Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2021, 12:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #22881
No Power - Power Switch light stays on

I just replaced house batteries 2 weeks ago. Go to the RV today, and power switch light is on. Press the switch and it goes off while pressed but comes back on once released. No lights or other power in the coach. Monitor panel is dead. Can't start the generator. The engine starts fine, but no life to the house while engine is running. Try to raise the jacks, and get low voltage error on the panel. I am attaching a picture of the battery disconnect device. There is a board attached that looks like it should have a wire attached at the end. There is a gray wire coming from the fuse box circuit panel that is not attached to anything. I am guessing that is at least one problem. Can anyone validate that and give hints on how to fix that? Also I am guessing that I have had a drain on the batteries, and that pulling them out and connecting to a charger might help some of the problems. Again looking for some confirmation that I am on the right path. I have a 2019 Thor Windsport 34J that I bought used last March. With COVID, didn't get a chance to put it through its paces before the warranty expired. Now I have a lot of fixing to do to it without warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210405_181404.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	29623  

Old 04-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #2

Model: Delano
State: Georgia
THOR #22911
Same here sort of

I just purchased a new Delano. My main power switch will not turn off. Light stays on as well as power to house from house battery. I have a rocker switch one way momentary action so you press and it springs back to original position. I have that same solenoid mechanism as you. When I press the switch the solenoid bumps but does not latch. New unit by seems to be bad. I know at some point it worked. The 2 fuses are good. One is for light and the other is for switch operation. Had a case open with Thor. They are sending another switch but I do not think that is it. Switch works, solenoid will not latch. No shore power connected, engine is off, inverter is off. Getting to that solenoid to change it will be a bear to wrestle. Can’t just lift the lid on bed. Let me know what you find. Hmm pics are upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17F30A63-FB70-4FAF-9FA4-8C3A49898A94.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	29673   Click image for larger version

Name:	7B01CBB8-5AD5-4A66-8E19-096F5182401A.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	29674  

Old 04-08-2021, 01:02 AM   #3

State: Illinois
THOR #22881
Following up

Well, looks like my issue was just the low battery. Or at least, when I pulled the batteries out and charged them each for 8 hours, the main power switch works, I have power in the coach, and slides, generator and leveling jacks all are working. Of course, will need to determine why the battery went low in the first place. The pictures are upside down, because, of course, everything is under the bed, where it is hard to get to. So now that is settled, I pulled out the old residential fridge that was completely shot, and put in a new one. Fortunately, with the doors pulled off the fridge, the old and new barely fit out the door. So I guess I was lucky there.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:27 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWarrren View Post
I just purchased a new Delano. My main power switch will not turn off. Light stays on as well as power to house from house battery. I have a rocker switch one way momentary action so you press and it springs back to original position. I have that same solenoid mechanism as you. When I press the switch the solenoid bumps but does not latch. New unit by seems to be bad. I know at some point it worked. The 2 fuses are good. One is for light and the other is for switch operation. Had a case open with Thor. They are sending another switch but I do not think that is it. Switch works, solenoid will not latch. No shore power connected, engine is off, inverter is off. Getting to that solenoid to change it will be a bear to wrestle. Can’t just lift the lid on bed. Let me know what you find. Hmm pics are upside down.
Are you troubleshooting this latching relay while plugged into SP?
The light you are looking at only indicates the status of the latching relay when NOT plugged into SP.
The light will be on when there is power to the house DC buss so if plugged into SP that light will always be on because your converter supplies the DC buss even if the house batteries are disconnected by the latching relay.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:56 AM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
I was gonna respond to this but ACE took the wind out of my sails!
Old 04-08-2021, 11:12 AM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstreet View Post
Well, looks like my issue was just the low battery. Or at least, when I pulled the batteries out and charged them each for 8 hours, the main power switch works, I have power in the coach, and slides, generator and leveling jacks all are working. Of course, will need to determine why the battery went low in the first place. The pictures are upside down, because, of course, everything is under the bed, where it is hard to get to. So now that is settled, I pulled out the old residential fridge that was completely shot, and put in a new one. Fortunately, with the doors pulled off the fridge, the old and new barely fit out the door. So I guess I was lucky there.
Why was your nearly new Fridge shot?
Old 04-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Just for folks reading this if you have an inverter and it is shut off while you are plugged into shore power the house battery switch will indicate properly.

The pilot will go off when you shut off the isolation solenoid

RV's certainly are wired differently as we all have learned