Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
OK let's review:

So long as the refrigerator is constantly receiving 120VAC (first from shore power and then from the inverter when shore power is removed) the refrigerator will not automatically switch to gas unless the inverter is turned off or the refrigerator is unplugged from the inverter.

Or he moves the switch to "Gas" if it has that option. The Norcold I had in my last coach had an option to have it run only on propane.... even if it was on shore power.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #22

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think we've covered all the bases here, and many are good thoughts, but one question is the one that I've had from the beginning: does the Inverter actually provide power to an 'RV Fridge'? If so, why wouldn't the factory then install a 120v residential fridge instead, if power is 'always' available, even when traveling, thru the Inverter?

Not to disagree with others, but isn't the reason for an Inverter solely for the purpose of a 120v residential Fridge, versus needing the propane for a much more expensive and smaller RV fridge, in many RVs?

It's true that most larger RVs, especially motorhomes, tend to have larger Inverters for the 'whole house'(most or all of the outlets, not just the fridge), but many smaller motorhomes and RVs with residential fridges will tend to have a smaller and more 'dedicated' Inverter for the fridge.

I've yet to run across an RV with an RV fridge that is powered via the Inverter, but that may be something that some factories have decided to do... I'm just not sure of the reasoning behind it, as the OP has expressed. If you have an automatic RV fridge, it would seem that you would want it to switch automatically, when SHORE power is not available. The power from the Inverter may be complicating the matter, since you would rarely need any propane power, if so.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:17 AM   #23

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I've yet to run across an RV with an RV fridge that is powered via the Inverter, but that may be something that some factories have decided to do... I'm just not sure of the reasoning behind it, as the OP has expressed. If you have an automatic RV fridge, it would seem that you would want it to switch automatically, when SHORE power is not available. The power from the Inverter may be complicating the matter, since you would rarely need any propane power, if so.
Fo us it would be ideal to be able to boondock on propane and use an inverter while on the road since the extra demand on the RV engine is trivial. The big benifit would be not needing solar or lots of generator time to support the fridge.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #24

THOR #4735
that certainly may be what the factory has installed the inverter for, and it makes sense for many, though the OP is not exactly happy that there's not a better or more 'automated' way to disable this function for his needs.

I think I'd like this setup best, too, which would limit your propane needs while traveling, yet you still have the option to switch to propane if and when you wish.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #25

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
My previous TT (Open Range 323RLS) was offered as standard with a residential fridge and inverter but no obvious generator. I had it built with a large, 2 way gas fridge but opted to leave the inverter in place. This set up allowed me to run the fridge on inverter while underway and for limited use overnight or at rest stops, saving propane. This parallels his set up. They wired a separate switch for the inverter so I could turn it off, allowing the "normal" switchover from 120V to LP. A simple switch could be installed to turn the inverter off and his issue would be solved. It really isn't a multi-page issue here.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #26

THOR #4735
yes, what the factory might provide is an in-line switch between the inverter and the RV fridge to allow the owner to keep the Inverter on for other uses, yet have the RV fridge automatically switch over to Propane.

I think I should get a commission for that good idea...are you listening factories??
: )
Old 01-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
You are forgetting that Thor MC installed inverters in all coaches with outside kitchens regardless of the type of main refrigerator. The inverter is there to power the outside fridge. As a bonus, Thor MC also wired the inverter to the electrical equipment cubby and all TVs. The 120 V tap for the inside fridge is usually from the closest duplex receptacle to the fridge. Since the inverter is just a 1000 watt, it is not wired to any of the normal duplex receptacles to avoid an inverter shutdown if a load greater than 8.3 amps was on the circuit when shore power failed or the generator shut down.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #28

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
You are forgetting that Thor MC installed inverters in all coaches with outside kitchens regardless of the type of main refrigerator. The inverter is there to power the outside fridge. As a bonus, Thor MC also wired the inverter to the electrical equipment cubby and all TVs. The 120 V tap for the inside fridge is usually from the closest duplex receptacle to the fridge. Since the inverter is just a 1000 watt, it is not wired to any of the normal duplex receptacles to avoid an inverter shutdown if a load greater than 8.3 amps was on the circuit when shore power failed or the generator shut down.

A simple wall switch between the 120V supply line and the inside fridge will solve his issue. Inverter can keep doing whatever it wants...if 120V power is lost to the fridge (from shore power of from inverter) the gas will kick on.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #16016
I would like to request you all to be concentrate on safety issues. Especially to the electrical hazards. no compromise is here as lots of risky possibility involved with that.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #30

THOR #11130
My house is full of light switches. Boat is too. So is motorhome. What's the safety issue?
Old 01-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #31

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Morgan View Post
I would like to request you all to be concentrate on safety issues. Especially to the electrical hazards. no compromise is here as lots of risky possibility involved with that.