Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2020, 08:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
New Upholstery

Well, finally going to bite the bullet and have upholstery redone in my 2014 Thor Windsport 34f. Yes, I am tired of the flaking pleather.

Wife picked out new material, ordered today, should be in Tuesday. Estimate to cover 2 captain's chairs, U shaped dinette, and sofa =$1800. New color is a light tan.

When complete, I will attach photos.

Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #2

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymac View Post
Well, finally going to bite the bullet and have upholstery redone in my 2014 Thor Windsport 34f. Yes, I am tired of the flaking pleather.

Wife picked out new material, ordered today, should be in Tuesday. Estimate to cover 2 captain's chairs, U shaped dinette, and sofa =$1800. New color is a light tan.

When complete, I will attach photos.
Good for you! $1800 doesn't sound too awfully bad. Is that including the material? A shop in our town told us 1800 for the captains chairs!
Old 02-28-2020, 12:22 AM   #3

THOR #6507
Yes, $1800 for 20 yards of material. This includes labor. This is a small shop run by two people, been in business 30+ years.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:56 AM   #4

Model: 37gt Challenger
State: Arkansas
THOR #12432
Another option is new Captain chair skins. Just ordered for 2014 Challenger from flexsteel. 425 each. Will post some pictures when done.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:52 PM   #5

THOR #6507
Turned-in RV this morning. Told it will be about 3 weeks. Shop owner stated that he will start with the sofa, then dinette, then captain's chairs. I have trip planned for 1st week of April. If he is not complete, I will get chairs done after trip.

Will post pictures as soon as possible.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:42 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 34J
State: New Jersey
THOR #18880
@rvman would love to see what the flexsteel covers ended up looking like. Same with the upholstery work! Thanks! Our pleather is terrible too! Really sad quality!
Old 07-25-2022, 04:51 AM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #27403
I am new to this forum, driven here by the big disappointment in all the upholstery in our 2018 Thor Windsport. The flaking on the couch started only 3 years after accepting delivery and now all the upholstery is looking awful and there is nothing that can fix it. We replaced the couch at great expense but the two captain chairs will cost even more. I am shocked to see how long this has been a problem and wonder if there is some sort of class action lawsuit to force Thor to stop using this cheap inferior fabric. You pay 100K for something that starts looking shabby in 3 years and you have no recourse? This problem is ruining what was a happy customers experience initially, and I can no longer recommend Thor to people who are interested in RVing.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcheck View Post
I am new to this forum, driven here by the big disappointment in all the upholstery in our 2018 Thor Windsport. The flaking on the couch started only 3 years after accepting delivery and now all the upholstery is looking awful and there is nothing that can fix it. We replaced the couch at great expense but the two captain chairs will cost even more. I am shocked to see how long this has been a problem and wonder if there is some sort of class action lawsuit to force Thor to stop using this cheap inferior fabric. You pay 100K for something that starts looking shabby in 3 years and you have no recourse? This problem is ruining what was a happy customers experience initially, and I can no longer recommend Thor to people who are interested in RVing.
We bought entry level Thor. Not Prevost. I bought 2 seat covers from CW and installed on the captains chairs day one. After 1 year we replaced the crappy jack knife loveseat with dual recliners from shop4seats. We also keep the windows covered to reduce sun exposure. If and when vinyl flakes, we’ll address as a necessary expense. It is what it is, inexpensive seating material that will deteriorate rapidly. Bite the bullet and replace with something that makes you happy.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:48 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
We bought entry level Thor. Not Prevost. I bought 2 seat covers from CW and installed on the captains chairs day one. After 1 year we replaced the crappy jack knife loveseat with dual recliners from shop4seats. We also keep the windows covered to reduce sun exposure. If and when vinyl flakes, we’ll address as a necessary expense. It is what it is, inexpensive seating material that will deteriorate rapidly. Bite the bullet and replace with something that makes you happy.

You might consider yourself lucky that your seats lasted 3 years. The ones on our 2019 Newmar began to fail in 6 months. There’s nothing for it but to replace or reupholster them. Just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it’s high quality. I hope you find a good solution,