Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2019, 12:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #10718
water in hydraulic compartment

I posted several things about water intrusion in basement storage of our 2017 Venetian A40. Repairs were done at factory service Center but a little road spray is still getting in to basement and hydraulic compartment. New seals have been installed and additional "Great Stuff" added. But road splash water still getting in when driving in rain. There is on opening at the top of the compartment where heavy wiring harness is located and there is pretty good size space to the upper outside area. I don't know if that is where water gets in. I don't think it should be foamed due the wiring harness. Anyone else out there with similar issues? Factory did a pretty good job of doing repairs but the work was not subjected to water testing. After leaving factory service Center we finally drove through rain and that is how we discovered the other small amount of water intrusion.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:44 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
What consideration makes you believe wires shouldn't have foam on them?
Old 11-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
My coaches all have had spray foam insulation around wire entry point. I never have seen an issue with spray foam around the wiring.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
^^^^^^^ That.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
My coaches all have had spray foam insulation around wire entry point. I never have seen an issue with spray foam around the wiring.
Every opening from the lower portion of my coach is sealed with foam or silicone
Old 11-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #6

THOR #10718
Based on all of the other water intrusion which was caused by factory assembly people who never foamed the storage sections around chassis rails, I was not surprised as to the mini mb al foam in the hydraulic compartment. There are several wire harness connection in the open area which is about 6" x 4". I can't see how foam would attach. Also this open area is on shelf above the hydraulics. I thought about using seam tape but you have to be an octopus to reach up there. I guess it's off to HD for more "Great Stuff."
Old 01-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #7

THOR #10718
More water intrusion

The saga continues regarding water getting into the basement storage compartment. We took another drive in heavy rain. I rode in the basement. Water came in via the driver side chassis rail. When my wife would brake the front of the coach would dive down causing water to run forward. It came out of the plastic trough that houses some wiring and 2 pipes drips down. A very small amount of water came in from 2 storage compartment upper door seals. I guess the total amount of water that came in was approx. 1/4 cup. For anyone who has had their Venetian and Tuscany coaches "repaired" really need to check and see if water is getting in. I will be following up with Thor.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #8

THOR #10718
More water intrusion

I finally located the source where road spray entered the hydraulic compartment on the 2017 Venetian A40. After sunset I had my wife use a spot light in the compartment as I was laying underneath. Light came through the opening where the bundled wiring goes through under the right side under the shelf. More expanding foam should solve the problem. Quality Control is needed!!!!!
Old 03-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #9

THOR #10718
I contacted Thor and explained the water intrusion problems are still present. Thor advised they would work on the problems again so it is back to Wakarusa later this spring.