Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Need help with bed above driver seats.

Help! The first time we used the over seat bed it won’t go up evenly. Just 2 small children less than 130 pounds. It’s getting worse on the drivers side. I tried holding that side up and running it down but both sides still lower. We can’t lower all the way because the under bed cabinetry hits the RV dashboard.
2017 THOR Outlaw 38RE. We’re supposed to check out today. I’m going to see if the park mgmt have anyone that can help.
Im going to post this several places hoping for an answer. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	057F7EE6-846C-4360-95EB-AA14AF482B29.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	24165  

Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #2

Model: Outlaw 38RE
State: Texas
THOR #2145
Good Morning - we have the same model as you... do you have a shelf hanging off the passenger side of the bed hitting on the antenna controller? Also, the bed doesn't have much "umpf" when closing - we take everything out of the bed that would press on the ceiling when closing the bed - if not it will not close. As far as hitting the dash, ours is a hair's width from the dash when closed, but doesn't actually touch... Safe Travels -
2016 Outlaw Josey Wales 38RE #2630
FMCA F455018
crey0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Your motors are grossly out of sync. The sleeping bags on the mattress may not be helping. Whenever you raise or lower the bed you need to hold the switch for a good 5 seconds after it stops moving to keep the motors synchronized.

For now I would get an appropriate length 2x4 to use under the drivers side of the bed to stop downward movement and lower the bed until it stops. The passenger side motor should continue for a second or 2 after the driver side motor stops. You may have to go through several cycles to get the bed level. Once level you should be able to raise it fully.

If this doesn't work you may have a motor problem and may need to move the bed manually by disconnecting the motors from the controller.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #4

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
It looks like the track cover on driver side it popped out ,when lowering the bed they move down also, don't let them hit the driver passenger seat backs or flipped up arm rest,don't ask how I know.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 32.2
THOR #14520
Clear off the mattress

As previous posts have said, the bunk motors stop with even a small amount of resistance. We had a thick comforter on the bed and that was enough to stop it. Once the mattress is clear, just press up and hold for an extra 5-10 seconds after it fully reaches the top. That should resync the alignment.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #6

THOR #17154
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! I put all the seats down and lowered the bed. It creaked and creaked, then stopped. Wouldn’t go up or down. I remembered about the reset 6 pushes and a 7th hold). Once I did that I was able to raise it. I raised and lowered a couple of times and it finally became straight! Woo who! Our trip was almost ruined!

During this cluster, I called FMCA to see about roadside assistance. Their response was that my policy doesn’t cover mobile mechanic! They’d tow me, but no mobile mechanic. That sucks! I’m going to have to call later and verify when I get home later.

Again - thanks all for the help and comments!
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 06-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! I put all the seats down and lowered the bed. It creaked and creaked, then stopped. Wouldn’t go up or down. I remembered about the reset 6 pushes and a 7th hold). Once I did that I was able to raise it. I raised and lowered a couple of times and it finally became straight! Woo who! Our trip was almost ruined!

During this cluster, I called FMCA to see about roadside assistance. Their response was that my policy doesn’t cover mobile mechanic! They’d tow me, but no mobile mechanic. That sucks! I’m going to have to call later and verify when I get home later.

Again - thanks all for the help and comments!
One thing to keep in mind is the overhead bunk is not part of the chassis and wouldn't be covered by roadside assistance. Pretty sure you'll find that to be the case in all roadside assistance plans. Mobile techs and mechanics are generally covered under warranties or extended service agreements. Some warranties and ESA will allow a mobile tech and others won't.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #8

State: Nevada
THOR #15961
Fyi

Also remember to level your coach before using the bunk. Never driver without putting in the pins to hold it up. We have made both these mistakes. I thought we could quickly drive down to the dump site in the campground without putting the pins in and it slowly slid down unevenly and had to be resinked. Safe travels.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: North Carolina
THOR #16500
Don't forget to insert the pins once it is all the way up. Otherwise, as I found out, it will slowly lower as you drive down the road.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #10

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
As Ted said in his post -- your motors were grossly out of sync. Now that you were able to get them in sync, here's some advice to keep them that way:

1 - Never, Ever, Ever -- lower the bunk part way. Always be sure when you operate the bunk make it go full travel and hold the switch for a few seconds after the bunk stops. Do the same thing when raising it. By keeping the switch depressed after the motors stop you ensure the motors stay in sync.

2 - When lowering the bunk, be sure that the seats are laid back because if they aren't the bunk will hit them and not go full travel. That will then increase the odds of the bunk motors going out of syn again.

3 - Do not leave sleeping bags, pillows, mattress pad, etc on the bunk when you raise. Compressing these items between the bunk and the roof will again limit the bunk going full travel when raising it.

4 - Be sure to put the safety pins in on both sides of the bunk when it is raised. The safety pins will keep the bunk from slipping down and again going out of full travel.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard11 View Post
Also remember to level your coach before using the bunk. Never driver without putting in the pins to hold it up. We have made both these mistakes. I thought we could quickly drive down to the dump site in the campground without putting the pins in and it slowly slid down unevenly and had to be resinked. Safe travels.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #12

THOR #17154
Thank you all again for the help!
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 09-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #13

THOR #17154
I wanted to thank you all again for the help. Here’s a picture of how bad it ended up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37C776FB-B3A9-4397-B27F-07D647691E56.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	26222  
Good Sam member
FMCA member