Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #14666
No power to thermostat

I recently found out the thermostat isn't working. The battery is fine, brand new. There is power going into the fuse box. I've checked all of the fuses and they are fine. I don't know how to check the breakers so I turned them off and on and nothing changed. The battery cutoff is working. The battery lights, stove lights and fan work. The microwave isn't working but I'm not sure it is supposed to on battery. I have a 2002 Four Winds Dutchmen. Any ideas as to what to check next?

Old 03-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
A couple of things to check. Is your switch on the T-stat in either cool or heat mode? Is it a digital or analog T-stat? If switch does not fix the problem, you can remove it off wall and check with a meter to see if you are getting power and also check to make sure it is wired correctly.

Do a search on the forum for wiring diagram as this has been discussed before about changing out old analog to digital which I would recommend if yours is an analog. Digital controls better.
I'm sure some others can offer suggestions also.
Good luck.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #3

THOR #14666
Yes, I have had it set on heat/A/C. Its an analog T-stat. I have checked the wiring and got no reading of power. I'm going to check that again as I might not have checked it correctly (after further research).
Old 03-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The power for your thermostat is supplied through your furnace. Check the reset switch in your furnace to see if it is getting 12 VDC.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #5

THOR #14666
OK, will do.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #6

THOR #14666
I was checking for the switch (which was on) and close to it was a button with the number 10 on it. I pushed it in to see what would happen, it clicked then nothing. I had to put in a new thermostat as I broke the original one and this one, when I change the temps at least makes a ticking noise but still nothing. How do I check the switch to make sure to make sure power is getting to it? Any idea where to go to from here?
Old 03-16-2019, 10:24 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petnut View Post
I was checking for the switch (which was on) and close to it was a button with the number 10 on it. I pushed it in to see what would happen, it clicked then nothing. I had to put in a new thermostat as I broke the original one and this one, when I change the temps at least makes a ticking noise but still nothing. How do I check the switch to make sure to make sure power is getting to it? Any idea where to go to from here?
Here are the color codes they work for my thermostat even though it digital.
red- 12 v pos

blue - 12 v neg
white - heat
yellow - compressor
green - high fan
gray - low fan

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petnut View Post
With a voltmeter? Check to make sure you have 12 VDC to the furnace. If not, it's a problem upstream like the fuse to the furnace.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:14 AM   #9

THOR #14666
I know a voltmeter. What I can't figure out is how to get to the wires, they are heavily coated. The switch is enclosed, nothing there to get the probes on.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #10

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I re read your posts and you never said if the furnace blower started or not......so assuming not, then checking power at the thermostat is the easiest. Open the case of your new wall thermostat and place your voltmeter from R terminal (+12v) to B terminal (Gnd) as Beau388 said. The thermostat terminals should be labelled. If you see the 12volts then the switch is on in the furnace and voltage is present there too, because the furnace provides power to the thermostat typically. It does not mean the furnace does not have a problem though. If no 12volts at the thermostat then you have to go to the furnace wiring and find out why not or check for open fuses or breakers. Some thermostats also have a small in line fuse inside them or in the wall feeding them; make sure that fuse is also good if you can find it.

You should hear a small click at the thermostat if its small internal relay (call for heat) is working (powered by the 12vdc and a call for heat at the thermostat). The hardest part sometimes is figuring out how to remove the thermostat face plate without breaking any plastic parts. I am attaching my thermostat conversion picture to assist you.....look at the left side which is a “typical” analog thermostat wiring strip. Also since you changed your thermostat make sure your wiring is correct.
I am also including a generic schematic showing a basic connection of battery, furnace, air conditioner and thermostat to provide an overall generic view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Updated Analog to Digital Thermostat Conversion.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	16215   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermostat control of air and heat.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	16216  

Old 03-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #11

THOR #14666
OH MY HEAVENS I've got heat!

I checked for power to the thermostat and it was there but rather weak. I changed the red wire to the other red terminal and instantly the A/C came on (which is kind of weird as the thermostat was set on heat) but it was running. I shut off the A/C and set-up the heat to run and it RAN!! Nice heat came out. THANK YOU to all of you who tried to help me figure it out. I love learning new things even if it is frustrating