Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
compartment latch came apart.

Today while I was starting to get our Aria ready to use for the summer, I could not open the compartment for the electric cord. Luckily it was that compartment and I was able to get under the camper back by the engine and get a small vice grips on the back of the screws holding the latch loop. Any other compartment I don't know what I would have done. Anyway after getting the door open and removing the latch mechanism I found that the pivot screw had backed out, to the outside paddle did nothing. These pivot screws are not shoulder screws, and are supposed to be held in place by a lock washer. But, if you tighten them up enough for the lock washer to work, the cam will not pivot. And since the lock washer does not hold the screw, it rotates when the door is opened. So this one backed out. I pulled all of the compartment latches removed the screws and put lock-tight on them. Hopefully this will keep them from rotating in the future. I also do not know which models may use this style latch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190310_150719.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	16151  

Old 03-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Today while I was starting to get our Aria ready to use for the summer, I could not open the compartment for the electric cord. Luckily it was that compartment and I was able to get under the camper back by the engine and get a small vice grips on the back of the screws holding the latch loop. Any other compartment I don't know what I would have done. Anyway after getting the door open and removing the latch mechanism I found that the pivot screw had backed out, to the outside paddle did nothing. These pivot screws are not shoulder screws, and are supposed to be held in place by a lock washer. But, if you tighten them up enough for the lock washer to work, the cam will not pivot. And since the lock washer does not hold the screw, it rotates when the door is opened. So this one backed out. I pulled all of the compartment latches removed the screws and put lock-tight on them. Hopefully this will keep them from rotating in the future. I also do not know which models may use this style latch.
Did the other latches have lockwashers?
I looked at mine and it looks the there are no lockwasher on them but the screws have a shoulder and are just long enough to bottom out in the hole and leaving the cam loose enough to pivot
Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #14380
On my 2017 Miramar I had the same problem. I took some of the latches apart, lubed, reassembled, etc. My conclusion: These are poorly made latches. Notice the "made in China", I imagine Thor wishes they had stayed with US made latches.

I had several of my latches replaced under the initial warranty. It may be there was a bad run or a bad batch of these. Yes, they can be fixed but you gott'a play with them. Ugh.

Jim
Old 03-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
Did the other latches have lockwashers?
I looked at mine and it looks the there are no lockwasher on them but the screws have a shoulder and are just long enough to bottom out in the hole and leaving the cam loose enough to pivot
All had lockwashers, no shoulders, would have been better if they did.