Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Need Help, wipers & furnace this time

Yesterday we made a 100 mile trip to Palm Desert. Had some rain and snow. Wipers broke for the 2nd time and just barely got off the road with no accidents whith snow building up on the windshield. There was a 2 inch strip on the left side that I could peek thru. I've have had the need for wipers two times and both times they went into self destroy mode. The right blade takes a dive and gets stuck and the driver side goes up to the left piller and moves about two inches which is why I had a two inch line of site. Thank God no accident. The last time I was in warranty and the dealer replaced the mechanism but apparently not the solution. It must be a design/quality problem. Has anyone been able to strengthen the wiper mechanism by installing one off a truck or bus? I think what is happening that since the wiper arms and blades are so heavy the system can't handle the stresses.

2nd problem is the furnace. My louvers are in upside down and the seal around the access door leaks. The last time I found a marine stainless louver to cover the louvers and stop that leak and I thought I had the leak around the door fixed but yesterday it again leaked all over the PC board and when we turned on the furnace the water took out the PCB again.

I could sure use some suggestions. I thought about selling the MH but can't in all honesty pass the problems along to someone else. I am not in the position to buy a new one so I really need to deal with it myself.

Fortunately I was able to take off the right wiper blade and the left one worked after that and we are in a resort with power so the electric bathroom heater seems to keep it warm so we are good this weekend but could sure use some help.

Many thanks and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and had plenty to be thankful for.

God bless and safe travels.

Bruce

brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Bad enough driving in bad weather without also having wiper problems too. Check all the recalls on your 2015 Hurricane. I am pretty sure the wiper system has a recall about potential faulty install or material......so if that has been done once and failed again then both Thor and the NHTSA also needs to be advised IMO. Attaching a link to some descriptive recalls....scroll down to the 2015 area......I did not read all of them but wipers was in there; maybe the furnace door louver issue is too? If not I would call Thor and see if they will replace the door or whatever is required to fix the problem with minimal or no cost to you (out of warranty good will for something that was wrong from day 1).

THOR HURRICANE RECALLS - Auto Recalls for Consumers
Old 11-29-2019, 06:43 PM   #3

THOR #2544
Thank you. I did the recall last time but Thor satisfied the recall requirement by just replacing the nuts on the wiper arms. Not actually upgrading the mechanics. If I can figure out who to file the report with, I think I may do it. It's dangerous when something like that fails.

Thanks Again for the suggestions.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Might not be the same as your issue but I had a problem w my wipers. We tried unsuccessfully to replace them. After we put the original back on, it kept coming off the J hook. The “fix” was to take pliers and carefully squeeze the “J” a little tighter. Once we did this we heard the click of the little tab going into its slot.
Safe travels!
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:28 PM   #5

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
......][..
2nd problem is the furnace. My louvers are in upside down and the seal around the access door leaks. The last time I found a marine stainless louver to cover the louvers and stop that leak and I thought I had the leak around the door fixed but yesterday it again leaked all over the PC board and when we turned on the furnace the water took out the PCB again.
Bruce
Furnace problem is a repair kit from Atwood. Mine was repaired under warranty in 2016.. It is not just the louvers, the new door has an interior rubber gasket, the exhaust is located lower so the exhaust tube runs uphill not down.Comes with a new frame because the door mounts with more screws. My contact may not be there but Atwood CS should be able to help.

Judy Schulz, Atwood Products.
574-266-4828

1. Door replacement should include a new-
Door Frame,
Door, (It has no louvers)
Exhaust plate and
exhaust tube.
There is a gasket on the inside the door to prevent water entry. (missing on my original installation) Use putty to mount the new frame.

Contact her if any questions on installation.

Hope this helps..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds, 31W
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #17122
Thor Four Winds

I read your post about rain water ingress through your furnace and am curious about a couple of things. I have the same issue with my coach. Louvers on the exterior cover are angled inward--and I believe too that the exhaust pipe is angled downward. I've had to put plastic sheeting over mine while it's in storage. But, I just got off the phone with Dometic (who acquired Atwood a short time ago). The guy I talked too said they don't provide the exterior cover--that it comes from Thor. Just wanted to confirm your experience with Atwood when you worked with them. I thought these furnaces came complete from the manufacturer--exterior cover and all. Of course, Thor had to paint and decal them to match the exterior. Sounds to me like the manufacturers are pointing fingers in each other's direction.

Thanks for your help
Old 01-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
This is an old thread but I have info on wipers, and I'm sure surfers will find this.

At the California meet the factory rep found a problem.
The rv owner was exasperated at the wipers being crap.
:
The rep opened hood, looked up at the arms and said:
See that tiny almost imperceptible kink in the arm? Straighten it out.

It could be a cure. There isn't supposed to be kink or dent in the underhood control arms.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:19 PM   #8

THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I read your post about rain water ingress through your furnace and am curious about a couple of things. I have the same issue with my coach. Louvers on the exterior cover are angled inward--and I believe too that the exhaust pipe is angled downward. I've had to put plastic sheeting over mine while it's in storage. But, I just got off the phone with Dometic (who acquired Atwood a short time ago). The guy I talked too said they don't provide the exterior cover--that it comes from Thor. Just wanted to confirm your experience with Atwood when you worked with them. I thought these furnaces came complete from the manufacturer--exterior cover and all. Of course, Thor had to paint and decal them to match the exterior. Sounds to me like the manufacturers are pointing fingers in each other's direction.

Thanks for your help

Sorry, I just now saw your post. I called Thor Customer service and they supplied me with a kit to replace the old one. Painted to match but does not have the decals. New cover has no louvers but it does seem to work.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:23 PM   #9

THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
This is an old thread but I have info on wipers, and I'm sure surfers will find this.

At the California meet the factory rep found a problem.
The rv owner was exasperated at the wipers being crap.
:
The rep opened hood, looked up at the arms and said:
See that tiny almost imperceptible kink in the arm? Straighten it out.

It could be a cure. There isn't supposed to be kink or dent in the underhood control arms.

Hey duckface, this is bruce, I was camped next to you. My wipers went into self destruct mode. I contacted Thor customer service and there was a recall that I never was notified about. they replaced the entire wiper assembly. Praying it was the right fix. Hope to see you again at the next rally.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #10

Model: Challenger
State: New Jersey
THOR #7108
We r having the same problem -twice now. In the mountains both times ��������
Old 05-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #11

THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
We r having the same problem -twice now. In the mountains both times ��������
I called Thor Customer Service and even though I was out of warranty, they still had a cover kit and sent it to the dealer but they wouldn't pay installation. I was just happy to get the parts. I installed it myself, it was already paint matched so they only thing I am missing is the decals.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:15 PM   #12

Model: Challenger
State: New Jersey
THOR #7108
What I meant was the issue with the wiper blades. We disconnected them after reading the thread and fortunately it was daylight. We slowed it down and drove 300 mi with no wipers in the rain. Eager to find out what/when the fix will be.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #13

THOR #2544
Call Thor and tell them the problem but have your vin number on hand, depending on the year and the model, mine had an outstanding recall and they fixed the wipers under the recall, you can download load the pdf that I posted and troubleshoot the issue so you will have idea what the fix is, they had to replace everything but the blades on mine. Goodluck and sorry I misunderstood,
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
What I meant was the issue with the wiper blades. We disconnected them after reading the thread and fortunately it was daylight. We slowed it down and drove 300 mi with no wipers in the rain. Eager to find out what/when the fix will be.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #14

THOR #2544
I think this link will take you to the pdf I posted.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21589

Tags
furnace issues, wipers