Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2020, 10:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Is it normal to see water in your sink drain?

Is it normal to see the water in your kitchen sink drain?

I never noticed this before but this weekend after washing my hands I noticed lots of bubbles in the sink slowly going down. So I ran the water full blast and it never backed up in to the sink (seems to be flowing well to gray tank) but you can clearly see the water (and soap if any) in the drain around 1/2 inch (perhap 1 inch) down the sink drain. You can stick your finger in the drain and touch it. Very odd.

I might take the P-pipe off and clean it out but im very carefull what I put down the drain (no grease, just crumbs of food or bbq sauce from the plates etc) so perhaps the vent pipe is messed up?

I dump the grey tank (it was about 3/4 full) then checked again (still Looks the same).

Any thoughts?

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
P traps do hold water to prevent smells from backing up.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:49 PM   #3

THOR #12231
Yes I know. But can you see your water in yours like 1/2 inch down the drain?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-13-2020, 11:08 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Check out the height of the "U"--e.g. both high sides of the U. The water level would be at the lowest point of the exit. Thus if the exit drain is pretty high then the P-trap is going to hold a bunch of water.

Using my sink as an example the P-Trap water would be up to the red line I drew because of the height of the exit line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-13 190632.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	24878
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Is your sink in a slide? Maybe a pinched flexible drain line?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Not in a slide.

I will remove the p trap and look at it when I have time. I wonder if the air vent is not working properly? My water level is all the way up to the bottom of the drain. Very odd.

I put the RV in storage so perhaps it has dropped down some just sitting. The funny thing is the water never backed up into the sink.

Im sure I will end up find some jinky Thor install.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Not in a slide.

I will remove the p trap and look at it when I have time. I wonder if the air vent is not working properly? My water level is all the way up to the bottom of the drain. Very odd.

I put the RV in storage so perhaps it has dropped down some just sitting. The funny thing is the water never backed up into the sink.

Im sure I will end up find some jinky Thor install.
How long have you had this coach and are just now seeing a problem. But yes, its a "jinky Thor install" that only took a few years to surface.

Any chance it is working as designed and someone just noticed or maybe all the grease and oil from dirty dishes being washed down the drain has caused an issue? But then you said the water doesn't back up in the sink so maybe the install is correct and it just doesn't meet your expectations of what you think should be right.

What is the industry standard are how far down into a P trap the water should be?

Sorry, two to three years of normal operation with no problems noted with the drain and all of a sudden there is an issue with the Thor install when the drain, in your own words, still works correctly.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah this does seem strange. May want to shove a snake down it before disassembling.

If your air admittance valve isn't working (plugged? Usually they fail they other way) I could see it causing a vacuum if it isn't letting air in.

I recently replaced both of ours (kitchen sink and bathroom sink) and found the ones at Home Depot are screw in replacements (even shorter so they are easier to put in).
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-Su...9230/205395535
Old 07-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Remove the p trap & check it out, possibly a plunger, but don't use a snake. This, as you called it, is "jinky Thor" plumbing going into a plastic tank so a snake is not recommended or could create other problems.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Ok, thanks for the help.

No problem with the sink (that I know of) but I find it odd the water is like 1/2 (maybe 1 inch) below the sink drain. I never noticed it before.

I purchased new back in 2017 and been very careful what goes down the drain. I might punch out the P trap and remove to see what is going on.

I will go to the storage unit and see if the level has dropped at while sitting.

I wont use a snake (if I can help it). I Rather remove the P pipe to see what is going on first.

I would be very careful with the "toy parts" they use in these RV's......Plastic sink, plastic faucet, plastic water lines, plastic drain lines, counter top etc.

I better check..... maybe the Ford Frame is Plastic too!
Old 07-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Ok, thanks for the help.

No problem with the sink (that I know of) but I find it odd the water is like 1/2 (maybe 1 inch) below the sink drain. I never noticed it before.

I purchased new back in 2017 and been very careful what goes down the drain. I might punch out the P trap and remove to see what is going on.

I will go to the storage unit and see if the level has dropped at while sitting.

I wont use a snake (if I can help it). I Rather remove the P pipe to see what is going on first.

I would be very careful with the "toy parts" they use in these RV's......Plastic sink, plastic faucet, plastic water lines, plastic drain lines, counter top etc.

I better check..... maybe the Ford Frame is Plastic too!
When I redid my kitchen I found that all the drain parts are pretty much standard that you can get at any home improvement store (of course the store bought products are white and the ones in the coach is black but that was the only difference). The cheapy sink, however, went straight to the trash.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
When I redid my kitchen I found that all the drain parts are pretty much standard that you can get at any home improvement store (of course the store bought products are white and the ones in the coach is black but that was the only difference). The cheapy sink, however, went straight to the trash.
ABS pipe is black and PVC is white. Believe it or not, the ABS pipe used in the coach is stonger and more shock resistant than the PVC pipe used in a house. The PVC, however, is more flexible than ABS.

But to some, using stronger and less shock resistant pipe in an RV is a display of the poor quality in build and materials.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #13

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
The hair that used to be on your head is in the p trap. Easy fix.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #14

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I believe this is working per the design of the plumbing. I can see water down the drain of my kitchen sink. It drains normally so I am not concerned. I believe the way they have the plumbing routed, there tends to be a little more water in the P-trap.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #15

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I believe this is working per the design of the plumbing. I can see water down the drain of my kitchen sink. It drains normally so I am not concerned. I believe the way they have the plumbing routed, there tends to be a little more water in the P-trap.
Ok, Thanks.

Yours was the response I expected from my fellow "Thor-ites" (or is it "Axis-minions? LOL).

Im not going to worry about it..... but when it cools down some in the fall I think I will remove the P pipe to satisfy my curiosity.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The hair that used to be on your head is in the p trap. Easy fix.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1594756188
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAAAaaaaaggggghhhhhh.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	24893  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #17

THOR #12231
Thanks Bob, I needed a good laugh today.

I dont wash my hair in the kitchen sink but if my shower has problems draining and I look in the mirror and look like Bob I think i can put Two and Two together.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #18

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
P trap

it's just that the p trap is closer to the drain than the normal in a home. Closer so that's why you see it.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:57 AM   #19

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Water in drain.

Had the same problem a few trips ago. It was just a matter of the rig not being level. The water couldn't drain uphill into the gray water tank or it might be that the tank is to full to take any more water

Alajeu