Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2020, 10:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Minnesota
THOR #19733
Mushy spot in floor

We are new and proud owners of a low mileage 2016 Vegas 24.1. Sadly it has a mushy spot in the floor which we knew about, and was reflected in the purchase price. In the photo is the front recliner with the slide not extended. You can feel the mushy spot in the floor between the area rug and the recliner when the slide is extended. The good news is my brother is a great carpenter and travel trailer owner and I'm a pretty good handyman myself. Here's what I don't know: Do we get to the mushy spot from the top by peeling back the linoleum flooring, or get at it by crawling under the rig and working from the bottom?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated................Lenny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 4.46.27 PM.png
Views:	72
Size:	637.8 KB
ID:	25166  

Old 07-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
This may not be what you want to hear, but here's my story. You're going to have to remove the flooring. We had massive water damage (plumbing leaks) in our 2017 Challenger resulting in mushy floor in multiple spots. One spot, behind the drivers seat, was the result (we were told) of a trim piece not being properly sealed. The full wall slide had to be removed, as well as the vinyl floor, damaged particle board, and foam insulation down to the metal frame. It is not an underside repair.

My thread: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...irs-20462.html
Old 07-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #3

THOR #19733
I don't believe my mushy spot is as bad as yours. Without going out to rig I'd say it's about 24" long by 18" wide. So I'll talk to my brother about peeling up the flooring and cutting out the mushy spot, and replacing it with some good treated plywood.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:15 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
I don't believe my mushy spot is as bad as yours. Without going out to rig I'd say it's about 24" long by 18" wide. So I'll talk to my brother about peeling up the flooring and cutting out the mushy spot, and replacing it with some good treated plywood.
As long as it hasn't penetrated any further. It's not the damage to floor but what may lay underneath. Let us know how you make out.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:06 AM   #5

THOR #19733
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
As long as it hasn't penetrated any further. It's not the damage to floor but what may lay underneath. Let us know how you make out.
Ok, what does lay underneath? I assumed we would cut the wood out and see the steel frame and ground underneath.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:23 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Ok, what does lay underneath? I assumed we would cut the wood out and see the steel frame and ground underneath.
There better be insulation under it, at the very least, or someone made a serious build error. Just trying to prepare you for more than expected. Open the floor and go from there.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:38 AM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There's nothing of any consequence under it.
You're good workmen but I say this for those who aren't.

Tile or linoleum Flooring to do the whole rv won't be enough money to worry about. So don't.
Climb under and take a look at the flat floor. Your soft spot appears to be right about at the frame rail.
Drill a little hole all the way through, from the top, at each corner you decide to template for the new piece.
Go under and see where they come out.
Set your saw and do the cut to the depth you determine..

It's really easy. You go in through the top while keeping an eye on the bottom.
I have my corner holes drilled and am about to whack a 19x36 hole in the rear most of the lower basement floor. You'll be able to reach through the rear hatch into the floor through a hatch in the floor.

Also
I've done a floor repair on our prior toy hauler, same way, through the top after carefully checking the bottom. From the toy hauler I know what can't be reached from one side can be reached from the other. (I had a blow out come up through the floor and rip out the entire wheelwell and pull some stuff out of the trailer and throw it on the road.)

A harbor freight multipurpose(vibrating cutter) can be your true friend in all of this.

While you're down there, bolster the hell out of it. If a 1x1 was used but a 2x4 will fit....
And
It might be easiest to make a thin metal plate to cover the new hole from the bottom, screwing it in all around as you can reach and then set your new wood floor piece on top of your new metal plate, then screw your new wood plug to that plate.
You're now armored and it's a lot easier than cutting that plug to an exact exact size. Fill in gaps between old floor and new floor with gorilla glue mixed with the sawdust you made. Scrape the top flat, pick a nice new linoleum and make the rv yours.

Also, while you've got that flooring up, we're going to cut grooves in our floor and insert electric floor heat in the bathroom and between the beds.
(I'm telling you this electric floor stuff because you don't seem to have enough on your plate. I think it's only fair that your projects swell to fifteen projects... Like mine do.)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote