Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2022, 10:52 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Anyone notice their oil dipstick "mismarked", which is a common issue with the V-10 engines? When I drained mine the other day I let it drain for at least 45 minutes so I knew it was bone dry. I also installed a Fumoto valve... it'll be MUCH easier next time! I started out with the rig perfectly level...

Anyway... I was VERY careful to get every drop of those seven quarts of fresh oil into the fill port. I then started the engine, let it run 5 minutes, then shut it off.

After one hour, I checked the oil several times to verify it was full. It was dead nuts on the full mark. But I've heard others were off... they scribed a new "full" mark on the dipstick.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:09 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Anyone notice their oil dipstick "mismarked", which is a common issue with the V-10 engines? When I drained mine the other day I let it drain for at least 45 minutes so I knew it was bone dry. I also installed a Fumoto valve... it'll be MUCH easier next time! I started out with the rig perfectly level...

Anyway... I was VERY careful to get every drop of those seven quarts of fresh oil into the fill port. I then started the engine, let it run 5 minutes, the shut it off.

After one hour, I checked the oil several times to verify it was full. It was dead nuts on the full mark. But I've heard others were off... they scribed a new "full" mark on the dipstick.
Did you have any tires off the ground to achieve the perfect level?

The Fumoto valve is a snap, but oil must be warm or it takes longer to drain.

My oil dipstick is dead on, or I am just dead off on all of my oil changes. If I lose a engine because the dipstick reading is off so be it. My manual says 7 quarts and I only buy or have 7 quarts to pour in; so it is not like I can overfill, maybe I can miscount a quart, but not hardly.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:56 PM   #43

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
my entire life - I always change my own, including lube. in college I worked in a auto shop to fund my education, seen stuff that still scares me. in my experience, if you ever let anyone service your vehicle, keep a close watch. this has been my experience through out my life. there are more poor service places than good quality service stations.
it is easy to do it yourself, and fun, and the job is done correctly!

I have seen the pan nut stripped out, wrong oil put in, charged for work not done, forgot to put oil in and ruin an engine, mechanic spit on engine before closing the hood, mechanic left lunch in engine compartment, lost tools, ... it can be very bad out there.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:01 AM   #44

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Quote:

Anyway... I was VERY careful to get every drop of those seven quarts of fresh oil into the fill port. I then started the engine, let it run 5 minutes, then shut it off.

On the new Ford Bronco with 2.7 engine the oil level has been a real fiasco. Originally the 21 and 22 owners manual and all on line info from Ford said 7 quarts was correct but that was VERY high on the dipstick. Way above the top hole and into the twist. Ford released a new dip stick a few months ago. But the story continues. Just days ago, Ford sent dealers updated info that 6 quarts is correct and that the original dipstick is correct. A couple days later Ford correct all on line info.

But, Ford says 7 quarts won't hurt the engine but 6 quarts is correct.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:58 AM   #45

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
On the new Ford Bronco with 2.7 engine the oil level has been a real fiasco. Originally the 21 and 22 owners manual and all on line info from Ford said 7 quarts was correct but that was VERY high on the dipstick. Way above the top hole and into the twist. Ford released a new dip stick a few months ago. But the story continues. Just days ago, Ford sent dealers updated info that 6 quarts is correct and that the original dipstick is correct. A couple days later Ford correct all on line info.

But, Ford says 7 quarts won't hurt the engine but 6 quarts is correct.
So... this if for the Bronco, not V-10?? 6 or 7 quarts seems like a LOT of oil for a 2.7 liter engine, at least to me anyway!
Old 08-15-2022, 01:02 PM   #46

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
So... this if for the Bronco, not V-10?? 6 or 7 quarts seems like a LOT of oil for a 2.7 liter engine, at least to me anyway!
My Escape Toad 2.0 Ecoboost takes 6 quarts
Old 08-15-2022, 01:31 PM   #47

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
I change the oil in the Promaster 3500 and the Onan generator myself. I feel confident it is done correctly and with known good quality components. There is not a warranty concern doing this as long as you document and keep receipts. Also avoid the "insane" charges for something that takes less than an hour.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:13 PM   #48

THOR #16721
A local shop has been doing oil/filter changes ($65 full synthetic for each) in my Wrangler and F-150. Can't beat the price, but he did slightly overfill the Wrangler last time.

Seriously considering putting Fumotos on both and doing those myself too. A Fomoto is nice if it's overfilled... just open the valve and drain some out.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #49

THOR #24565
Fumoto makes their fine valve for metal pans but they say it is no go on the plastic oil pans. The Bronco we have with the plastic oil pan and yellow oil drain plug has been updated to a Ronin drain plug. I "think" the 7.3 V8 has some engines with a plastic oil pan and others with metal.

I believe I'd prefer the Fumoto.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:59 PM   #50

THOR #16721
Uh oh... I better check my F-150. It has the yellow plug.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:45 PM   #51

THOR #24565
From Fumoto:
Cars/Pickups Ford 2021 F-150 2.7L V6 Turbo In some cases, this model has a plastic drain plug. We don't currently have a solution for the plastic plugs. If this is not your case, please choose a valve listed below. In additon Your oil drain port may have a recession that requires an adapter. Learn more >>.

3.5 turbo says the same.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:47 AM   #52

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Curious who changes their own engine oil, as opposed to taking it to a service center?

And... same question for generator oil changes.

I change oil in both myself.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:02 AM   #53

THOR #16721
Looks like I'm out of luck for a Fumoto on my truck. Sucks that it's supposed to be replaced every year with a new PLASTIC one! Stupid and wasteful engineering by Ford IMO...
Would REALLY stink if Ford started this "malarkey" on motorhomes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220815-205231.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	39134  
Old 08-16-2022, 01:51 AM   #54

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Fumoto makes their fine valve for metal pans but they say it is no go on the plastic oil pans. The Bronco we have with the plastic oil pan and yellow oil drain plug has been updated to a Ronin drain plug. I "think" the 7.3 V8 has some engines with a plastic oil pan and others with metal.

I believe I'd prefer the Fumoto.
My 7.3 shows 2 thread sizes when I look at a F250 and a 450, they don't show an F53 chassis. 12mm or 14mm
Old 08-16-2022, 02:04 AM   #55

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
My 7.3 shows 2 thread sizes when I look at a F250 and a 450, they don't show an F53 chassis. 12mm or 14mm

So it must be difficult getting light down near the basement window

I have 2019 F-53
I have the F106N M14 - 1.5 Fumoto Drain Valve. It has extended lip for hose and lever clip.

FWIW, I have the exact same one on my Land of Lincoln (Illinois) Navigator
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:38 AM   #56

Model: XG-32
THOR #19089
oil change

I change my own oil on the XG-32. My cars I have a small garage that changes the oil for $20.00 if I furnish the oil and filter. Never makes me wait and disposes of the old oil and filter.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:55 AM   #57

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by XG32owner View Post
I change my own oil on the XG-32. My cars I have a small garage that changes the oil for $20.00 if I furnish the oil and filter. Never makes me wait and disposes of the old oil and filter.
$20 labor and they take care of the mess! That is a deal
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:32 AM   #58

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Looks like I'm out of luck for a Fumoto on my truck. Sucks that it's supposed to be replaced every year with a new PLASTIC one! Stupid and wasteful engineering by Ford IMO...
Would REALLY stink if Ford started this "malarkey" on motorhomes!
I’ve got 2020 F150 with the 3.5. 10 speed. It’s a POS!
Old 08-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #59

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I’ve got 2020 F150 with the 3.5. 10 speed. It’s a POS!
Since they have an incredible resell value why are you still the owner?
Old 08-16-2022, 11:37 AM   #60

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by XG32owner View Post
You have a guy held captive in a pit in your small garage that changes your oil for 20 dollars, why pay him at all. LOL