Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2022, 08:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #18965
Parasitic Draw

I need some assistance finding the source of a parasitic draw on the chassis battery on my 2018 Windsport.
When I take off the negative cable from the chassis battery and connect one lead of my multi meter to the battery post and other lead to the negative cable, I get a reading of 12.62.

I tripped every CB outside. The one in the motor compartment and the three in the house battery compartment.

Next I disconnected both cables from both of the house batteries

Next I disconnected both wires from the “Emergency Switch” solenoid

Next I checked every light and anything that could be on but I cannot find anything that could be drawing juice.

Next I slowly connected the negative cable back on the battery and I can definitely see and hear an electric arc.

At this point, I have NO idea what could be drawing power. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can look at next?

Old 10-09-2022, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
I need some assistance finding the source of a parasitic draw on the chassis battery on my 2018 Windsport.
When I take off the negative cable from the chassis battery and connect one lead of my multi meter to the battery post and other lead to the negative cable, I get a reading of 12.62.

I tripped every CB outside. The one in the motor compartment and the three in the house battery compartment.

Next I checked every light and anything that could be on but I cannot find anything that could be drawing juice.

Next I slowly connected the negative cable back on the battery and I can definitely see and hear an electric arc.

At this point, I have NO idea what could be drawing power. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can look at next?
That is normal. Switch your multimeter to read current to see how much current draw you have.

At the minimum there is a memory "keep alive" draw for your dash radio.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:41 PM   #3

THOR #18965
Thanks for the quick reply!

Current is 2.65.

Something must be drawing power since I am on my third battery. The first battery was from 2018 so I didn't think too much when it was dead in August. I replaced that with a brand new battery and I found that new battery stone dead two weeks ago. Luckily I was able to get it covered under the warranty.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:52 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:

Both of your radios draw current to keep the memory, as Ted so elegantly stated. Also, the engine and transmission computers have a volatile learning memory which is erased when the chassis battery is disconnected for more than 15 minutes.
That is why any good mechanic will connect a supplemental sacrificial battery The same with any car, especially one with a CAM bus. You will find a significant current draw for the door lock computer, engine/trans computer and the anti-theft computer.
Then there is the self-discharge rate of any lead acid battery. Depending on the metal the lead is alloyed with the discharge self discharge rate is 3.5% for LRLA to 8% per month for most flooded batteries.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:02 PM   #5

THOR #18965
I just checked to be certain and my dash radio works off of the house battery. I have the negative cable off my chassis battery and when I put the house batteries on Use, the radio goes on. When I put the house batteries on Store, the radio goes off.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:14 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I just checked to be certain and my dash radio works off of the house battery. I have the negative cable off my chassis battery and when I put the house batteries on Use, the radio goes on. When I put the house batteries on Store, the radio goes off.
There are two power supplies to any newer radio - the main power and the memory power. The main power comes from the house batteries; the memory power comes from the chassis battery.

Also; 2.65 what? Amps? Milliamps? 2.65 amps is a pretty good parasitic draw; 2.65 ma is negligible.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:28 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
If you have an option to plug it in to a minimal 115V extension cord...do that. If not, disconnect all the batteries while in deep storage. Nothing will stop the discharge other than one of these two options.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:39 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
If I assume you are the original owner and no modifications, you simply need a schematic or electrical drawing for your coach. It should show every thing downstream from chassis battery

2.65 amps would be the equivalent of me leaving my T Mobile Home Internet box on the house batteries

Why is the 2.65 amp draw running the battery? How long can you go for complete discharge? i.e does it discharge every 2 days.

I can't think of anything with that kind of load on chassis short of starting the engine.

Other items would be driving and fog lights, compartment bay lights. Is inverter on Chassis. Isolating everything on 12vdc fuse buss may help in troubleshooting. Extreme... but you may haver to start pulling the automotive fuses 1 by 1 until you see drop in current.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:42 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Do you have the residential fridge? If so, have you turned it off and also turned off the inverter. Normally, the fridge will discharge the batteries in 2 days or less if not connected to SP in some fashion.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:47 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Do you have the residential fridge? If so, have you turned it off and also turned off the inverter. Normally, the fridge will discharge the batteries in 2 days or less if not connected to SP in some fashion.
Last I checked the inverter/residential fridge did not run off the chassis battery.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:17 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
True but your radios still remember the stations when you turn the Use/Store switch off. So some other battery is keeping the memory alive. If you don't believe me just disconnect your chassis battery (trip the 100 amp 12 volt CB on the right engine frame rail) for about one hour then go back to the and turn the radio on with the use /switch in use. Note all your saved stations have disappeared in both radios. Everything in the front cap installed by Thor MC is powered by the chassis battery. The distribution panel (fuses and relays) is down by your left foot. It runs the fans, step mirrors, dash heat/A/C, jack controls etc. Electrical power for the Ford stuff goes through the Ford Power Center under the hood
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:33 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Hard wired propane detector.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:24 AM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Hard wired propane detector.
My propane detector is wired to my House batteries and I can go 3 weeks in USE Mode with everything else on House OFF except for TV Cable Antenna power and never know the propane detector was on.

My point is that I do not believe propane detector can draw 2 plus amp?

Now I have a question?
Since Thor must wire some detectors direct to chassis battery, why can't a Thor supplied wiring diagram be produce to tell exactly what could be drawing off the Chassis battery? Other wise OP can just pull the Ford Chassis fuse one by one until the draw stops.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-10-2022, 03:16 AM   #14

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
My point is that I do not believe propane detector can draw 2 plus amp?
The OP has not returned to disclose the actual value of the amperage... be it 2kA; 2A; 2mA or even 2µA

Now I have question? - Is that a question? Then you stated two questions in yer post.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:12 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
The OP has not returned to disclose the actual value of the amperage... be it 2kA; 2A; 2mA or even 2µA

Now I have question? - Is that a question? No, it is not a question. The ? mark symbol was used for any reader that may not know what the word question meant. I try to simplify Then you stated two questions in yer post. Only one question
I don't believe I stated two questions. My declarative statement "My point is that I do not believe propane detector can draw 2 plus amp?" was to state my view to the Lieutenant that I had doubt that a propane detector would / could draw 2 plus amp regardless of power source. The question mark was intended as polite gesture as to not make an absolute statement, thus leaving it open for the potential of a countering view that may have a dissenting opinion

Now I do have a question?
Can I finish my beer?
Old 10-10-2022, 02:50 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
As a point of reference, my LP/CO detector draws ~ 0.131 amps.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 01:21 AM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
As a point of reference, my LP/CO detector draws ~ 0.131 amps.

I tried to find the biggest drawing LP detector and for about $400 you can get this.....

https://www.westmarine.com/trident-m...waAiv5EALw_wcB

Draws 163mA when OFF, 953mA in ON/Standby mode and 255mA in alarm mode.

953mA ain't taking out nobody battery unless it is 15 year old FLA with no water

My LP / CO detector runs off HOUSE and draws 48 mA. I have House Disconnect switch and I don't shut it down for that. My House Cutoff switch is only used by me as a lazy way to ensure EVERYTHING at 100% is shut off the House, my Chassis Cutoff does he same thing except I have draw of my Cateye Alarm on my House battery 24/7 direct to chassis which it should be always activated.

As stated earlier we need OP to come back with more info to close this out.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:12 PM   #18

THOR #18965
It is 2 amps being drawn. I am the second owner and I found an odd wire connected to the positive cable wire that we are going to trace. It doesn't look OEM. I was temped to simply cut it and see if the draw ends but I want to try to trace it to see where it goes.

Something killed a brand new battery in less than 3 weeks.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:56 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
In 3 weeks? If I leave mine unplugged from shore power, the switch in store, my chassis battery will be dead in less than 3 weeks.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:15 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
In 3 weeks? If I leave mine unplugged from shore power, the switch in store, my chassis battery will be dead in less than 3 weeks.

To be honest, I never thought about Chassis battery? But it does have some draws. I said 3 weeks but maybe I should have said at least 3 weeks? That is the longest I can recall when I did not use or at least start and run everything.

I do have a aftermarket disconnect switch installed by Dealer for my Chassis. I never use it, but if I was forced to put in real storage going a month or longer I would turn it off. I have no data points on that though. Our RV is at home, I will as a matter of routine disconnect shorepower 2 weeks or so at a time just to work the batteries.

If my chassis do go, I got the Emergency Switch on house batteries. My chassis battery is 4 years old so I need to start thing about new Chassis battery. Any ideas, I prefer not to buy another OEM NAPA FLA.