Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: California
THOR #22574
Oil change access on Palazzo 33.2

I changed the oil in my 300hp diesel engine a while back. It was incredibly difficult to add the oil with the large 1 gallon bottles. I used a long necked funnel but had to stand on a ladder to get above the access point. The oil drained slow and it was a major pain in the rear. Putting the oil fill access near the top of the rear access panel makes the job painful. Any tips? Is there an oil pump fitting you can buy for these larger bottles. Similar to the 1 qt pumps you can get to add gear oil? Much appreciated. I'm getting ready to change oil again and dreading the process.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I've endured the same aggravation, but it's the nature of these rear diesel models that don't have the side radiator and the convenience of the more accessible input locations.

While I've used the 'self' method, and then had to deal with 'what to do with all this oil', I've decided that letting the likes of SPEEDCO drivethru service do it is a much easier and less worrisome time. Yes, it's money, and I'm one to want to keep it in my pocket, but, then again, I see the value in letting the professionals with all of their tools handle it easily, even for the generator.

One problem I have, and still continues, is not being able to remove the main FUEL FILTER. It is plastic. You are instructed NOT to use a 'belt' type of filter remover, but the bottom 'tool removal' section still does not allow us to remove it. Even the professionals couldn't remove it, and were afraid they would break it and have diesel everywhere. So, it still works and still is the same filter that's been there for over 70,000 miles.

I also changed my own transmission fluid, which was actually the easiest of all, even easier than the generator.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: California
THOR #22574
Thanks for the quick reply. At least i have confirmation i'm not an idiot... at least when it comes to the simple task of adding oil.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I use a jug adapter with spout and they are available almost everywhere, even Walmart

The spout is for adding oil or antifreeze and I have two in plastic bags labeled per use

The spout will fit antifreeze, oil, and hydraulic fluid

Usually have to add a couple quarts near 8 thousand miles mark or so and hence I carry them along

To change oil I use a small oil pump Northern or Harbor Freight carry

Since I have a shop it is relatively easy however I wouldn't want to out in the open