Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I will continue to be miffed for paying $75K for my Hurricane only to find out it was cheaply made. I will continue to complain, it's what I do, but I will also continue to work out the bugs and use this forum for ideas and suggestions. If you don't want to read them, block the replies I post. I also get tired of reading posts by a guy that doesn't even own a Thor. He moved on and bought a quality motorhome yet continues to post on the Thor forum. At least I have a dog in the hunt.
[emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Thor RV Forum mobile app

Old 06-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I will continue to be miffed for paying $75K for my Hurricane only to find out it was cheaply made. I will continue to complain, it's what I do, but I will also continue to work out the bugs and use this forum for ideas and suggestions. If you don't want to read them, block the replies I post. I also get tired of reading posts by a guy that doesn't even own a Thor. He moved on and bought a quality motorhome yet continues to post on the Thor forum. At least I have a dog in the hunt.

Anybody can join and be a member of this forum.
Owning a Thor product is not and never has been a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I started a binder with the previous TT, prior to the MH. Every time I see a solution here (and this forum has got some really, really smart folks) I "copy an paste" that info to a word doc, print it and file it in a 3 ring binder I have with tabs labelled "water heater" "refrigerator", plumbing system", "winterizing", "12V Systems", etc. It's now over 2 inches thick and loaded with priceless data. It will never come close to Ed's Manual but it's close for trouble shooting. Every possible issue has been covered here many times by many owners. Regardless of what you read here and think you will remember...you'll never go "brain-dead" faster than when something breaks at 10PM on a Saturday night, in the middle of nowhere. You ask yourself..."wow, where was it I read about this?". I named the book "RV Solutions". Maybe I can sell it to Thor and the others for a generic, "real-time" troubleshooting guide to be included with every new camper.

A binder wouldn't be necessary if everybody would just stick to the topic that each thread started out with. That way the search function could and would work the way it was intended.
When there is so much needless crap posted just because certain ones find the need to constantly post, or they think it's cute, it gets frustrating for everybody.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #43

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Anybody can join and be a member of this forum.
Owning a Thor product is not and never has been a requirement.

A binder wouldn't be necessary if everybody would just stick to the topic that each thread started out with. That way the search function could and would work the way it was intended.
When there is so much needless crap posted just because certain ones find the need to constantly post, or they think it's cute, it gets frustrating for everybody.

This is a "camp fire" of general discussion...not a "college class". If you read in my post..."in the middle of nowhere"...that includes areas with no internet...of which there are many in this country...thus a hard copy. A discussion about a specific issues one may have leads to similar issues that may be related. The ongoing dialog that unfolds in the threads is good data. Loose everything but hold onto your sense of humor. It may be the only thing that keeps you sane in the worst moments of your life. To die of laughter isn't a bad scenario.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Quote:
This is a "camp fire" of general discussion...not a "college class". If you read in my post..."in the middle of nowhere"...that includes areas with no internet...of which there are many in this country...thus a hard copy. A discussion about a specific issues one may have leads to similar issues that may be related. The ongoing dialog that unfolds in the threads is good data. Loose everything but hold onto your sense of humor. It may be the only thing that keeps you sane in the worst moments of your life. To die of laughter isn't a bad scenario.

No, this isn't a campfire round table. It's a forum for RV owners. Most of who are looking for help, not constant humor, criticism. neither of which help the person asking for help.

Now, don't get yourself all twisted up in a knot. I wasn't condemning, or criticizing you for making a folder. I was simply stating it wouldn't be necessary to do that, if their wasn't so much garbage being posted that it destroys the search function of this forum. I can see why you have put one together because if you want to save anything it has become a necessity here.

When things start to get off topic, it's pretty simple to start a new thread.
It's called a common courtesy.

I think it would behoove everybody if everyone would take a few minutes and read the forum rules.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/mi...ork&page=rules
Old 06-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #45

THOR #11130
I understand your point as most forums have the same issues. My only point was a hard copy will be priceless if you have no internet. I can always go online for fresh, immediate help during a crisis. When folks have a problem...it's much easier to just come to the forum and post it fresh versus hours of searching...even though there have been hundreds of previous threads on the subject before.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #46
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
With (At the moment) 13,622 members; conversations in the threads will always take on an "organic" element, and go where the crowd takes them...
If you really like reading shop manuals: they certainly are available for your enjoyment.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #47

THOR #11130
Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #48

State: Washington
THOR #6433
The best thing about making a binder is you know where it’s at and what it’s called. The search function in forums works about the same as my search function at work kind find it how people can pronounce potato differently. The best use of a binder though is when you don’t have internet access. I think I am going to make one and then have other yearly maintenance pieces in it as well. Great to have some pictures for the valves for winterizing, or if there are certain steps that you have discovered that make things easier.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #49
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I also think that a binder makes for a GREAT idea!
Old 06-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
With (At the moment) 13,622 members; conversations in the threads will always take on an "organic" element, and go where the crowd takes them...
If you really like reading shop manuals: they certainly are available for your enjoyment.

I don't know who this was intended for, But I'm thinking it was either me or Gritz.
There's not 13,622 members here. There is 14,377, and I was one of the first ones.
Things don't have to take on an "organic" element if one just uses there head a little bit rather then punching the submit button every time you happen to feel like it.
As far as reading a shop manual, I guess that is just about what Gritz has/is compiling.

BUT-- we are definitely getting WAY off topic here.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #51

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
The most amazing geezers here are those that do an immediate decompression dive on the electrical issues. Most of us have the basic skills for nuts-n-bolts, but the scientific explanations as to how the electrical systems work are priceless. You brainiacs know who you are and we don't give you enough kudos for your help.
Very true, they have taken a lot of time to lay it out the way it is and it has to have helped many
Old 06-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #52
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
...Things don't have to take on an "organic" element if one just uses there head a little bit rather then punching the submit button every time you happen to feel like it.
As far as reading a shop manual, I guess that is just about what Gritz has/is compiling.

BUT-- we are definitely getting WAY off topic here.
You see how easy it happens?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You see how easy it happens?

Apparently you just can't help yourself. That's sad.
Ya know, there is a name for people like you---TROLL!
Here is a little quote from our forum rules.

Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Now look who's gone off the reservation...
You see: you just took this to the level of a "personal attack".
Of all the things that I manage to screw up: I've always done my best to avoid those, and remain a voice of encouragement and good cheer.
But that's okay... I've been called WAY worse, and it just rolls off my back.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:59 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Now you can see how written dialog can be misunderstood.
I wasn’t attacking you. I was simply stating a fact.
I’m sorry if you misunderstood and took it that way.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:24 AM   #56

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Maybe lets just end this thread....
Old 06-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Now you can see how written dialog can be misunderstood.
I wasn’t attacking you. I was simply stating a fact.
I’m sorry if you misunderstood and took it that way.
We're cool, and I'm sorry if I over-reacted...
Old 06-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #58

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
To sum up my thoughts on the Thor bashers and there are quite a few and certainly there are some screw ups that should have been caught and not let out the factory door.

My thought is if you pay the price of a real nice pickup to purchase a motor home you surely aren't going to think you are getting a Newell Coach.

If you read closely and watch the repair centers they have their fair share of SOB's in the bay as well. Thor makes and sells way more and especially at the entry levels in several models so sure you are going to hear more about them.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #59
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Not real sure I would call Concerned Thor Owners "Bashers". Great forum looking @ all sides of the issues good & bad. I do own a Thor.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:05 PM   #60

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Thor MC pays $28,000 to $49,000 to Detroit Chassis for the Ford stripped F-53 gas chassis. Thor MC pays $5,000 to $18,000 MorRide for chassis and drive-line modifications. Thor MC installs $8,000 to $55,000 of components which are purchased from outside vendors, Thor MC sets the dealer price at 14% above cost to the smaller dealers and 8% for the larger dealers (more than about 100 coaches a year). So the cheapest coach has $41,000 fixed cost without the box and interior installed. I estimate the box materials and labor cost $30,000 and plant fixed cost of $10,000 - out the door for a total of $87,500. The list is $126,750. These figures are mine alone, derived from tours of eight different Thor Industries plants over a four year time span. The latest plant tours were JayCo Motorized and Enterga Coach two weeks ago. Just an old ME with time on his hands.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote