Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2022, 11:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano 24TT
State: Colorado
THOR #27413
Question How can I pump water into my tank from a water container ?

When I am dry camping for an extended period of time, I would like to bring extra water with which I can fill my tank. But I have not yet found a way to get the water into the tank without having the pressure of a hose (I do not have a gravity fill spout). Any ideas ?

Old 07-18-2022, 11:39 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Sounds like your RV does not have a gravity fill port. That means you need a portable pump to push the water into the shore power fill point with the block valve open so it will get to the water tank. Not the best solution, but increasingly it seems that RV builders ignore dry camping issues like gravity filling the water tank.

David
Old 07-18-2022, 11:45 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Just use the winterizing valve with the tank fill valve open.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:45 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I bought a little 12 volt transfer pump. I have several 7-gallon water jugs (Walmart). Depending on where we're going dictates how many (filled or empty) I take.

My pump hooks to house batteries with alligator clips. I forget the gallons per minute, but it's fairly quick and easy.

I use a gravity fill, but you could hook it up to a city connection and use diverter valve to route to the fresh tank.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:48 PM   #5

THOR #27413
Can you explain that a bit more ? I tried to connect a hose from a bucket to the winterizing valve, but how do I get the water to be pumped in ? Sorry, I'm new to all this !
Old 07-18-2022, 11:49 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Where is you fresh water tank located? Do you have easy access?

If I wanted to do what you seek, I could easily access the top of my fresh water tank underneath my bed. I could install something akin to a 3" plug that would pressure seal. I could then poor water directly in the tank from gallon or 5 gallon jugs.

FWIW, I would not want a Gravity fill tube on my RV. Most I see are not locked and it would just worry me.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:09 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstelzer View Post
Can you explain that a bit more ? I tried to connect a hose from a bucket to the winterizing valve, but how do I get the water to be pumped in ? Sorry, I'm new to all this !
Open the valve and turn on the water pump

It would help if you stated what kind of rig you have.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:20 AM   #8

THOR #16721
There should be a valve between your water pump and fresh water tank. Normally that valve is closed when sucking RV antifreeze into your plumbing... you don't want that in your fresh tank.

But normal operation that valve is open... so your pump draws water FROM the tank. So you leave the valve open... then put your poly hose into your water Jerry can. When you turn your water pump on, it will route the water directly into the fresh tank.

This will make more sense when/if you winterize with the pink RV antifreeze.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:34 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
There should be a valve between your water pump and fresh water tank. Normally that valve is closed when sucking RV antifreeze into your plumbing... you don't want that in your fresh tank.

But normal operation that valve is open... so your pump draws water FROM the tank. So you leave the valve open... then put your poly hose into your water Jerry can. When you turn your water pump on, it will route the water directly into the fresh tank.

This will make more sense when/if you winterize with the pink RV antifreeze.

Update:
Can you elaborate? I am not following... How is pump drawing water out of fresh water tank and into fresh water tank at the same time?

If the pump is pulling out of the line with siphon hose isn't the freshwater tank cut off? I believe my winterize valve is either or for Freshwater or siphon?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-19-2022, 12:42 AM   #10

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
When I am dry camping for an extended period of time, I would like to bring extra water with which I can fill my tank. But I have not yet found a way to get the water into the tank without having the pressure of a hose (I do not have a gravity fill spout). Any ideas ?
Is this the system you have (minus the gravity feed fill)?

Old 07-19-2022, 02:06 AM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Is this the system you have (minus the gravity feed fill)?

I glad you posted this drawing because the pumping into fresh water tank has me confused, I was conceding maybe it was my coach make, but your drawing confirms very close to what I have and see. The output side of my pump goes to the fresh water supply NOT the Fresh water tank. Further my winterize valve allows me to draw from the fresh water tank OR the siphon hose. So I am not sure I follow how water will flow up to the fresh water tank?

I don't think I would ever need to do this but I am very curious. I am back to my original post or idea which is to put a 3 in cap / plug on top of the tanks and you can pour fresh water in, or have battery operated transfer pump to fill it.

For kicks or bonus since you have a drawing. I do not even have a gravity drain on freshwater tank. I have overflow, but the only way I can drain it is to open the drains line which are on the supply (output) side of the pump and turn pump on. It drains that 70 gallon fast
Old 07-19-2022, 02:47 AM   #12

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
With this drawing, if the "Tank Fill" valve can rotate CW another 90° (from "Normal") then you could theoretically use the "Antifreeze" line... I do not have a fill valve and do not know if they can be rotated more.

But also unknown is what the OP has.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:08 AM   #13

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

Update:
Can you elaborate? I am not following... How is pump drawing water out of fresh water tank and into fresh water tank at the same time?

If the pump is pulling out of the line with siphon hose isn't the freshwater tank cut off? I believe my winterize valve is either or for Freshwater or siphon?
The suction fitting on mine has a screw in cap where I attach a poly tube. Remove the cap, attach the poly tube, insert tube into container... either open or close fresh tank valve. Valve closed = fluid gets sucked into plumbing pipes. Valve open = fluid flows to fresh tank. At least that's how mine works.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:54 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The suction fitting on mine has a screw in cap where I attach a poly tube. Remove the cap, attach the poly tube, insert tube into container... either open or close fresh tank valve. Valve closed = fluid gets sucked into plumbing pipes. Valve open = fluid flows to fresh tank. At least that's how mine works.
What are you calling Fresh Tank Valve? Is it depicted in Oldweb's picture?

I am assuming you mean the winterize valve? If so; the picture and mine is either Normal or Add Antifreeze. So when it is in Add Antifreeze it sucks it from the poly tube through the pump to the fresh water supply plumbing.

Unless there is some way pressurized fresh water supply can backfeed to the fresh water tank or just a feature of some coaches designs; I am not seeing?
Old 07-19-2022, 12:16 PM   #15

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Many units, including mine, don’t have a valve and tee between the fresh water tank and pump

You either dump antifreeze in the tank or take the pump suction off and make a suction line

No room to easily add either

In past RV'S i have filled fresh water tank through the tank drain with a 12v pump

Tuscany has a gravity fill
Old 07-19-2022, 01:24 PM   #16

THOR #27413
Thank you all, I did figure it out. Basically I set the valves to "sanitize" and "Fill tank", with a hose connected to the sanitize input. The water pump then started pumping the water from my bucket into the freshwater tank. Super easy !!!

Thanks everyone !
Old 07-19-2022, 01:45 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thank you all, I did figure it out. Basically I set the valves to "sanitize" and "Fill tank", with a hose connected to the sanitize input. The water pump then started pumping the water from my bucket into the freshwater tank. Super easy !!!

Thanks everyone !

Great, that means you have a nice coach that is plumbed to do as such

On my coach if I wanted to sanitize my fresh water tank, I have to pour the chlorine in the water hose and then connect hose to the City Fill, turn on the Fill Tank valve and water hose and presto.

Other than that, I have no way to get water in my freshwater tank, but I have never had a situation or need to do that. We have 70 gallon water tank that I always keep full. We have gone a full week on that one tank.
Old 07-19-2022, 01:56 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I have an outside gravity fill. I bring extra water for multi day events. I carry extra water in 6 galloon jugs or 15 gallon open top containers.

Depending on how my shoulder feels (TMB syndrome) I dump water in funnel or pump in using small submersable pump. For RVs with city tank fill, the submersible pump should work and is small enough to use in a 5 gallon bucket. Anything capable of 15 PSI head should work.

Note - TMB Syndrome is too many birthdays per my doc when I complain that I am frequently sore from doing minor stuff.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:10 AM   #19

Model: Delano 24RW
THOR #25563
Ours looks like this. I just follow the diagram and twist the colorful handles. Sanitize would equal siphon fill methinks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_2022_07_24_01_03_17.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	38854  
Old 07-24-2022, 02:13 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtcg View Post
Ours looks like this. I just follow the diagram and twist the colorful handles. Sanitize would equal siphon fill methinks.
That is by far the best layout and labels I have ever seen. Cannot get any clearer than that. I have learned do do all yo have without too much worry, except what your label calls "Sanitize to Tank"; I don't think it is possible in my coach, but seeing this is going to make me pull out the manual and do that dreaded "Read" thing or I may have to contact manufacturer.

Up to now, I believe the Sanitize that I can do and that manual references, is for after winterizing and it is to clean the fresh water supply lines, NOT the fresh water tank. It actually uses the the water filter as entry for the chlorine.

I think if I wanted to sanitize the tank, I would have to pour chlorine into the hose first, connect hose to City fill and fill her up. With the heat being what it has been, I think I will sanitize today.

Tags
fill water tank