Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Delaware
THOR #803
Newbie battery issue

DW and I purchased a 2014 thor challenger 37gt and are living in it full time until we retire in November.

We have been plugged in at a campground for the last two weeks. For some reason, I thought I was supposed to hit the battery disconnect switch, as we have no current plans to take it out for at least a month.

The digital clock in the cockpit went out last night and now I discover that fans lights etc do not work. I discovered that I should not have hit the disconnect switch. My question now is will the chassis battery recharge from the coach batteries (still connected to shore power). Is there another solution to recharging like running the rig's engine for a while or have I killed my battery in only two weeks.

HELP!

Dan:

Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
There is a charger built into your convertor. If you are plugged into the campground electric, it should recharge your batteries if you switch the disconnect back.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
You should disconnect the batteries with the connect/disconnect switch when you put the RV into storage and have no means to run the charger (such as leaving 120VAC power on).

Of course, you will have to reconnect the batteries with the connect/disconnect switch to use them again.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Delaware
THOR #803
Thanks guys.

I found that I had accidentally hit the emergency start button. It seems to have killed all the power to the dash area. Once I reset, everything was copacetic. Kinda glad I did it though, before I did severely run down the chassis battery. Learning as I go.

Tags
battery, newbie