Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2019, 10:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation 24ST
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7565
Need help Vegas

Maybe we didn't put the battery switch in the right position when we winterized the MT not sure. But we unwinterized it, connected the batteries, plugged it in and all seemed fine. We unplugged to take MH to have oil changed and interior lights and dash radio/camera do not work. Clicked Use/Store switch but it does not click like it usually does. Have had it at a shop and they can't find where the problem is. I know I've hear of this problem on the forum before but we need to leave in a day and need to know how to fix this problem. This happened once before but "senior moments" cannot remember how it was fixed.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #14807
No coach power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky/John View Post
Maybe we didn't put the battery switch in the right position when we winterized the MT not sure. But we unwinterized it, connected the batteries, plugged it in and all seemed fine. We unplugged to take MH to have oil changed and interior lights and dash radio/camera do not work. Clicked Use/Store switch but it does not click like it usually does. Have had it at a shop and they can't find where the problem is. I know I've hear of this problem on the forum before but we need to leave in a day and need to know how to fix this problem. This happened once before but "senior moments" cannot remember how it was fixed.

First, the obvious.....are you certain your coach batteries are properly installed, connected, & charged?

Did you check the circuit breaker located in/near the coach battery box under the steps? I believe it's a 50a breaker. It's weird looking so it's easily overlooked. Could have tripped it during battery hookup.

If that's not the issue, the coach power solenoid should be located in the service bay beside the main power panel under the refrigerator inside the coach. Open that panel (it should pop off) and check the two fuses at that solenoid. (I think the fuses are yellow) It has big red battery wires connected to it and it's mounted on the floor.
One of these may be your issue.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #3

THOR #7565
Thanks ok, the service people said it might be the storage use solenoid but were unable to locate it. Will look under the refrigerator as you said.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #4

THOR #7565
We have the Vegas 25.2 so from what you say, I think the solenoid will be behind the panel to the right of the refrigerator behind the fuse panel, do you think that is right?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
My guess is that all of the breakers and switches are fine.

If the coach batteries are dead, the Use/Store switch won't click. If they are completely exhausted, some of the newer battery chargers won't charge them. The work around is to connect a working battery to them + to + and - to -, and let some power bleed across. Once that is done, try the charger again.

I have an old relic battery charger with a trickle feature. For a dead battery, I let it trickle for a few hours, then switch to charge.

Or, you could just shake it off and buy new batteries, since you are in a hurry. Consider it part of the cost of your education!
Old 04-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #6

THOR #14807
Quote:
Thanks ok, the service people said it might be the storage use solenoid but were unable to locate it. Will look under the refrigerator as you said.

The main control panel (where your circuit breakers & 12v fuses live) has a narrow access panel to its right. Pop off that panel and look on the floor for the solenoid. It should be right there if not a little pushed to the right behind the air return grill.
Also, did you measure 12v at the coach batteries? If so, you should have 12v on one side of the solenoid with the coach switch in the "store" position & 12v on both sides of the solenoid with that switch in the "ON" position.
Be aware, there may be other fuses in that circuit.

To test the solenoid you can apply 12v to the low power wires (that come from the front wall switch) and see if the solenoid activates. Could be a bad switch.

Also, in a pinch, you could jump out the solenoid completely by moving one heavy battery wire to the post with the other battery wire....effectively removing that solenoid & its control circuit from the system.....but only do this in an emergency & only if you know what you're doing.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 PM   #7

THOR #7565
Let me clarify, everything works when we're plugged in and when we run generator. But when we start the MH to get on the road there is no dashboard/backup camera/ interior lights. Do you think this is bad solenoid or fuses?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 PM   #8

THOR #14807
Quote:
Let me clarify, everything works when we're plugged in and when we run generator. But when we start the MH to get on the road there is no dashboard/backup camera/ interior lights. Do you think this is bad solenoid or fuses?

I could be wrong, but from what I see on the wiring diagrams, the coach is powered from AC-DC converter when using shore power. The converter should also be charging the batteries at that time.
In other words, your coach should be fully powered when connected to shore power regardless of what position the switch is in.
Hence, your coach battery system my not be functional at all but all will seem normal when you're plugged into AC or when the generator is running.
It is only when you discoonect the AC & the converter shuts down that you no longer have 12v DC to the coach.
It all points back to the coach batteries, wiring, fuses or DC battery circuit breaker.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
That indicates that you're not getting power from the "house" batteries--weather they are discharged or disconnected due to the breaker under the step.

You can see if they are charged by checking them with a voltmeter (unplugged from 120V and generator off).

While you're under the step there you can look for the breaker--its a little box with a red push button on it and a yellow flag. If the flag is showing the breaker is open--push the flag back in to close it.

It is unlikely to be a fuse as there isn't really a master fuse that would cause all of that to not work (that is what the breaker mentioned above is for).

What year is your coach?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:42 PM   #10

THOR #7565
Old 04-17-2019, 11:42 PM   #11

THOR #14807
No Coach Power

If you simply must be on the road tomorrow & you simply can't get this problem fixed before then, you could either travel without coach power (and your camera, etc) or you could run your generator while traveling.
Just an idea/suggestion if you simply must leave before this problem is fixed.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 AM   #12

THOR #7565
Thank you all for your help, it is really appreciated. That was my thoughts also about just traveling with the generator running, and deal with the problem later. Fortunately it is a short trip and we will have shore power at the camp site. Happy Easter to everyone!
Old 04-18-2019, 12:12 AM   #13

THOR #14807
Quote:
Thank you all for your help, it is really appreciated. That was my thoughts also about just traveling with the generator running, and deal with the problem later. Fortunately it is a short trip and we will have shore power at the camp site. Happy Easter to everyone!

When you ultimately discover what the issue is, please let us know.

Safe Journey
Old 04-18-2019, 01:39 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Hmm 2016: You could have the BCC in the drivers outside storage or a BIRD+Trombetta switching power on/off.

Have you grabbed Ed's crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual? (You'll probably find out where a lot of stuff is if you haven't). It can be found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:33 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
[QUOTE=Thor-Machine;177872]I could be wrong, but from what I see on the wiring diagrams, the coach is powered from AC-DC converter when using shore power. The converter should also be charging the batteries at that time.
In other words, your coach should be fully powered when connected to shore power regardless of what position the switch is in.
QUOTE]

No the shoreline does not charge the house batteries unless the Use/Store switch is in the use position.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #16

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
When my OEM batteries when out they acted exactly as you are describing.

Check the volts at the battery (engine off, No shore power or Genny power). If its below like 11.75 (Mine was 11.3X) its really dead. You can try charging but in the long run you might be better off just replacing with two new ones (esp if your in a hurry and dont want to mess with this problem again).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #17

THOR #14807
[QUOTE=Whirnot;177897]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Machine View Post
I could be wrong, but from what I see on the wiring diagrams, the coach is powered from AC-DC converter when using shore power. The converter should also be charging the batteries at that time.
QUOTE]

No the shoreline does not charge the house batteries unless the Use/Store switch is in the use position.

That is correct. The switch must be in the "USE" position when connected to shore power or when running the generator IF you expect to charge the batteries. Other than that, it doesn't matter what position the switch is in as far as running the house.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #18

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Machine View Post
...the coach is powered from AC-DC converter when using shore power. The converter should also be charging the batteries at that time.
In other words, your coach should be fully powered when connected to shore power regardless of what position the switch is in..
I tend to believe that the "use" switch needs to be turned on, for the coach batteries to get charged when plugged into shore power, or with generator power present.

The way I see it:
Of everything that needs ran by 12vdc, fridge controls, coach lights, etc.
The 12vdc panel gets power from the coach batteries when use switch is on, not plugged into shore power or with generator.

If the "use" switch is off, then no 12vdc for the various systems, nor to the 12vdc panel, when not plugged in and no generator.

Once shore power (or generator for that matter) 110vac is introduced (with "use" switch off & in "store"), the converter automatically converts 110vac to 12vdc to power the 12vdc systems and fuse panel, provided all circuit breakers engaged with no fuses blown.

So, in order for the converter to charge the coach batteries, the coach batteries must be connected to the 12vdc panel via the "in use" switch turned on & out of "store" switch position.

That is why a good operating battery isolation manager, like Precision Circuit's BIM 225 or equivalent, is essential to be working properly.
It monitors battery charge of both 12vdc battery systems, (coach and chassis), if one side is in need and a charge current sensed on the other system, it allows the charging to cross over to the needed side, until requirement charge is met without overcharging either way.

When working properly, it will allow no cross feed when things are, either at satisfactory charge, or when things are idle and not in use, i.e. no engine running, no shore power, and no generator present.

With all that said, and I am not trying to beat anybody up, because they are spot on, the no camera & radio, while driving, sounds to me in the use/store switch, or its solenoid.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
In the Axis/Vegas, the BCC or BIRD and Trombetta serve the same purpose as the BIM225. I don’t know if Thor has moved to the BIM225 for all coaches in 2019.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #20

THOR #7565
Thanks everyone for all of your advise. Batteries are all good it was the solenoid. With all of your help we were finally able to locate said solenoid It was behind the fuse box which is under the wardrobe closet. They have ordered the part and with any luck they can get it replaced tomorrow morning and hopefully we'll be on the road by noon.