Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Some folks will tell you it’s because you used a Fram filter but I don’t believe the filter is at fault. At least not as in a bad filter. If tightening it a bit doesn’t do the trick you can remove it and see if the gasket is damaged or has a bit of debris either on the gasket or on the housing flange. Of course if you are going to go to all that trouble you might just as well go ahead and replace it. You’re probably about due anyway after 4800 miles.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #22

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonChase View Post
I'm new so forgive the questions. (They will be separate posts so the answers can be kept separate.)
#1 - The Ford engine manual with my Thor Axis 2018 23.5 model says oil should be changed every 7500 miles. The sales person who sold me the vehicle said it should be done every 5000 miles and 4000 would be better. My Service Manager at Camping World said it needs to be done every 3000 miles. I'm 4 days into a 3 month trip around the US and if I need to do it every 3000 miles, I'll need to schedule an oil change every 10 -12 days or so, or learn to do it myself. What mileage rules should I be following?

Thanks /// Alison
Go with what your Ford manual states - 7500 miles. It is much better to change it more often - for the shops doing the work. Mine gets changed once a year but I'm not touring the country on extended trips. I read somewhere that the Ford V-10 is one of the most over serviced engines. Probably due to people not knowing better and wanting to pamper their baby.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:03 AM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I ordered a Femco Quick Oil Drain Plug for my E450.

Remove the original drain plug and install the Femco Drain Plug. Then unscrew the dust cap, hook up the drain tube and let it drain into a container. No mess and as easy as it gets. I’ll be able to change oil in 15 minutes.

I’m going to run Full Synthetic and a Synthetic Fram oil filter. I’ll change my oil every 5000 - 7000 miles. I’ll be able to do it on a long trip if push came to shove.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Found my problem with the oil filter leak. When I took the old filter off it was too loose. I replaced it and changed the oil while I was under the MH. Operator error once again. I know I'm getting weaker as I age but what the heck an oil filter eek!
Old 05-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #25

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
Found my problem with the oil filter leak. When I took the old filter off it was too loose. I replaced it and changed the oil while I was under the MH. Operator error once again. I know I'm getting weaker as I age but what the heck an oil filter eek!

Lucky it didn’t back out and dump all the oil somewhere along the road! I had an old Triumph one time with an aftermarket adapter for a spin on filter (I REALLY dislike cartridge filters!). It worked but the filters worked loose. I took to safety wiring them on so they couldn’t budge.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:44 PM   #26

Model: 28Z
State: Rhode Island
THOR #15056
You might want to check....sometimes the old gasket sticks to the filter housing. When you spin on a new filter, you now have 2 gaskets and ineffective poor sealing which causes leaks. Been there and done that. Remove the filter and check or take a close look at the old filter (if you still have it) to see if the gasket is still attached.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:59 AM   #27

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osborn View Post
You might want to check....sometimes the old gasket sticks to the filter housing. When you spin on a new filter, you now have 2 gaskets and ineffective poor sealing which causes leaks. Been there and done that. Remove the filter and check or take a close look at the old filter (if you still have it) to see if the gasket is still attached.

I had the same thought, maybe you left the old gasket on along with the new one. Easy to do.
I just ordered a Fumoto valve for my next oil change. No more wrenching and dropping the hot oil plug!
To Alison, give a DIY oil change a try. You can do it on your travels if necessary, you'll save a bunch of $$ and gain some pride in accomplishment!
Old 05-11-2019, 03:16 AM   #28

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

I had the same thought, maybe you left the old gasket on along with the new one. Easy to do.

I just ordered a Fumoto valve for my next oil change. No more wrenching and dropping the hot oil plug!

To Alison, give a DIY oil change a try. You can do it on your travels if necessary, you'll save a bunch of $$ and gain some pride in accomplishment!

Not to mention that it is literally the easiest vehicle on the planet for an oil change. Excellent ground clearance and an oil filter right beside the oil pan make it easy. Only issues are to be sure you have a big enough catch pan for 7 quarts and know that you need to use a fumoto valve with a plastic hose or a funnel. Otherwise the draining oil can hit the crossmember and make rather a mess. Simple but helps to know about it.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #29

State: New Mexico
THOR #13420
Here is a link to Fumoto regarding F53 V-10 Oil Drain Valve they were super helpful when I inquired, hope this helps others interested?

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...modelId=582035
Old 03-08-2022, 02:52 AM   #30

State: Alabama
THOR #14401
Hi CountryBoy, quick question I want to change my oil and filter in our 2018 Thor Vegas 25.3, is the engine the same? Where is the oil filter located? And can the hood be totally removed? Thank you so much.

Dee
Old 03-08-2022, 03:30 AM   #31
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by topd65 View Post
Hi CountryBoy, quick question I want to change my oil and filter in our 2018 Thor Vegas 25.3, is the engine the same? Where is the oil filter located? And can the hood be totally removed? Thank you so much.

Dee
Countryboy hasn't been on the forum in over 2 years. Didn't you just start another Oil Change thread?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:10 PM   #32

THOR #10788
Dear forum, sorry about the lapse of time. If you take your coach to a professional you don’t need any modifications. If you don’t mind standing on a ladder and feeding the oil filler hose that’s attached to a funnel through other hoses, you don’t need any modifications. If you don’t want to remove the doghouse, you don’t need this modification. I took my doghouse off to spray the inside of it with expanding spray foam to insulate and dampen engine noise, which worked wonderfully. (I had a post on that with pics.) completing that project is when I decided to do this modification, because the doghouse hassle was less than the ladder and hose hassle, in my opinion. There are so many helpful and more knowledgeable people on this forum than me. I just presented what I thought was a good idea and worked for me
Old 03-08-2022, 05:27 PM   #33

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Just dont spill that oil inside the rig...or you will be in really big trouble and may have to hide for a while! :-)
Old 03-08-2022, 05:34 PM   #34

THOR #10788
That is so true, but it is a very easy process from inside.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:23 PM   #35

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Does anyone know if CountryBoy's scheme will work on the new Ford V8?

David
Old 03-09-2022, 02:55 AM   #36

State: Alabama
THOR #14401
Thanks COUNTRYBOY🤗
Old 03-09-2022, 03:28 AM   #37

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Maybe it isn't so difficult
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oil Tranfusion.pdf (1.12 MB, 42 views)
Old 03-14-2022, 07:56 PM   #38

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #25694
oil change

try the same oil change on a 2022 7.3 not quite so ez
Old 03-15-2022, 12:02 AM   #39

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
uldn't it be easier to fill the oil by going down through the cutout under the dash desk (where you gain access to change chassis battery). Taking that doghouse off and putting it back on is not for the timid.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote