Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Louisiana
THOR #24267
Inverter Issues?

Not sure if the issue I am having is the same, but it is close… When I am on S/P, my Xantrax PRO XM1000 is fine and everything is functioning properly. But when off of S/P, no Gen and the vehicle running or off, my Xantrex display has a ‘red’ fault light and then shows a E05 Code, ‘Over Load’. I have no DC Power at this time. No lights in camper and no Radio/Cameras system on dash. I have a 2018 Thor Four Winds 31W. I have checked all fuses on the Power Distribution Box/Converter and everything is good. I will start looking at the fuses around the battery box and under the hood. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-05-2022, 07:02 PM   #2

Model: Quantum PD31
State: Colorado
THOR #5737
Thumbs down Any solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc041964 View Post
Not sure if the issue I am having is the same, but it is close… When I am on S/P, my Xantrax PRO XM1000 is fine and everything is functioning properly. But when off of S/P, no Gen and the vehicle running or off, my Xantrex display has a ‘red’ fault light and then shows a E05 Code, ‘Over Load’. I have no DC Power at this time. No lights in camper and no Radio/Cameras system on dash. I have a 2018 Thor Four Winds 31W. I have checked all fuses on the Power Distribution Box/Converter and everything is good. I will start looking at the fuses around the battery box and under the hood. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having the same issue with my Pro XM1800.. Did you find a solution to your E05 overlaod issue? I have no power to TV outlets, refrigerator, and other outlets along 3A; doesn't matter if shore power or generator.. I have plugged these appliances into extension cord to house and all work. I have reset the inverter by taking the negative battery cables off for 30 minutes. Still no power to this electrical bank. error code E05 returns after several minutes. I have checked all fuses and the circuit breaker at the battery compartment.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:19 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpassell View Post
I'm having the same issue with my Pro XM1800.. Did you find a solution to your E05 overlaod issue? I have no power to TV outlets, refrigerator, and other outlets along 3A; doesn't matter if shore power or generator.. I have plugged these appliances into extension cord to house and all work. I have reset the inverter by taking the negative battery cables off for 30 minutes. Still no power to this electrical bank. error code E05 returns after several minutes. I have checked all fuses and the circuit breaker at the battery compartment.
E-05 is an over current forced shutdown. The system must go through a full system reset to clear the error. But first check to see if the 15 amp circuit breaker on the inverter frame is popped. If it is push to reset. It is a small black unlabeled button usually on the inverters right side.
To reset the inverter: trip the 15 amp 120 volt circuit breaker for the inverter pass-through in the power-center. Then go to the house battery compartment is trip the 200 amp 12 volt circuit breaker. Wait at least a couple hours with both CBs tripped. This time is necessary for the large capacitors in the output power section of the inverter dissipate their charges. The Xantrex manual says to wait 24 hours but I find this unnecessary.
Makes sure any appliance that can use 120 volt inverter power is off. I recommend unplugging the TVs and fridge, etc. That is probably overkill but it only takes a couple minutes. Reset the inverter's 12 volt CB in the house battery compartment and check. for power to the inverter panel by turning the inverter on. You should see the nominal battery voltage and little or no current. If you still get an E-05 display, you probably have destroyed one or more of the power transistors in the output section of the inverter. If everything is OK on the panel then reset the 15 amp CB in the power center.

Your fridge draws considerable current during its defrost cycle and can easily trip the inverter if anything else is drawing inverter power. Heaters and hair driers are also not kind to small inverters.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:48 PM   #4

THOR #5737
Thanks Beau, I checked the 15 amp circuit breaker on the inverter frame is not popped out. I took the screws off the mount off the inverter so I could get a better look at it and the positive cable was pretty loose. I'm hoping this might be my issue. but I'm going thru the reset process you stated to get rid of the E05 error message. If the loose positive connection is not the issue.. I'm thinking the inverter has got internal issues??
Old 09-06-2022, 03:14 PM   #5

THOR #5737
Question Same error E05 on inverter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
E-05 is an over current forced shutdown. The system must go through a full system reset to clear the error. But first check to see if the 15 amp circuit breaker on the inverter frame is popped. If it is push to reset. It is a small black unlabeled button usually on the inverters right side.
To reset the inverter: trip the 15 amp 120 volt circuit breaker for the inverter pass-through in the power-center. Then go to the house battery compartment is trip the 200 amp 12 volt circuit breaker. Wait at least a couple hours with both CBs tripped. This time is necessary for the large capacitors in the output power section of the inverter dissipate their charges. The Xantrex manual says to wait 24 hours but I find this unnecessary.
Makes sure any appliance that can use 120 volt inverter power is off. I recommend unplugging the TVs and fridge, etc. That is probably overkill but it only takes a couple minutes. Reset the inverter's 12 volt CB in the house battery compartment and check. for power to the inverter panel by turning the inverter on. You should see the nominal battery voltage and little or no current. If you still get an E-05 display, you probably have destroyed one or more of the power transistors in the output section of the inverter. If everything is OK on the panel then reset the 15 amp CB in the power center.

Your fridge draws considerable current during its defrost cycle and can easily trip the inverter if anything else is drawing inverter power. Heaters and hair driers are also not kind to small inverters.

Thanks again for the advice; I'm still getting the E05 Error So I'm going with a portion of the inverter is bad?? because I still get power to A/C, slide out and other normal things that only power when on shore power or generator. The Tv's, residential frig and those outlets don't work. I hear the inverter fans turn on when its plugged to SP.

Now the question is to what inverter to get for replacement. I always felt that this Xantrex Pro 1800 was just enough due to the residential frig and feel like I should upgrade at this point to a more powerful unit. Any advice on what to get and where?
Old 09-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpassell View Post
Thanks again for the advice; I'm still getting the E05 Error So I'm going with a portion of the inverter is bad?? because I still get power to A/C, slide out and other normal things that only power when on shore power or generator. The Tv's, residential frig and those outlets don't work. I hear the inverter fans turn on when its plugged to SP.

Now the question is to what inverter to get for replacement. I always felt that this Xantrex Pro 1800 was just enough due to the residential frig and feel like I should upgrade at this point to a more powerful unit. Any advice on what to get and where?
Your inverter's size should always be based on the size of your house battery bank
For example, figure about 50 amp max draw from a group 31 deep cycle flooded battery. So to power a 2,000 watt inverter you would typically need 4 group 31 flooded batteries. 2,000 watts @ 12.2 volts is 164 amps. Inverter efficiencies are about 85% average, so 193 amps @ 12.2 volt in for 16.7 amps @ 120 volts out.

If you plan on running any electrical motor with the inverter, it is best to use a true sine wave inverter. Heat producing devices and solid state devices do really care about the wave shape the AC power..

I use a Xantrex Freedom Xi 2000 with three, no maintenance marine group 29 flooded batteries I did the conversion 2019 and included a sub panel to power all 120 volt duplex receptacles in the coach except for the GFCI ones. All is good so far.
I don't know how much spare room you have under the bed but the Xantrex Freedom X series is much larger the the Xantrex Pro series inverters.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:21 PM   #7

THOR #5737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Your inverter's size should always be based on the size of your house battery bank
For example, figure about 50 amp max draw from a group 31 deep cycle flooded battery. So to power a 2,000 watt inverter you would typically need 4 group 31 flooded batteries. 2,000 watts @ 12.2 volts is 164 amps. Inverter efficiencies are about 85% average, so 193 amps @ 12.2 volt in for 16.7 amps @ 120 volts out.

If you plan on running any electrical motor with the inverter, it is best to use a true sine wave inverter. Heat producing devices and solid state devices do really care about the wave shape the AC power..

I use a Xantrex Freedom Xi 2000 with three, no maintenance marine group 29 flooded batteries I did the conversion 2019 and included a sub panel to power all 120 volt duplex receptacles in the coach except for the GFCI ones. All is good so far.
I don't know how much spare room you have under the bed but the Xantrex Freedom X series is much larger the the Xantrex Pro series inverters.
Thanks again; I have ordered the Xantrex Freedom Xi 2000 today and will plan to add a third battery in my line. I have plenty of room as my inverter is on the top of one of my storage compartments.