Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Winnebago Travato 59G
State: Alabama
THOR #6826
X2 No zip ties needed. It wonít open accidentally.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #14187
1/4 turn bung plug

I can't get the link to open, can someone provide details for this item; p/n, thread size??

I just paid $150 for first and last oil change!!
Old 03-25-2020, 08:11 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
No zipties needed. The valve will not open on its own. They're a great addition to any engine

Jerry
agreed- valves are awesome- i have them on my 2 autos and 1 RV. Get the right size hose to slip over the vale to drain into a container. I use an oil pan under the oil filter when changing it. I am also using a high milage oil filters (20k miles) so i dont have to change the filter that often.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #24

State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Yep I installed the fumoto valve on its first oil change. I attach a 3/8 clear hose to its nipple, the hose goes into a 5 gallon plastic gas can I bought just for oil. The can fits under the engine

Only possible mess is the filter. I get a 2 litter plastic coke bottle and cut the top off. Once loose the bottle fits around the filter it catches the filter and oil.

Jerry
If you loosen up the filter a little and take a punch and hammer to pierce the bottom of the filter and let the filter drain into a pan there is no mess or spilled oil, That's how I do mine but on the cummins engine the filter doesn't lay sideways so it works well.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #25

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I am getting ready for my 1st Oil Change

It only has 8,000 miles but it is almost 1 year since I purchased, so I am changing on theory of at least once a year.

I bought a Fumoto valve (F106N M14 - 1.5), but at first glance (2019 - F53) it seems like there is no way possible to NOT make a big mess because even with drain pan flat under the front axle, the oil when dispensing will hit the top of the axle and splatter oil everywhere!!! Any tricks or should I just plan on being Messy Marvin the 1st before I can put the Fumoto Valve on?

On concern with Oil Filter spilling... is the concern with the oil still draining from oil crankcase or oil overflowing from filter itself? I have Motorcraft FL-820S filter to replace it with. I need to rig up some plastic jug to catch.

I plan to do this at home and I like to play a game with trying to not drop any oil but this feat seems impossible?
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet w/WiFi6; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #26

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
Fumoto F106N has short pipe nipple that you can stick a short length of clear vinyl hose on. I use a 4 inch piece to direct the oil straight into an empty oil jug so I don't have to use a drain at all. That might get you around the axle to avoid the mess.

Edit: Misread your post, yeah you're kinda stuck the first time until the valve is installed. You can try to get a funnel under it to direct the oil but it'll still probably be messy. At least next time will be easier with a tube stuck on there!

A 2 liter or 20oz soda bottle with the bottom cut off makes a usable funnel in a pinch and you can customize the length based on where you cut it.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #27

THOR #13058
Update: My existing oil filter wrench tool fits perfecting on the existing Ford Motor Co Oil Filter 3W7E -6714-BA; but it does not fit the replacement Motorcraft FL-820S? I usually do not tighten so hard where a oil filter wrench tool is needed to remove; but I sure would like to know I have wrench tool that will fit to remove before putting a new one on.
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet w/WiFi6; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #28

THOR #6826
Fumoto also sells a plastic tube that clips on to the valve. It is a bit more secure than just a plain tube. Iíve cut mine to about 8 inches and donít spill a drop. It wonít help until you get the valve on but itís a snap thereafter. I still havenít found a way to avoid making a mess with the filter. I currently use a big styrofoam cup from the gas station big gulp store to try to catch the mess and keep my fingers cool but itís still a messy deal. I bought several cheap disposable plastic picnic table cloths and use one underneath to catch the mess. I think I paid $2 for Halloween themed ones after last Halloween at a party store. Before that I used large size dog training pads that cost less than $1 but arenít quite big enough. I use Mobil 1 and recently found it on sale for $24for 5qts with a $10 rebate. Canít beat it!
Old 10-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #29

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Fumoto also sells a plastic tube that clips on to the valve. It is a bit more secure than just a plain tube. Iíve cut mine to about 8 inches and donít spill a drop. It wonít help until you get the valve on but itís a snap thereafter. I still havenít found a way to avoid making a mess with the filter. I currently use a big styrofoam cup from the gas station big gulp store to try to catch the mess and keep my fingers cool but itís still a messy deal. I bought several cheap disposable plastic picnic table cloths and use one underneath to catch the mess. I think I paid $2 for Halloween themed ones after last Halloween at a party store. Before that I used large size dog training pads that cost less than $1 but arenít quite big enough. I use Mobil 1 and recently found it on sale for $24for 5qts with a $10 rebate. Canít beat it!
Thanks this helps a lot. It reminded me I bought some plastic when staining the fence that I got lazy and didn't use it all May try it.

I am also thinking of using my Mighty Vac Oil Extractor for the 1st time to get as much oil out through the dipstick tube as possible. I use it to remove oil from both engines on the boat. I am sure it will not drain it all but enough to dramatically reduce the drain pressure where I can at least try to react.

I am also considering switching to Fram PH2 oil filter because it fits my tool, I know Fram is cheap but I change oil regularly, I may also go with the higher quality Fram PH2 versus the Motorcraft FL-820S.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #30

THOR #6826
I made the mess on my last coach before putting on the Fumoto valve and it wasnít all that terrible. But when I got my new coach I decided to try to avoid it just the same. I used about 2 feet of aluminum foil folded up to make a short funnel or trough to direct the flow into my container. It worked reasonably well. Years ago I threw all of my oil filter wrenches away and bought the pliers type that works better than anything else Iíve ever used and is truly universal. Be sure you have worked out a way to add the new oil before you do the deed. On most of our coaches thereís not much room under the hood. I use a Hopkins spout and buy my oil I quart bottles.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Mine takes about 16 quarts.
It's easier to open it up over a storm drain, and pay the fine after the Police show up...
Old 10-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #32

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
These are fantastic. I have several sizes. Handy for many jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am getting ready for my 1st Oil Change

It only has 8,000 miles but it is almost 1 year since I purchased, so I am changing on theory of at least once a year.

I bought a Fumoto valve (F106N M14 - 1.5), but at first glance (2019 - F53) it seems like there is no way possible to NOT make a big mess because even with drain pan flat under the front axle, the oil when dispensing will hit the top of the axle and splatter oil everywhere!!! Any tricks or should I just plan on being Messy Marvin the 1st before I can put the Fumoto Valve on?

On concern with Oil Filter spilling... is the concern with the oil still draining from oil crankcase or oil overflowing from filter itself? I have Motorcraft FL-820S filter to replace it with. I need to rig up some plastic jug to catch.

I plan to do this at home and I like to play a game with trying to not drop any oil but this feat seems impossible?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201024-141716_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	26845
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #33

THOR #13058
I am done. Lessons Learned

1. Thanks to Pete trigger an idea; I almost did not lose one drop to concrete I used that painters plastic underneath my 15 quart catch pan and what did splatter ( which was not anywhere near as bad as I was expecting) got caught by the plastic.
2. I was able to remove the existing oil filter by hand So given that I know I always hang tighten I did not worry about using the The Ford Motorcraft Filter that I had purchased. I should not need a wrench tool to remove in future either as I change oil frequently and lubricate it pretty good.
3. When I started to remove the Oil filter (expecting a mess) I stopped unscrewing as soon as I got the oil to barely to drain, I just let it drain itself to a crawl and slowly opened up further and until it was a very slow run. All of that oil hit the drain pain
4. Added my Fumoto F106N and the lever clip. Based on location I am not sure why anyone is concerned with something on the road hitting it as it is safely protected by the axle. Mine came with the lever clip but that valve is not going to come open unless it was never closed.
5. As Pete stated adding the oil proved to be a challenge The only drop of oil came from a minor spill between the 5 qt container and the funnel when I was 1st trying to pour oil. There has got to be a better way I put in exactly 7 quarts. I had two 5 qt containers. At best I could only get 4 quarts out into the oil fill, I had to find an empty 1 qt oil container to add the 5th, 6th and 7th qts. Need a super long flex oil spout but what a pain.

FWIW, my one time plan to use the Mighty Vac to drain the oil from dipstick tube was unsuccessful. Not sure why not because the suction tube was exact same length of dipstick, but for whatever reason, it never got a draw of the oil from crankcase, after about 40 pumps I gave up and went with the old fashion method; but I had no mess
Old 10-24-2020, 07:41 PM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
These are fantastic. I have several sizes. Handy for many jobs. Attachment 26845
You were probably posting that when I was right in the middle of #3 in post #33

Thanks very much
Old 10-24-2020, 07:47 PM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Mine takes about 16 quarts.
It's easier to open it up over a storm drain, and pay the fine after the Police show up...
Surely you mean 1.6 gal

I am coming to New York with PETA to protest your RV. Let's save the Dinos 1st, and then get back to saving the whales"

I used 7 quarts and it was fully synthetic.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Nope 16 quarts, and it was certified as "dinosaur free"
The total bill for this almost got me killed!
Old 10-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #37

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am done. Lessons Learned

1. Thanks to Pete trigger an idea; I almost did not lose one drop to concrete I used that painters plastic underneath my 15 quart catch pan and what did splatter ( which was not anywhere near as bad as I was expecting) got caught by the plastic.

2. I was able to remove the existing oil filter by hand So given that I know I always hang tighten I did not worry about using the The Ford Motorcraft Filter that I had purchased. I should not need a wrench tool to remove in future either as I change oil frequently and lubricate it pretty good.

3. When I started to remove the Oil filter (expecting a mess) I stopped unscrewing as soon as I got the oil to barely to drain, I just let it drain itself to a crawl and slowly opened up further and until it was a very slow run. All of that oil hit the drain pain

4. Added my Fumoto F106N and the lever clip. Based on location I am not sure why anyone is concerned with something on the road hitting it as it is safely protected by the axle. Mine came with the lever clip but that valve is not going to come open unless it was never closed.

5. As Pete stated adding the oil proved to be a challenge The only drop of oil came from a minor spill between the 5 qt container and the funnel when I was 1st trying to pour oil. There has got to be a better way I put in exactly 7 quarts. I had two 5 qt containers. At best I could only get 4 quarts out into the oil fill, I had to find an empty 1 qt oil container to add the 5th, 6th and 7th qts. Need a super long flex oil spout but what a pain.

FWIW, my one time plan to use the Mighty Vac to drain the oil from dipstick tube was unsuccessful. Not sure why not because the suction tube was exact same length of dipstick, but for whatever reason, it never got a draw of the oil from crankcase, after about 40 pumps I gave up and went with the old fashion method; but I had no mess

Good job! Truth is itís one of the easiest home oil changes on the road today. Easy access due to the height of the chassis and an oil filter thatís right next to the oil pan on the bottom. I do my old Jeep TJ too but otherwise donít do my own oil changes much anymore. Old stiff joints, low ride height and too crowded engine bays on most cars.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:35 AM   #38

THOR #13058
No good deed goes unpunished

following the directions in the F53 Chassis owners manual - nothing works to reset the oil change mileage. Tried the process several times and nothing. Ignition on, depress brake / accelerator pedal, 3 secs reset in process supposed to appear, after 25 seconds, says complete, release pedals, turn ignition off.

This manual instructions do not work!!!

How do you reset oil monitor?
Old 10-25-2020, 12:41 AM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. Did you try doing the Hokie Pokie, and turning yourself around?
Old 10-25-2020, 01:38 AM   #40

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
. Did you try doing the Hokie Pokie, and turning yourself around?
No, but I am beginning to believe it is yet another error in the Ford 2019 F53 Manual

1. I have six speed transmission but my manual says 3rd gear when I actually have a 4th gear
2. Now manual is telling me how to res oil monitor when I am now thinking it does not exist? I don't need it anyway, i think it is hassle so good riddance if I don't have, but I was wanting to reset it so it does annoy me later