Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2019, 11:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: West Virginia
THOR #15307
Delamination

I'm having a problem with the side of the motorhome bubbling. I'm told it's "Delamination ". Has anyone had experience with this? Is there a special glue? Looks like a big job.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #2

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Hey Steve65 - is the issue on the inside or outside of the coach? Can you send a picture?
Old 06-14-2019, 12:05 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve65 View Post
I'm having a problem with the side of the motorhome bubbling. I'm told it's "Delamination ". Has anyone had experience with this? Is there a special glue? Looks like a big job.
The only true fix is remove and replace. Thor MC has a huge vacuum presses that heats the entire assembled wall with thermosetting glue. A video is available of the process. Thor MC repair facility in Warusa, IN can get the factory to reproduce a full wall (it requires a CNC program for the machining table) and they will install it. If it is just around a window a a dealer should be able to repair and reseal the side using Thor factory procedures. Call Thor MCCustomer Service and explain your problem.

Owners: You may contact Thor Motor Coach’s Customer Service department by using our Owners Only toll-free phone line at (877) 855*2867 or fill out the form below to send us an email.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:47 AM   #4

THOR #15307
On the outside.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
It can be a big job and expensive if you're not up to attempting to fix yourself. There are Youtube videos for injecting thin epoxy and clamping everything while the glue sets. The second option is to repair from the inside digging into the wall structure while leaving the exterior fiberglass in place or the third which is to completely remove the damaged exterior fiberglass. Whichever you choose what needs to happen NOW is to repair the leak and minimize future damage. Fixing the leak won't fix the delmaintation but will stop it from getting bigger.

I did an inside repair after the stove vent fan leaked. During the effort I discovered the lower edge of the wall also had water damage and required repair. Maybe 40 hours of actual work and about $150 in material. Not difficult but you do need to be creative particularly when it comes to clamping.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/61AGFpf63y2j3gqk9
Old 06-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve65 View Post
On the outside.
Hi Steve. Here is a link to a vendor that sells delamination repair kits. I bought one awhile back, and although I haven't used it yet, it appears to contain all the necessary components. https://www.delamrepair.com/rvmotorh...epairkits.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I did an inside repair after the stove vent fan leaked. During the effort I discovered the lower edge of the wall also had water damage and required repair. Maybe 40 hours of actual work and about $150 in material. Not difficult but you do need to be creative particularly when it comes to clamping.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/61AGFpf63y2j3gqk9
Wow Sweetbriar, that's very impressive. Nice job bud!
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #7

THOR #15307
Thanks for the help. I'm a woodworker so I can be creative lol. I'll do the work myself. I am retired so I have plenty of time. Thanks squarely for the link. Guess I'll get busy.