Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2017, 03:01 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #8149
Unhappy No 12v and Hidden Battery Disconnect

2016 Four Winds 28Z bought from a dealer (former rental unit).

No 12v unless genny or SP, new coach batteries, obvious breaker somewhere: No power to "Use/Store" switch and no power to solenoid (located behind Load Center in Master Bedroom after removing entire Load Center chassis from wall mount). No Battery Disconnect breaker in Battery compartment under steps in spite of 4 calls to TMC, no ideas on their part either.

$375 later, local service dept found it located behind and out of sight when Load Center removed in its entirety from wall in BR.

It trips again when I connect to SP. Accessible as an ant's rectum.

National Electric Code says that the breaker should be in battery compartment within 50 cms of terminal.

#1 Question: What causes the tripped breaker? The Jensen radio in the Master BR shows time but nothing else, fuse is good
#2 Question: How to put a battery disconnect breaker where it belongs--do I need to remove the breaker presently located in an inaccessible place?
#3 Question: Doesn't RVIA have a stake in this sort of code violation /fire hazard? Their name and seal are on the door.

Needless to say, TMC has not been helpful--I understand no warranty but their wiring schematic is for your amusement only--no bearing on reality.

Any thoughts/ opinions would be more helpful than TMC so far.
Thanks

Old 09-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett48 View Post

It trips again when I connect to SP. Accessible as an ant's rectum.

National Electric Code says that the breaker should be in battery compartment within 50 cms of terminal.

#1 Question: What causes the tripped breaker? The Jensen radio in the Master BR shows time but nothing else, fuse is good
#2 Question: How to put a battery disconnect breaker where it belongs--do I need to remove the breaker presently located in an inaccessible place?
#3 Question: Doesn't RVIA have a stake in this sort of code violation /fire hazard? Their name and seal are on the door.
Thanks
Does it trip if running on Genny?
Trying to picture what would trip a 12v breaker when plugging into SP... Converter is only device that would cross over.

Jensen radio likely getting 'keep alive' power from chassis.

You can always add another breaker... But the inaccessible one could still be the one that trips... Even if it is rated at higher current.

Following NEC is always a good idea, but an RV isn't a house... Not clear it would be enforceable...

RVIA is not responsible for Thor's manufacturing...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #3

State: Tennessee
THOR #8149
The NEC addresses RV manufacturing standards in Section 551 and 552, and yes, RVIA supposedly ensures proper construction by their insignia (or not).

If I can gain access to the hidden breaker, can I merely jump it and place an automotive disconnect in the battery compartment (where code says it should be)?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Well... If you already know the answer, why ask? Lol

Quote:
As members of RVIA, manufacturers who display the seal must self-certify compliance with more than 500 safety specifications for electrical, plumbing, heating, fire and life safety established under the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standard for Recreational Vehicles. Manufacturers are subject to periodic, unannounced plant inspections by RVIA representatives to audit their compliance. Members who fail to maintain an acceptable level of compliance can be expelled from the Association, which prohibits them from displaying the RVIA seal on their products.
You can certainly file a complaint with them... And if they find a pattern they could expell Thor... If you think that will happen, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you...
As stated, the manufacturers self certify compliance.
RVIA will have no legal responsibility for Thor's mistakes.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
So yeah, if you can access it enough remove the breaker and either splice the two wires and heatshrink them or put them in a JB. Move that breaker to the battery compartment.
As far as the instant trip goes, try connecting to SP on a switched circuit that way there is no chance of drawing an arc and tripping the brkr. Campground connection boxes are set up so you connect on a dead bus and switch the brkr to energize eliminating any arc.