Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2019, 03:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 23h
State: New York
THOR #13693
No Power

I have a 2017 Thor Outlaw. I was plugged in at the campsite. Must have had too many things running and half the power quit. I checked and reset the breakers at the pole...good. I looked at the 5 breakers in the camper ...good. I checked the bathroom's GFI...good. Any other place I should be looking? Everything works on the genny.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinez View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Outlaw. I was plugged in at the campsite. Must have had too many things running and half the power quit. I checked and reset the breakers at the pole...good. I looked at the 5 breakers in the camper ...good. I checked the bathroom's GFI...good. Any other place I should be looking? Everything works on the genny.
If "Everything works on the genny" but on SP only half works then you have a problem at the Automatic Transfer Switch, a common Thor MH kit problem. Find it (normally near the breaker panel) open the top after disconnecting all AC power and check those wirenuts. You'll probably find some loose ones and maybe even some burnt ones.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:56 AM   #3

THOR #13693
Thanks but there are 2 drawers above this breaker panel. Where else should I look?
Old 08-07-2019, 04:37 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Did you pull out the drawers to see what is behind the breaker panel?

Is there an accessible area (like under a bench seat) between the breaker panel and the SP connector and/or generator? Looking at your floor plan I would say it is under one of the bench seats. You may have to unscrew some screws to lift the plywood panel. Maybe under the fridge.

I based my previous comment on assuming you had 50 Amp shore power but it looks like you may only have 30 Amps? Do you have an inverter?
Old 08-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
Maybe I didn't look at your floor plan. Do you have an Outlaw? Or a Freedom Elite 23H. Because I see no Outlaw 23H.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
No Power

I have a 2018 Outlaw 29H and the transfer switch is located in the rear outside storage compartment on the drivers side where the shore power cable is located.

If you have some AC power on some circuits when on shore power it is probably not the transfer switch.

How did you verify the GFCI is ok? Did you measure voltage there and then trip the GFCI? A bad GFCI will effect the other outlets wired to it while other circuits would be ok.

Here are some things you can look at.......

First make sure you are unplugged and the genny is not running.

My 29H has an Inverter and the AC is passed through it to power the TV’s. My Inverter is located next to my transfer switch and it has an external breaker (small black round button type). Check to make sure yours is not tripped. That would stop power to the TV’s..... even when on shore power.

Then check the transfer switch. The cover comes off easily to let you check the wire nut connections where the shore power comes in and connects into the relay.

If the connections and wiring look good, try spraying some electrical contact cleaner on the relays.

If you don’t make any progress with the Inverter and Transfer Switch, remove the drawer above the circuit breakers to give you access to the wiring. Pull the plastic cover off the WFCO panel (held on by 4 - 6 screws) so you can check the wiring and connections at the buss bar.

When you remove the drawer, you will see a couple junction boxes. Take the covers off and check the wiring and connections there as well.

Again... make sure the genny is off and you are unplugged when checking the wiring and connections. Only plug in to test any changes you might have made by tightening wire nuts, etc. then unplug to close things back up.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #7

THOR #13693
The GFI works when the generator is on. Does that tell me something?
Old 08-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #8

THOR #12751
No Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinez View Post
The GFI works when the generator is on. Does that tell me something?

It does.... tells us the GFCI circuit is ok!!!

I’d start going through the list of things above I mentioned.

Do you have some power when plugged in or no power anywhere on the AC side when plugged into shore power?
Old 08-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #9

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Before going through all that checklist, verify that the pedestal cicuit breakers are both good. One pole of the two pole breakers could be defective and you would experience the same results. It may not be your problem at all! Ask the campground maintenance to verify the voltage for you.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Good catch.....

I use a Progressive EMS so I always know whether the camp power is good, bad or working so I didn’t even think of that possibility.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #11

THOR #13693
Thanks for the help. After waiting two days for a mobile repair man, it WAS the pole. There was a breaker tipped INSIDE the main office. I even talked with them several times about my problem and they didn't even check. Talk about stressing me out on vacation...
Thanks for all the suggestions