Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Poll Results: What I would like to know from experienced RV'ers is what should I do?
Run and walk away from the deal as there is something wrong? 18 64.29%
Trust the RV Dealer to clean up compartment and keep same batteries? 0 0%
Insist RV Dealer cleans compartment replacing hardware & batteries (upgrade to Group 31)? 7 25.00%
Buy as is as this is normal and nothing to be alarmed about? 0 0%
Some other option? 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #2176
Don’t buy a Thor RV unless you are capable of frequent, sometimes difficult repair.

If you are capable and willing then Thor may be a good value. They are cheap because they are, like most RVs, built saving every possible dime.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #42

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
corroded batteries

Have you tried https://www.facebook.com/groups/RvPr...?ref=bookmarks to get an appraisal on this coach, tell them about the issues. It will give you peace of mind if nothing else $30.00 for 3 day service $40.00 for over night.

I don't have a dog in the fight just used them and it gave me the pease of mind to buy sure that I didn't pay too much.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
Out of curiosity have you looked at the Winnebago Intent 29L floor plan?
Yes I have. To buy the 29L I would have to be willing to pay $12,000 more and lose the following...

1. 8,000 lbs towing capacity. I really prefer 6,000 for my boat 29L is only 5,000
2. 50 amp service, the 29L are with 30 amp
3. 2nd AC, I live in Dallas and the heat is hell on Texas where I figure to be most of the time.
3. Residential Refrigerator.
4. 2nd Inverter dedicated to fridge
5. Bluetooth entertainment / radio in bedroom that can control outdoor entertainment speakers.
6. AGS
7. Large TV in bedroom that has storage behind it, the 29L has a 24" TV
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #44

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
Have you tried https://www.facebook.com/groups/RvPr...?ref=bookmarks to get an appraisal on this coach, tell them about the issues. It will give you peace of mind if nothing else $30.00 for 3 day service $40.00 for over night.

I don't have a dog in the fight just used them and it gave me the pease of mind to buy sure that I didn't pay too much.
No I have not. I tried your link; it said closed? But I don't have facebook account and don't want one.

I don't know if this is needed because I have used NADA and this unit is brand new, I would be first owner. It is well below it's current book value due to 2018 close out pricing. I am not worried about overpaying, just if the known issues are normally fixable before I take ownership, and then again once I have warranty. As you can imagine, I have received a lot of feedback. What is clear I will not buy as is. I am waiting to see if they fix and if so how.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #45

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
A Winne-WHAT???

I went into a RV dealership that sold Winnebagos about 6 weeks ago. The guy asked me if I wanted to see Winnie Mennie? I was with my wife, so I told him no. Later on the lot I saw what he meant. They were okay, but we ruled out the Ford 450 Chassis due to leg configuration of passenger seat in front.

But why would they name an RV Winnie Minnie? Maybe it is not politically correct to say, so I apologize if I offend anyone, but I would never want to tell someone I bought a Minnie Winnie RV?

The Ford Transit would be an option, but I think Class A is what we will do.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #46

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I have been looking at Thor's ACE units. I saw one today that I thought I like but, the factory batteries (Worldwide Dec 2017) in a brand new ACE with only 1100 miles looked really bad. (See the pictures)

What I would like to know from experienced RV'ers is what should I do?

1. Run and walk away from the deal as there is something wrong?
2. Trust the RV Dealer to clean up compartment and keep same batteries?
3. Insist the RV Dealer cleans up compartment replacing hardware and batteries (maybe upgrade to Group 31s?
4. Buy as is as this is normal and nothing to be alarmed about?
5. Some other option?

Incidentally, they had another unit but not the color I wanted, but that battery compartment looked very clean and not corroded. (See the last picture) They both were 2018s; so it makes it harder for me to accept whatever could have possibly happened with the unit I wanted to buy?

Run Forest Run!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #47

Model: Dutch Star 4369
State: Maryland
THOR #8491
It looks like the unit was in high water is my first thought. I would check it over everywhere or look for a different MH
Old 10-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #48

State: Utah
THOR #7797
If this was a car, you would have laughed out loud and reported the dealer

You would not accept anything like that you are buying a brand new car, or both, or home, or refrigerator, or any brand new thing. Something bad has happened inside that battery compartment. It is clearly not a brand new unit. Run away. As for a residential refrigerator and a small motorhome like that I think you're making a mistake. Our kind of camping requires a 12-volt volt propane refrigerator. AC available when and a full hookup.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #49

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I think this is strategy I will be trying. At some point if it drops enough, I can pay for any of the concerns that are at current; only risks that I may see after warranty is over.

May I ask question? What is "X2"
I was quoting the previous response that was asking why you would need to pay for anything. Basically I was just saying times 2 or seconding that comment
Old 10-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #50

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Run Forest Run!!!!!!
I am trying to run; but keep falling down and looking back. Just like in some horror movie. If I buy I will man up and own, I have been duly warned. If I could find another unit with just like within $2k I would consider, but right now not even close.

The way I see it, there are lots of RV's out there, but not really many choices for what any given consumer may be seeking.

Right now out of 23 votes...

65% Say Run
35% Say work it out in some manner with Dealer

I have not been able to conclude a deal with dealer yet. If not, i do intend to pass on this unit.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #51

Model: Thor Axis or the Ace
State: California
THOR #13487
When buying a new RV, look at the mfg. date of completion, and how long it's been on the dealers lot. There should be a tag pasted to the wall near the driver's seat which will show Thor's date when it came off the line at the factory.
BE CAREFUL!!!
Old 10-28-2018, 02:28 AM   #52

State: Nevada
THOR #10862
Have you tried www.mhsrv.com? They had several of the model you want listed.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:42 AM   #53

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Illinois
THOR #13214
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"It is hard to tell from the photos exactly how much corrosion is present."

Not for me, it isn't. This is trash as batteries have been boiled over from-charging. Forget this unit at any cost...and pictures need to be sent to Thor for their input and safety from having to cover any issues this dealer may cost them down the road.
I would run
Old 10-28-2018, 04:07 AM   #54

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by hames57 View Post
You would not accept anything like that you are buying a brand new car, or both, or home, or refrigerator, or any brand new thing. Something bad has happened inside that battery compartment. It is clearly not a brand new unit. Run away. As for a residential refrigerator and a small motorhome like that I think you're making a mistake. Our kind of camping requires a 12-volt volt propane refrigerator. AC available when and a full hookup.
Granted something bad happened and probably why it has not sold. It is brand new unit and very clean otherwise, labels and tags are still new. I have not bought, but through this site I have a number of things to review. All is mute until Dealer can state they have resolved. It has been a full week and thus far they have not told me what they have done. I was expecting a call today, but no go.

But tell me your concern with the residential Fridge? I did not follow your statement "Our kind of camping requires a 12-volt volt propane refrigerator. AC available when and a full hookup."

I can boondock with this unit as it has dedidated inverter. There is AGS to start generator if batteries drop to 50% or so. The compressor on the unit is more efficient than propane plus it it get cooler faster and maintains. I can run refrigerator on long trips with or without the generator, and not worry about safety concerns of running propane while on highway.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:25 AM   #55

State: Montana
THOR #4727
Having owned a Thor ACE 30.1 for over two years I would advise you to look at other brands. We and many others in this and other forums have experienced many problems with our Thor products. Maybe their higher end units have higher construction standards, I don't know. We bought our unit used so we have no warranty coverage. Our problems a many the worst being at least 7 different water leaks, 1 seriously damaged the floor and the other damaged the back wall. That is just part of the troubles. Very shoddy workmanship and materials. It is an entry level RV but these units shouldn't be allowed on the road.
You will also have to install a steering stabilizer to keep it on the road. I am hoping for a break in the interest rates so I can trade this in for anything not made by Thor. Our local independent RV repair shop has the same opinion.
Good luck!
Old 10-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #56

THOR #13565
2018 ace 29.3. 1560 mileage!

We have a 2018 ace 29.3 with 1560 miles on it! It has all of the requirements you listed. We had ordered it custom from the factory through our local dealer for our “bucket list“ three month vacation out west visiting national parks. However family issues prevented us from traveling anytime soon. We bought a cover and it is in mint condition. We have only used it for three nights! If you would like to inquire further our email address is : vcarrico16@gmail.com
Old 10-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #57

THOR #13565
I have one!

I have one with all the requirements you listed! It is a 2018 ace 29.3 with only 1560 miles on it! We ordered it from the factory through our dealer intending to go on a three-month trip out west visiting national parks this past summer but family issues prevented us from doing that. It has a Cover and is in mint condition! If you would like to inquire further our email is vcarrico16@gmail.com
Old 10-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #58

State: Florida
THOR #8374
Dont Buy!

I have a Thor Ace and its garbage. I would buy a tent before buying a Thor Product
Old 10-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #59

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
7 different water leaks, 1 seriously damaged the floor and the other damaged the back wall. Very shoddy workmanship and materials. You will also have to install a steering stabilizer to keep it on the road.
Good luck!
Dave,

This is very insightful. I know this is NOT a Thor Motor Coach forum, but where are they in this process? Do they ever respond to customers concerns? A lot of places have Mfg monitor sites such as this and they chime in every now and then with suggestions or offer to have you reach out to them privately for resolution.

What year do you have? Can I assume all the leaks were attributed to roofing issues of the various items up top or did you have leaks inside coming from AC units?

What is deal with Steering Stabilizer? This is new to me. I drove the 29.3 once and did not notice anything. What issue would I encounter and what is the fix? Is it covered by warranty?
Old 10-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #60

State: Colorado
THOR #6286
I’m in the “run away as fast as you can camp”. There are plenty of selections and honest dealers to choose from so my suggestion would be to move on.
Good Luck!
Safe Travels