Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2022, 09:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #25004
No voltage at house batteries

I don’t have any voltage at the house batteries but there is 13 volts at the terminal of the house battery cable at the inverter panel. I disconnected the wire from the panel and checked for continuity and there is none. Is there a manual overload switch between the panel and the batteries that I can’t see? I find it hard to believe there is a break in such a large cable especially since it is protected by a plastic shield throughout the coach. I have a 2016 Thor ACE.
Thanks for any help

Old 02-24-2022, 11:28 PM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Only thing between them is the use/store relay. That relay is usually near the converter panel. It is a latching relay .and it might have failed.

The switch that latches the relay is supplied by coach batteries and if they are dead and the relay was in store mode, it will not change state
Old 02-25-2022, 06:14 PM   #3

THOR #25004
Battery issues

This info about the relay switch is very helpful. I probably did have it in store before I disconnected the battery because it won’t change status now. So I feel good that I am headed in the right direction. Does this use/store switch have terminals that open/close a contact for the cable to the house batteries? If so I can’t find it. Thanks again!!
Old 02-25-2022, 06:22 PM   #4

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan View Post
This info about the relay switch is very helpful. I probably did have it in store before I disconnected the battery because it won’t change status now. So I feel good that I am headed in the right direction. Does this use/store switch have terminals that open/close a contact for the cable to the house batteries? If so I can’t find it. Thanks again!!
It looks just like a Ford starter relay for the 1960s. If you don't have power at the small terminal it won't energize the coil inside letting the power go between the two big terminals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disconnect relay.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	36283  
Old 02-25-2022, 08:22 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
The use/store relay is powered solely by battery voltage. What the converter is doing will not effect the relay's position. The relay is a latching relay meaning that is draws no current unless its position is being changed.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:46 PM   #6

THOR #25004
Battery issues

Hi Bill,
That looks like the diagram I received from Thor but they were not able tell me it’s location and I haven’t been to find it. Thankfully Rick
Old 02-25-2022, 11:35 PM   #7

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
You could try to putting a charge in the coach batteries by starting the engine. If your bird,him,or timed delay works you should see voltage on the coach batteries. If you have voltage then push the use switch. It might be enough to latch the relay.
Old 02-26-2022, 12:02 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Hi Bill,
That looks like the diagram I received from Thor but they were not able tell me it’s location and I haven’t been to find it. Thankfully Rick
In Thor MC plant 750 coaches, the battery isolation relay is usually under the bed in the isle, forward corner, behind the Power Center. Shown at the right with the silver to[p of the relay and 6 awg cable to and from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rapid canp.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	36288  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:13 AM   #9

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Hi Bill,
On an ace 33.1 it's probably under the bed
Old 02-26-2022, 01:19 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hi Bill,
What ACE do you have? It makes a difference as to location. The Latching relay is usually close to the power center and probably looks like this in your 2016 ACE:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote