Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2021, 07:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Texas
THOR #1403
New Tires

Had new Toyo tires put on the Thor Challenger. Had Michelin that ran at 90 PSI, The new Toyo tires are set at 110psi
I know they say do not go by the pressure on the tire. We are going on a RT in June, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida.
I know it will be hot driving and wondering what best psi on the Toyo tires might be.
Anyone have any suggestions and experience with Toyo 110 psi tires and summer driving?

Old 05-08-2021, 07:28 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Do you tire monitors?
If you do: just keep an eye on the pressures and temperatures.
If yoy,don't: get some!
Old 05-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #3

THOR #1403
Yes have Tire Minder and will go with that then
Old 05-08-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It should be interesting to see how the pressures and temperatures change on a really hot day.
Good luck!
Old 05-08-2021, 07:49 PM   #5

THOR #1403
A few years back running on the MICHELIN tires the Tire Minder did give the over heated PSI tire warning on one tire. I pulled over and let some air out on that one tire and we were good to go
Old 05-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Thor determines tire pressures for ride quality, handling and safety. The tire manufacturer lists the maximum safe pressure for the tire. The two do not have to be equal but the tire label has to be at least the same or greater than Thor's label.

David
Old 05-08-2021, 08:22 PM   #7

Model: challenger
State: Alabama
THOR #21263
I have a 2013 challenger and just put two new sumitomo tires on the steer axle.I go by the pressure recommendations on the sticker placed by the drivers seat. 90 lbs. the tires warm up pretty quick and go well over 100+ lbs.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:39 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
The pressure in your tire isn’t determined by the brand. Thor determines the pressure by tire size and load. Set it what the prescribed tag in the RV says, that’s the cold pressure. While on your trip you notice the pressure increase significantly as much as 15 psi a tire. Get a TPMS if you don’t have one. I see many ppl try to set the pressure by the weight of the RV... pretty pointless when you consider the increase when the tire heats up.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:23 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Setting tire pressures by weight is the only safe way to go.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Setting tire pressures by weight is the only safe way to go.
Absolutely, not matter what you are driving

In case of a motor home some folks take along the sink plus a few other things and others travel lighter

Weigh the rig before you ever run lower psig than the sticker in the MH

I tend to run higher psig than some as I don't like hot tires in the summer travel season

The side wall psig is the minimum pressure for the maximum load. The psig goes up as the tire heats up
Old 05-09-2021, 01:35 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m a firm believer of following the TIRE manufacturers pressure recommendations based on actual weight. There will be a chart available online. The Thor sticker usually agrees with that chart for the OE tires at the GVWR. If you are lighter you probably can drop a few psi for a smoother ride. That said, at least in my case, the pressure table says I can run about 85psi while my yellow sticker recommends 92 and i typically aim for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	30356  
Old 05-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #12

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
The pressure in your tire isn’t determined by the brand. Thor determines the pressure by tire size and load. Set it what the prescribed tag in the RV says, that’s the cold pressure. While on your trip you notice the pressure increase significantly as much as 15 psi a tire. Get a TPMS if you don’t have one. I see many ppl try to set the pressure by the weight of the RV... pretty pointless when you consider the increase when the tire heats up.

How do you use the TPMS? You set tire pressures when cold, so when they get hot while driving and pressures go up do you make any adjustments? If one of the dual tires has a different hot pressure than the other, do you equalize them?
Old 05-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #13

THOR #21263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
How do you use the TPMS? You set tire pressures when cold, so when they get hot while driving and pressures go up do you make any adjustments? If one of the dual tires has a different hot pressure than the other, do you equalize them?
Only make pressure changes when cold.there will always be a difference in individual tires.such as the sun hitting the outer tire of the duals. the inner tire will be cooler. what your watching for is a big discrepancy in any one tire or rapid deflation deviating from all others.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #14

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanluc001 View Post
Only make pressure changes when cold.there will always be a difference in individual tires.such as the sun hitting the outer tire of the duals. the inner tire will be cooler. what your watching for is a big discrepancy in any one tire or rapid deflation deviating from all others.
Lets add that while driving the inner tire will be hotter and have a higher psig

As already noted only make psig adjustments when the tires are cool and preferable out of the direct sunlight

If you have a tire or tires running significantly hotter than the corresponding tire check your load, brakes and so on

An infrared thermometer is a handy tool to check out tires, wheels, bearing, and so on
Old 05-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #15

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
So it sounds as if a TPMS is mainly to alert if something catastrophic is happening, like a rapid deflation, which you'd probably be aware of anyway. If I check my tire pressures cold before every trip, then there doesn't seem to be a lot of benefit from a TPMS. Am I missing something?
Old 05-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #16

THOR #21263
A slow leak can lead to grossly under inflated tire that could lead to a blow out.so a tpms lets you monitor all pressures without having to go around to all the tires at the beginning of every day.just a glance at the display will save you getting out the gauge and going all around the coach. also if your flat towing you could experience a flat on your toad and not even be aware.so tpms on toad also.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I ran a small class C for 12 years with no TPMS system and had one tire failure in those 12 years, an inner dually which was punctured by a nail when we could not avoid a chunk of lumber in the road. Were we lucky with the tires? Maybe. That said I do intend to install a TPMS on this class A before we head out later this summer for an extended trip to the Rockies. The ACE we now own is always within a few pounds of max load so TPMS is just another safety item that will make me feel more comfortable heading down the highways in the summer heat.
As an aside in the Class C Gulfstream I always checked the tires in the morning before heading out and carried a tire bat and thumped them at rest stops a couple times a day. Learned that from my grandfather who was an old teamster.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
So it sounds as if a TPMS is mainly to alert if something catastrophic is happening, like a rapid deflation, which you'd probably be aware of anyway. If I check my tire pressures cold before every trip, then there doesn't seem to be a lot of benefit from a TPMS. Am I missing something?
Not missing anything. A TPMS can also cause unwarranted anxiety when it sounds a rapid deflation alarm and there is no issue except you climb a couple thousand feet in the mountains. Happened to me twice due to a faulty sensor. TireMinder sent me a new sensor.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:24 PM   #19

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Quote:

The TPMS has a safe percent over and under to chart by. Set the TPMS warnings by those %s. So do I let air out of my tires when they go over after driving for hours? Absolutely not. Then when my coach sits a site when they cool down add air? You’ll be chasing that forever. I don’t know of anyone who does that when they drive their car or truck. My dual inside and outside tires only differed by at most 2-3psi. Not worth messing with.
I also don’t know anyone who weighs their coach at stages of their trip to adjust air pressure. Especially when you have eaten a few dogs, burgers and buns and used water from your tanks, lower fuel level, used propane, kids ate too many s’mores... all adds up to different weights. Good luck with that.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:32 AM   #20

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Just curious for those that have 225/75/16 and start off at cold pressures of 80psi what would be the max operating pressure you would see on a summer day?