Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2019, 11:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A30
State: Nebraska
THOR #17133
Oil change

We will be on the road in January. Our unit is a, 32 ft freedom traveler. It has less than 2000 miles on it. When and where do you get oil changes when you are on the road. Does the newer units use full synthetic oil, or the blend. The biggest question is how many miles should I go before an oil change, and where. With a car I'm use to speedee lube. Appreciate advice.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:03 PM   #2

Model: A30
State: Nebraska
THOR #17133
We will be on the road in January. Our unit is a, 32 ft freedom traveler. It has less than 2000 miles on it. When and where do you get oil changes when you are on the road. Does the newer units use full synthetic oil, or the blend. The biggest question is how many miles should I go before an oil change, and where. With a car I'm use to speedee lube. Appreciate advice.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Speedee lube and similars are fine to use.
All the bays are wide enough.
Call in advance and ask the height.
If it won't fit in the bay, ask and they'll likely do it in their parking lot.

Other than that refer to your owners manual about oil and changes. Your warranty kinda depends on following the manual.
Too much 1950's 'my dad always' or 'I heard' to do anything other than as the manual says.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:07 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I use Ford dealers with fleet service shops around the country.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:39 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Two thumbs up on the Ford stores. We've traveled more than 65k miles in 4.5 year and change the oil by the numbers every 5k miles. When I make travel plans, I plan the oil changes into the trip. Changed the oil at Ford stores in Portland, KC and upstate NY. On occasion, I've actually used CW as a last resort. When we are in the Louisville area, I have a local shop that does our routine maintenance and more importantly inspects the undercarriage for us. Caught a couple of other issues for us early before they became issues.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #6

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
It isn't hard to change oil. The filter and the drain plug are pretty accessible.

If that is not your cup of tea, use a dealer. I do not suggest using one of the jiffy lube type places. The filters they use are sub-par and the oil quality is questionable.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
When traveling it is just convenient since many campgrounds don't allow working on RVs and then there is the disposal issue of the used oil and filter. I've got 27,000 miles on my 2018 so it's not like a once a year chore either.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #8

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post

If (changing your own oil) is not your cup of tea, use a dealer. I do not suggest using one of the jiffy lube type places. The filters they use are sub-par and the oil quality is questionable.
He uses those type companies with fine faith on his cars. How is the v10 different?

You think the oil is different? An explanation of Castrol in a barrel being different than say, Castrol in a barrel three miles away at a Ford dealer...
Do we have any pics of the subpar filters and any proof of that filter ever causing an engine failure?

I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly and need to learn how the OP and I might be wrong.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:16 AM   #9

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
He uses those type companies with fine faith on his cars. How is the v10 different?

You think the oil is different? An explanation of Castrol in a barrel being different than say, Castrol in a barrel three miles away at a Ford dealer...
Do we have any pics of the subpar filters and any proof of that filter ever causing an engine failure?

I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly and need to learn how the OP and I might be wrong.
I suggesting you don't use any of those places with 'fine faith' for any vehicle.

Going to those type of places is a real crap shoot. You can't be certain the oil is what they say it is, you can't be certain the oil filter is of any quality, you cant be certain they actually changed the oil, you can't be certain they tightened the drain plug properly, you cant be certain they actually added oil after they drained it, you cant be certain of a lot of things when you go to those places. The dealer is better, but not by much. The best thing to do is to find a reputable mechanic or do it yourself.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:34 AM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
I do the RV myself because it is, by far, the easiest vehicle in the world to do - especially with a Fumoto drain valve. But I take my cars to dealers or fast lube places. You can watch them do it at most quick lube places and if you ask they will tell you what oil filter they use and you can even bring them your own and ask them for a labor only rate. Sure there might be rip off places out there, but you gotta trust someone!
Old 11-20-2019, 01:49 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
One word: Walmart.

Call ahead and make sure they have the bay(s).

If in Marana, AZ, you can't lose. Soup to nuts: front end lube, tire pressure check, fluid top offs.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:18 PM   #12

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Someone other than a minimum wage guy will continue to do mine. Find either a dealer or reputable shop. Kwik change places aren’t for me.

Use synthetics and you won’t need to do every 5,000 miles. Showing your age ��
Old 11-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #13

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Someone other than a minimum wage guy will continue to do mine. Find either a dealer or reputable shop. Kwik change places aren’t for me.

Use synthetics and you won’t need to do every 5,000 miles. Showing your age ��
I'm sorry but that's pretty snobbish. At least he/she is working and paying taxes. Better than the rest of them sitting in their broken down mobile homes, collecting welfare and cooking meth.

Never mind. You're from Mass. That explains everything.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:26 PM   #14

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I'm sorry but that's pretty snobbish. At least he/she is working and paying taxes. Better than the rest of them sitting in their broken down mobile homes, collecting welfare and cooking meth.
Not snobbish. Based on experience. I ran a fleet of cars and light trucks and had continuous problems with oil plugs thread issues, low oil, forget to put in oil, and even over fills.

No thank you. To much of a gamble. I’d rather do it myself.

The dealers will also check other things beside windshield washer fluid and try to up sell a radiator flush.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:37 AM   #15

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Not snobbish. Based on experience. I ran a fleet of cars and light trucks and had continuous problems with oil plugs thread issues, low oil, forget to put in oil, and even over fills.

No thank you. To much of a gamble. I’d rather do it myself.

The dealers will also check other things beside windshield washer fluid and try to up sell a radiator flush.
To my point. When I get an oil change and they top fluids, check tire pressure and lube the front end all is right with the world - at that moment.

I don't sit in the waiting room or look out their window. I'm outside, watching them drop the old and install the new. To your point, I will check when they are done and confront if they missed the mark. A little more work on my part but in the end, it's my game to lose, no matter who I engage to do the work.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:37 AM   #16

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Brand new 390 engine in a 57 Ford restored classic. Third oil change and the quick change tech wrecks the oil plug threads and says nothing. 20 feet off the pit I see oil leaking. That jerk was going to let me drive off with that.

If I can't do it it goes to a dealer or high end repair shop.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:44 AM   #17

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Brand new 390 engine in a 57 Ford restored classic. Third oil change and the quick change tech wrecks the oil plug threads and says nothing. 20 feet off the pit I see oil leaking. That jerk was going to let me drive off with that.

👍 I agree. To much at stake for shoddy work. I usually go get breakfast or use a demo and come back later. No patience to hang around.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:44 AM   #18

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post

Neither of you mention 'where' that happened. Or did you discriminate based on ASSumption.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:52 AM   #19

THOR #13932
How 'bout we respect the op and his life choices and quit with the religious conversion?

He uses who he uses, happily.
As do millions upon millions of people.

I know of a guy who won't eat at any pizza place these last 30 years due to a rumor of an employee 8 states away spitting on a pizza.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:01 AM   #20

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Neither of you mention 'where' that happened. Or did you discriminate based on ASSumption.
Quick change places in my experience over many years. Point is your going to spend high dollars for an RV, don’t go cheap. Otherwise not sure what the wise crack is for.