Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2022, 03:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #25961
Oil Change

Good Morning Everyone!

Anyone know where I can find instructions on how to change the oil in my 2021 Thor Miramar? I have a cross country trip coming up next week the all the RV service stations are booked out until April.

Anyone tried using a truck stop to have their Class A oil changed or do they even do that?

Old 02-12-2022, 04:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If you know how to change the oil in a car then you know how to change it in your MH - no instructions written or needed. The only knowledge you need is what type of oil and how much - both available in your owners manual.

If you don't know how to change the oil in a car now is not the time to learn. Some truck centers will do oil changes on MHs. Try Google and a phone.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:51 AM   #3

THOR #25961
I certainly know how to change the oil in a car. Just so novice with a class A RV (or any type for that matter) that I didn’t know if there was anything special about it. Shoot I don’t even know where the oil filter and drain plus is at. Took me forever just to fine then chasis battery.. that was after I realized it was separate from the house batteries.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:43 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
I just changed the oil in our 28A on a Chevy chassis. Piece of cake. Also did the genny. I don't change the oil in my cars because it's just too hard to get into some of those places. Let someone else do it!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:53 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Exclamation

I asked my local Tires Plus store about oil changes, and they told me they could do it on their parking lot since it wouldn't fit in the service bays.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:56 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
The 2021 Thor Miramar is built on the Ford 53 chassis with the 7.3 liter V8. The oil filter is obvious from looking underneath the engine. The drain plug is centerline aft. The real problem is access to the fill point. On my 2021 Axis with the same engine it takes either a funnel with a long hose to reach down to the fill point from above or an electric pump to get the oil in.

Look in your Ford owner's manual for a drawing of where the fill port is on your engine.

Otherwise, it is the same as a car.

David
Old 02-12-2022, 11:10 PM   #7

THOR #25961
I found that the owners manual doesn't tell me anything about what type of oil and filter to use. Is 7 Qrts of oil the typical for a Class A? The oil cap has 5w-20 written on it so that was an easy one. I crawled under and saw the oil filter and drain plug. The drain plug is literally over the axis so I have to make sure it's poured into a tube to direct it away from the axis and into an oil pan.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:43 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 27B
State: Maryland
THOR #20189
I used to love working on my cars in the 70's and 80's. And while everything is visible in my class A, and I know how to do it, the locations of drain plug and filling point are a pain in the butt. I have seen several interesting homemade funnels and other gadgets on YouTube; but this is one project I will gladly pay someone to do! All I can imagine is spilling oil all over my driveway and engine.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:59 AM   #9

THOR #25961
So I figured it out and proud of myself I am! Lessons learned:
1- Ford Manual says 5w-30 (which I bought), but oil cap says 5w-20.
2 - Manual says 8 quarts total.
3- Ford manual is a different maual than the owners manual.
4 - Oil spout is super high preventing any cool spout or gadget from helping you pour it in. I fact, it only helped me spill more oil on myself trying to get it in the spout. Auto shop kid talked me into buying a 5 quart container plus 3 single quarts for a total of 8. The single quarts were easy to pour, but forget the 5 qt container. There wasn't enough room to tilt it high enough and after wasting enough on my driveway and myself I just used one of the "cool gadget" spouts to pour it from the 5 qt container into a single just so I can get it into the darn spout. Why would they put it that high?!!!
5 - I had to go back and buy a filter wrench because there was no way I could get the filter off without it.
6 - The mechanic soap may have been the most valuable thing I bought.

Result: Oil changed! Ready for my trip from Oregon to Virginia.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:09 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Yup, changing the oil in a Class A can be a messy undertaking. Glad you got it figured out.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:37 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveclem2004 View Post
I found that the owners manual doesn't tell me anything about what type of oil and filter to use. Is 7 Qrts of oil the typical for a Class A? The oil cap has 5w-20 written on it so that was an easy one. I crawled under and saw the oil filter and drain plug. The drain plug is literally over the axis so I have to make sure it's poured into a tube to direct it away from the axis and into an oil pan.
Replace it with a fumoto valve with nipple for a tube and that mess is avoided in the future.

Old 02-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #12

Model: Wind sport 29M
THOR #24352
oil change

I found the perfect solution for the oil change in my wind sport before our trip to the Thor rally in April. Then setting off to Galveston .....Tires Plus or Camping world. Done
Old 02-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Put your tub under it. Pull the drain plug. If some hits the axle it won’t hurt. Just wipe it off with a rag. If it says 5w20 then buy 7 qts of 5w20 oil. Any parts place can look up a Ford V10 oil filter. Your real challenge will be the placement of the oil filler tube. If it’s like mine, cover your head as you’ll lose some skin and hair trying to get a 1 qt oil bottle in there. Get a grease gun and lube tie rods and ball joints (ok Ace, spindles). If this is too much, go to the truck shop.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:03 PM   #14

THOR #17765
Quote:
So I figured it out and proud of myself I am! Lessons learned:
1- Ford Manual says 5w-30 (which I bought), but oil cap says 5w-20.
2 - Manual says 8 quarts total.
3- Ford manual is a different maual than the owners manual.
4 - Oil spout is super high preventing any cool spout or gadget from helping you pour it in. I fact, it only helped me spill more oil on myself trying to get it in the spout. Auto shop kid talked me into buying a 5 quart container plus 3 single quarts for a total of 8. The single quarts were easy to pour, but forget the 5 qt container. There wasn't enough room to tilt it high enough and after wasting enough on my driveway and myself I just used one of the "cool gadget" spouts to pour it from the 5 qt container into a single just so I can get it into the darn spout. Why would they put it that high?!!!
5 - I had to go back and buy a filter wrench because there was no way I could get the filter off without it.
6 - The mechanic soap may have been the most valuable thing I bought.

Result: Oil changed! Ready for my trip from Oregon to Virginia.
Good job! Start ir up and make sure she doesn’t leak.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:44 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Yup, changing the oil in a Class A can be a messy undertaking. Glad you got it figured out.

Best advice…..buy a couple of clearance plastic tablecloths to spread under and then just roll up the whole thing and pitch. Usually can find holiday themed ones after a holiday for a buck or so. Try the dollar store. Or buy a package of large size dog training pads. 10 for $8 and super absorbent.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:47 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Replace it with a fumoto valve with nipple for a tube and that mess is avoided in the future.

The regular F series Fumotos won’t work because the drain is recessed into the pan, and there isn’t clearance to thread the valve in.

For my 7.3L, I ordered the Femco Standard 90° Drain Set SB 6910020-1 M12X1.75-T14
Old 02-14-2022, 02:52 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
So I figured it out...
If you go to an autoparts store they have this cap with a connection to a hose.
I use this to fill the MH engine with oil.
Connect this to the 5qt bottle and put the bottle on a ladder higher than the engine and the oil will flow... No spills and no work out keeping the oil above your head...
This cap also have a shut off mechanism that you can "close" and stop the flow...
Works on 5qt and 1qt bottles....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220214_094515.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	36131  
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:49 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
The regular F series Fumotos won’t work because the drain is recessed into the pan, and there isn’t clearance to thread the valve in.

For my 7.3L, I ordered the Femco Standard 90° Drain Set SB 6910020-1 M12X1.75-T14
That's a great solution for the 7.3 l.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:13 PM   #19

THOR #17765
Let ur drain. Hit the axle. Wipe it off. All set!
Old 02-16-2022, 07:26 PM   #20

State: Louisiana
THOR #11627
Buy you a cheap garden pump sprayer and it’s a snap to pump the oil in