Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2022, 09:29 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Louisiana
Posts: 27
THOR #14398
No electric power in MH

I keep my Vegas 25.6 plugged into 30 amp shore power at my home. Due to expected cold weather this week, I plugged in an electric heater to keep things warm overnite. When I returned the next afternoon to check on status, I found no power in MH.

I checked power supply and found 120 volts all the way up to outside wall plug of MH. I checked the voltage at the hardwired Progressive Industries Electrical Management System behind the main power center and found none.

I cranked generator and checked power again at the EMS and found none.

The only thing I could think of between the electrical plug on outside of MH and the EMS was the Automatic Transfer System. So I pulled the rear wall panel and contorted my body so that I could see under the fresh water tank and locate the ATS. There it was, a 7x8" box 5" tall in a 10" tall space screwed down at all four corners. Apparently put in before the back wall and holding tank due to the rear angle of the screws. I was able to get it out and found this (see attached photo).

I took the ATS and the generator input out of the line and just wired shore power directly to the EMS.

Any suggestions as to what/why this happened?

Should I go back with another Progressive Industries 5100 or another brand?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8B468275-297C-4293-A8F4-34C0504ACD4F.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	35756  

__________________
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:47 PM   #2
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 8,930
THOR #7035
Common problem with poor wirenut high resistance connections. The ATS may be fine, just need to replace the wirenuts with better quality connections. Many people replace with WAGO splicing connectors.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:00 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Louisiana
Posts: 27
THOR #14398
Thanks for your response. There seems to be a fair amount of “green colored” corrosion on one of the relay contacts and some fasteners in bottom of box. Also some pitting on contacts. Do you think it is still salvageable?

Again thanks for your reply.
__________________
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
paulwadley's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
Posts: 1,901
THOR #12698
It is a good thing that you thought about looking at it. Those could cause a major fire inside your coach.


Paul
__________________
paulwadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:04 AM   #5
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 8,930
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Thanks for your response. There seems to be a fair amount of “green colored” corrosion on one of the relay contacts and some fasteners in bottom of box. Also some pitting on contacts. Do you think it is still salvageable?

Again thanks for your reply.
The picture is too dark to see the actual status of the relay and its contacts. If the relay is damaged, replace the whole thing. They're not that expensive and available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Re...dp/B00IYUPRUG/
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
Posts: 825
THOR #2817
Here is a better photo of the Automatic Transfer Switch


I would buy a new ATS.
__________________
Metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:09 PM   #7
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 8,930
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Here is a better photo of the Automatic Transfer Switch


I would buy a new ATS.
Yep, that relay looks too toasted. He's lucky the RV didn't burn to the ground.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:49 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Louisiana
Posts: 27
THOR #14398
I appreciate all of the replies. I posted to see if my theory of a bad wiring connection could have been the cause of this.

The bare copper wire in lower left corner is the scorched/burnt Neutral with the remains of a burned wire nut on the end. It was originally attached to the other charred wire in lower left corner that connects to the relay. This was the Neutral wire going to the EMS and the power center.

I ordered a new one today.

Thanks again for the input.
Mike
__________________
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:49 PM   #9
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Delano 24TT
State: Florida
Posts: 31
THOR #24507
Make sure you use a toque measuring wrench and follow instructions on toque specifications for the screws especially on the relays. My unit was a Southwire Unit and they sent me the toque specs for the screws and lugs. They have to be fairly tight. Definitely can be a fire hazard. Your unit is not repairable. It is a good thing you caught it now rather than on a trip.
__________________
Long time between RV’s.
83 Pace Arrow 27 A
2022 Thor Delano 24TT
Stevemcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Scubawise's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
Posts: 2,974
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
I keep my Vegas 25.6 plugged into 30 amp shore power at my home. Due to expected cold weather this week, I plugged in an electric heater to keep things warm overnite. When I returned the next afternoon to check on status, I found no power in MH.

I checked power supply and found 120 volts all the way up to outside wall plug of MH. I checked the voltage at the hardwired Progressive Industries Electrical Management System behind the main power center and found none.

I cranked generator and checked power again at the EMS and found none.

The only thing I could think of between the electrical plug on outside of MH and the EMS was the Automatic Transfer System. So I pulled the rear wall panel and contorted my body so that I could see under the fresh water tank and locate the ATS. There it was, a 7x8" box 5" tall in a 10" tall space screwed down at all four corners. Apparently put in before the back wall and holding tank due to the rear angle of the screws. I was able to get it out and found this (see attached photo).

I took the ATS and the generator input out of the line and just wired shore power directly to the EMS.

Any suggestions as to what/why this happened?

Should I go back with another Progressive Industries 5100 or another brand?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Mike
Hi fresh water tank behind my bedroom drawer under right side of rear closet. Is the ATS under the actual water tank?
Do you have a picture?
__________________
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
Posts: 547
THOR #13869
I didn't see it mentioned, so I will, use some sort of electrical di-electric grease on the connections, or de-oxidation grease to prevent corrosion.

I put some in the wire nut before putting it on. Notice your own problem areas and apply it there. I'd also put some where every ground connection is too.
__________________
.....
Rusty
10scDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
Posts: 825
THOR #2817
After looking at the photo, it is possible that moisture was a problem inside the ATS switch. The ground wires are very dull looking. Though perhaps the fumes from burning insulation caused the dullness. I don't think that wire nuts are appropriate for mobile applications due to vibrations. High current carrying applications can add to the problem. There are crimp-on connectors and set screw butt connectors that might be better.
__________________
Metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:37 PM   #13
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Delano 24TT
State: Florida
Posts: 31
THOR #24507
Agree with metalman. I do not have any wire nuts in my ATS. My main wires are hooked directly to the transfer switch relays. I would not like my ATS under the water tank either but….
__________________
Long time between RV’s.
83 Pace Arrow 27 A
2022 Thor Delano 24TT
Stevemcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:43 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Louisiana
Posts: 27
THOR #14398
Thanks again for these replies. The new ATS has "quick flip connectors" see pic attached.


Scubawise: the ATS is under the left side of freshwater holding tank. I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick connects.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	35866  
__________________
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Scubawise's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
Posts: 2,974
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Thanks again for these replies. The new ATS has "quick flip connectors" see pic attached.


Scubawise: the ATS is under the left side of freshwater holding tank. I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow.
Great job did you remove all the drawers or the bottom shoe rack ?
__________________
New Mexico 2020 Thor Vegas 25.6
Lora & George. 2 Golden Retrievers (age 12 & 8). Happy Campers!! Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #16
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 8,930
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Thanks again for these replies. The new ATS has "quick flip connectors" see pic attached.


Scubawise: the ATS is under the left side of freshwater holding tank. I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow.
Well isn't that convenient! What brand/model is that? Maybe Thor should start using them as OEM parts.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:15 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Louisiana
Posts: 27
THOR #14398
Yes, I found these connectors quite easy to use.
Progressive Dynamics Transfer Switch with Quick Flip Connectors - Plastic Case - 30 Amp - 120V Item # PD5110010Q
__________________
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:53 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Louisiana
Posts: 27
THOR #14398
Scubawise, you asked for pic of ATS placement. See attached photos.


1. shows location of screws holding in my "magazine rack" After removing screws, the "magazine rack" was jammed in tight but did come out with little coaxing. I only put 2 screws in it (one on each side) when I closed it up the first time I removed it months ago. The two have held it in place without any issues.


2. shows "magazine rack" removed exposing fresh water holding tank.


3. shows location of ATS and water pump. You just about have to stand on your head to remove screws at four corners of ATS.


Hope these help.


Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	35893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	35894  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	35895  
__________________
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:55 PM   #19
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 8,930
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Scubawise, you asked for pic of ATS placement. See attached photos.


1. shows location of screws holding in my "magazine rack" After removing screws, the "magazine rack" was jammed in tight but did come out with little coaxing. I only put 2 screws in it (one on each side) when I closed it up the first time I removed it months ago. The two have held it in place without any issues.


2. shows "magazine rack" removed exposing fresh water holding tank.


3. shows location of ATS and water pump. You just about have to stand on your head to remove screws at four corners of ATS.


Hope these help.


Mike

Mike; you're doing a great job of adding to the Forum's knowledgebase.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:07 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Scubawise's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
Posts: 2,974
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Scubawise, you asked for pic of ATS placement. See attached photos.


1. shows location of screws holding in my "magazine rack" After removing screws, the "magazine rack" was jammed in tight but did come out with little coaxing. I only put 2 screws in it (one on each side) when I closed it up the first time I removed it months ago. The two have held it in place without any issues.


2. shows "magazine rack" removed exposing fresh water holding tank.


3. shows location of ATS and water pump. You just about have to stand on your head to remove screws at four corners of ATS.


Hope these help.


Mike
Mike you are the best ! Lora and I appreciate. I saved to our Amazon album !
__________________
New Mexico 2020 Thor Vegas 25.6
Lora & George. 2 Golden Retrievers (age 12 & 8). Happy Campers!! Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2