Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 38sq
State: California
THOR #4598
Need Help with Entry Door Issue

Yesterday I encountered a problem with the entry step on my 2016 Thor Tuscany XTE 34st. When I arrived at the coach I turned on the chassis battery disconnect and the step extended as usual. A short time later when I closed the coach door I noticed the step had not fully closed, it was about 2 inches from full closure. I recycled the step and it again failed to fully close. The step failed to move at all when I tried additional recycling of the step. The step is now extended approximately 2 inches from the full up position and will not go either up on down. Can one of the members of this forum please provide me with some advice as where to start trouble shooting this issue. Thank you.

Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #2

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Yesterday I encountered a problem with the entry step on my 2016 Thor Tuscany XTE 34st. When I arrived at the coach I turned on the chassis battery disconnect and the step extended as usual. A short time later when I closed the coach door I noticed the step had not fully closed, it was about 2 inches from full closure. I recycled the step and it again failed to fully close. The step failed to move at all when I tried additional recycling of the step. The step is now extended approximately 2 inches from the full up position and will not go either up on down. Can one of the members of this forum please provide me with some advice as where to start trouble shooting this issue. Thank you.

I would start by looking under the step, maybe binding or needs lubing , worth a try.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
My step hangs up if I do not regularly lubricate it I run my front jacks up fully so I can see the recommended lube points. I lay on my back and with safety glasses, I spray first with brake clean to wash the grit out and then follow up with the CRC dry power lube with PTFE
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
I once had the clevis pin back out partially, get bent and cause something similar. I found a new clevis at Lowe's or Home depot to replace it.
It's kind of hard to wotk on as the motor seems to push the step up against a stop in either direction. The only way to get it to stop half way so you can attempt to work on it, is to pull the wire connection apart. Beware of the moving parts. That thing is strong.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany 38sq
THOR #4598
Thanks guys, I will take each of your suggestions under consideration as I move forward in an attempt to resolve this issue. One thing I failed to mention is that when I attempt to operate the steps there is no sound of the motor running at all.
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:18 AM   #6

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Does the light go on and off, but no motor sound? Mine did that this year too. I took the clevis out and it started working again, so I put it back together.
The truest statement I've heard on this forum is "The only thing that works on this motorhome is me".
Old 07-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Did you take it in for the Step Recall? Thor recalled a bunch of them from 2011 to 2016. Not saying this is the issue but wouldn't hurt to call them.

Thor Motorhome Recall: Unsafe Electric Steps - RV Tip of the Day
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote