, were you told about your electrical system?

I believe you have two switches but it doesn't make sense.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #31

THOR #7951
No I am not the original owner and was told nothing about electrical at the dealership where I bought it so I'm stuck exploring on my own LoL
Old 08-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #32

THOR #5196
Quote:
No I am not the original owner and was told nothing about electrical at the dealership where I bought it so I'm stuck exploring on my own LoL
If you have time take some pictures of your setup and post them describing what is there.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #33

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
My Tuscany has some "load shedding" stuff built in. Could be with a smaller generator some of the high power things ie. AC, microwave might be "shed" when other things are running. It's a long shot but maybe? When hooked up to shore power no shedding is necessary. Think its controlled by the Magnum control panel. But the Tuscany has a 10KW generator so shedding is seldom if ever necessary.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:46 AM   #34

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5545
Lost power

Quote:
Lost power with generator running to part of cabin. Rear AC working but lost power to front AC,microwave,and other 110 volt outlets and battery's are not charging except when motor is running.
You may want to check auto transfer switch. On trip I lost shore power at campground to ac. Luckily they had repair tech. I have a 2016 Vegas transfer switch is almost impossible to get to but the repair guy found loose wire it fixed problem. But later in trip lose power from generator went back to transfer switch. Decided to relocate transfer box so I had easy access. Found 4 more wire loose which toasted generator relay. Moral to story check all wiring connections, should be super tight. Make sure u disconnect all power to do this or have tech check out.

was loose wire in transfer sw