Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2019, 12:03 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Norcold refrigerator

Great little refrigerator but gas flames out when we are on the road probably from wind. I’ve tried isolating the flame box with aluminum foil with no success. Auto light does not work well so I usually light it with a small propane torch. Any suggestions or remedies.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:44 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
It sometimes helps if you post year and model of coach and model of the fridge also.

Does the fridge work fine when parked and on propane? If you have shielded the flame already and it made no difference, then it is probably something else. You say your Auto setting does not light the fridge (when shore is not connected of course) so maybe your control board is failing. What about when you set the control panel to propane? It’s probably also a problem or you would not have to go out with a propane torch to start the fridge. So maybe an ignition board problem as well? Do you hear the three spark attempts at all ......do you time the propane burner ignition with the fridge gas valve operating? Sounds painful and potentially dangerous.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:47 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Norcold fridge

Thank you for responding. N61X in a Sprinter Citation. Fridge works fine on propane or electric when we’re not moving although starting automatically on propane is hit and miss. I can hear the piezo firing three times. After multiple attempts on propane the light will start flashing indicating failure to light. Switching on and off at panel will restart the process. After multiple failures I’ll use the torch. As a matter of fact I now start the fridge on propane with the torch avoiding the auto process after one attempt. I can see the spark in the fire box so I assume the issue is with gas flow although once lit with torch it’ll stay on until we start moving at highway speeds. Is the flame supposed to be lit when the refrigerator reaches temperature or does it turn off and refire depending on fridge temperature? If the latter then my issue may have nothing to do with air flow flame outs but with piezo relighting.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:29 AM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Both gas and electric modes should cycle on and off depending on the thermostat setting and the temperature inside the refrigerator compartment. It sounds like you have a pretty good idea about what is going on and the fact you get the three spark attempts with lockout due to failure to light, gets the ball down the field at least.
So fridge works fine parked, but not under way even with your own wind shield for the flame. Maybe the flame is weak and barely burns under ideal conditions. Have you had to select cooler settings to get the fridge as cold as it used to be when running on propane?

A couple what ifs:
- I wonder if the spark electrode is still in the correct position to ignite the gas? Flame sensor portion must work or using your torch to light the gas, would not remain burning. Although a small flame might not be hot enough for the flame sensor to confirm ignition.....whereas the torch easily does.

- Perhaps low gas pressure? Other gas appliances working OK?
- Debris in the gas oriface restricting flow? Clean the oriface and burner.
- Gas valve failing to open fully?
- Any changes on the roof near the fridge vent (assume its not in a slide). There have been folks with new taller after market fan vent hoods claiming they interfere with wind currents and fridge air flow when under way.
- Fridge roof vent is not obstructed; clear air flow from side wall vents all the way up to roof vent?
Old 10-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
We used to have Winnebago RV that the Norcold fridge would not stay on using propane in the stop and go traffic on I 95. It would work fine once we got out of traffic. So it wasn't a wind thing. We installed an inverter so we didn't have to worry about it.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote