Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2022, 09:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #28558
Need help, RV is possessed???? 😩

I have a problem - I think…. When I parked the 29J a month ago, I turned every single thing off including the propane. Verified everything was off before the propane was turned off. I plugged the camper in a couple days ago so I could turn fridge on. Kept hearing something running & couldn’t figure out what it was. Was standing outside yesterday & realized it was water heater trying to start. Went in bathroom & had the E1 error. Was off & couldn’t turn it off. Turned it off locally outside. Today went in camper & heater was running - thermostat is OFF & setting is as low as you can get & I’m in Louisiana where it’s 70 deg. I couldn’t turn it off cause it was already OFF. Eventually it went off after I played with the thermostat switch. This thing is possessed!! Any help is appreciated!!
Have 2023 Outlaw 29J

Old 11-24-2022, 10:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Did you turn off the master power switch?
Were you plugged into SP?
Was it raining hard?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:48 PM   #3

THOR #28558
It wasn’t raining at the time. Just started this afternoon. Yes, is plugged up to SP for a couple weeks now with no problem ls until yesterday & today. Inverter & battery switches have been on for a couple weeks too.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:45 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Maybe squatters have been in there!
Old 11-25-2022, 08:23 AM   #5

THOR #28558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Maybe squatters have been in there!
lol I know! I watch too many ghost shows on Travel Channel & figured it was a sign that I need to quit.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:21 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays2 View Post
I have a problem - I think…. When I parked the 29J a month ago, I turned every single thing off including the propane. Verified everything was off before the propane was turned off. I plugged the camper in a couple days ago so I could turn fridge on. Kept hearing something running & couldn’t figure out what it was. Was standing outside yesterday & realized it was water heater trying to start. Went in bathroom & had the E1 error. Was off & couldn’t turn it off. Turned it off locally outside. Today went in camper & heater was running - thermostat is OFF & setting is as low as you can get & I’m in Louisiana where it’s 70 deg. I couldn’t turn it off cause it was already OFF. Eventually it went off after I played with the thermostat switch. This thing is possessed!! Any help is appreciated!!
Have 2023 Outlaw 29J
I assume you have a Girard Tankless Water Heater based on your post. If that is the case, the Girard has a built-in protection system to keep from freezing temps causing the copper lines in it from freezing and bursting.

When the heat exchanger reaches a temp of 38F, the Girard will fire the burner to heat it and the water inside until the temp reaches 58F. Then the unit will shut off.

If you winterized the coach, you need to shut off the power switch in the unit behind the access door outside. If you did not winterize the coach and there is a chance temps can reach freezing temps, you want to leave your propane on so the unit can protect itself.

Someone on this forum, recently parked their coach in cold temps and it wasn't winterized and they did not read the manual to know about this protection system. The copper lines in the heat exchanger burst. A new unit costs ~$600 so that was an expensive lesson.

Also, if you have the Girard you should not have w water heater bypass. Thor sometimes screws up and installs one when they shouldn't (Thor also doesn't read the manual). Someone took their coach to a dealer to have it winterized. They used the water heater bypass when winterizing as if it was a regular tank water heater and it left water in the heat exchanger. The coper lines burst and the dealer nor Thor would cover it even though they both royally screwed up.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #7

THOR #28558
Thanks - that is good to know! I’m in south Louisiana & the temp has been in the 70’s so no freezing weather this week but will definitely keep what you said for future cold temp. We don’t get much freezing weather here thankfully. Any info on why the heater kicked on in 70’s & thermostat was in the off position? That one really blew my mind!!!
Old 11-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Thanks - that is good to know! I’m in south Louisiana & the temp has been in the 70’s so no freezing weather this week but will definitely keep what you said for future cold temp. We don’t get much freezing weather here thankfully. Any info on why the heater kicked on in 70’s & thermostat was in the off position? That one really blew my mind!!!
If you have no dangers of it hitting freezing temps, then turn off the white main power switch on unit itself.

It is possible the temperature sensor for the freezing protection had an erroneous reading and tried to kick on the burned.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #9

THOR #28558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
If you have no dangers of it hitting freezing temps, then turn off the white main power switch on unit itself.

It is possible the temperature sensor for the freezing protection had an erroneous reading and tried to kick on the burned.
To make sure I’m understanding correctly, the heater that warms the interior has a white button to turn off similar to the water heater white button that I turned off on the actual water heater? I am definitely appreciating your advice!
Also of note - the tech at MHS said to shut off the propane if it’s just sitting in the driveway. Sounds like I need to leave it open except maybe in the summertime.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
To make sure I’m understanding correctly, the heater that warms the interior has a white button to turn off similar to the water heater white button that I turned off on the actual water heater? I am definitely appreciating your advice!
Also of note - the tech at MHS said to shut off the propane if it’s just sitting in the driveway. Sounds like I need to leave it open except maybe in the summertime.
There is a water heater and a furnace. If the water heater is the Girard Tankless, then yes.... it has a white main power switch outside when open the access door.

The furnace is controlled by the thermostat. If you turn the thermostat off, the furnace should not try to start if the propane is off. However, the furnace also should not have power if the Main Power Switch is in the "Store" position.

I had an '18 Outlaw 29H. I shut off the propane when the coach was not in use in the summertime. The water heater and the furnace should not be calling for propane when the coach is not being used.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
There is a water heater and a furnace. If the water heater is the Girard Tankless, then yes.... it has a white main power switch outside when open the access door.

The furnace is controlled by the thermostat. If you turn the thermostat off, the furnace should not try to start if the propane is off. However, the furnace also should not have power if the Main Power Switch is in the "Store" position.

I had an '18 Outlaw 29H. I shut off the propane when the coach was not in use in the summertime. The water heater and the furnace should not be calling for propane when the coach is not being used.

IF also not plugged into SP.

Also, the furnace has an ON-OFF/RESET switch near the control board behind the outside panel. That also removes control power to the thermostat on most models.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:03 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
IF also not plugged into SP.

Also, the furnace has an ON-OFF/RESET switch near the control board behind the outside panel. That also removes control power to the thermostat on most models.

On the Class C Outlaw (at least my old 2018), there was no access to the furnace power switch from the outside of the coach. The furnace was mounted under the fridge and there was no easy access to it. That might have changed but shuttong off the T-Stat was the easiest approach.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:09 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
On the Class C Outlaw (at least my old 2018), there was no access to the furnace power switch from the outside of the coach. The furnace was mounted under the fridge and there was no easy access to it. That might have changed but shutting off the T-Stat was the easiest approach.
True, not all RVs have an outside access panel for the furnace. What a PITA to do simple maintenance like flue cleaning/adjusting; let alone troubleshooting and repair.

But at least they shouldn't have any moisture on the control board problems.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #14

THOR #12751
Need help, RV is possessed???? [emoji30]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
True, not all RVs have an outside access panel for the furnace. What a PITA to do simple maintenance like flue cleaning/adjusting; let alone troubleshooting and repair.

But at least they shouldn't have any moisture on the control board problems.

You think the location of furnace is bad…. The water pump was under the furnace! You couldn’t remove and clean the strainer without removing the furnace!

Talk about a horrible design…… [emoji2961]
Old 11-25-2022, 04:22 PM   #15

THOR #28558
Every single thing was off but it is plugged into SP to run fridge & the switch by the door / steps is on. So basically there are multiple configurations of “off”. lol. Thank you so much! Truly thought it was possessed by a demon & going to break down on me & my mother on our upcoming trip. Sounds like it’s doing what it is supposed to do even if off when hooked to SP. This may be another dumb question but I might as well ask while I’m on a roll with them - do the tank heaters use propane or strictly electric? 😇
Old 11-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #16

THOR #12751
Need help, RV is possessed???? [emoji30]

Quote:
Every single thing was off but it is plugged into SP to run fridge & the switch by the door / steps is on. So basically there are multiple configurations of “off”. lol. Thank you so much! Truly thought it was possessed by a demon & going to break down on me & my mother on our upcoming trip. Sounds like it’s doing what it is supposed to do even if off when hooked to SP. This may be another dumb question but I might as well ask while I’m on a roll with them - do the tank heaters use propane or strictly electric? [emoji56]

When on shore power, the Converter will provide 12V to the to charge the house batteries if the Use / Store switch is in the Use position. However, shore power allows the Comverter to provide 12V without the batteries. You need to turn the breaker off to the Converter if you don’t want 12V when on shore power. But that slso means your house batteries won’t charge.

Your Inverter is wired directly to the hoise batteries and it has its own DC breaker.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:54 PM   #17

THOR #28558
Thank you so much! I didn’t think all that needed to be on like I was told. 🤬. You guys are awesome!
Old 11-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Every single thing was off but it is plugged into SP to run fridge & the switch by the door / steps is on. So basically there are multiple configurations of “off”. lol. Thank you so much! Truly thought it was possessed by a demon & going to break down on me & my mother on our upcoming trip. Sounds like it’s doing what it is supposed to do even if off when hooked to SP. This may be another dumb question but I might as well ask while I’m on a roll with them - do the tank heaters use propane or strictly electric? 😇
Electric only.