Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
JoeDS,

For me, that trip to the RV Shop falls under the "live and learn" category of training. I now ask more questions, search this and other Forums and even look at U-tube Videos before I head to the RV Shop.

That second way sounds like a Motor Vehicle equivalent of a Caesarean delivery!

DocMike

Actually both ways are important for different reasons. I had to have my Chassis AC worked on recently. Never has cooled right from day one. It seems like Thor installed the AC then built the coach around it. As it turns out to work on the AC you have to do both of the above. If you dont remove the tire and splash panel the labor will be astronomical. It is very easy to get to if you remove the inside panel and the tire panel. In the process guess what the real problem was??? Thor never finished fasting the cover to the firewall or plugged the holes to the evaporator/heater core. It was hanging from three screws at the top and open on the other 3 sides! All this time Ive been sucking in the heat from the engine (and exhaust gasses, burning smells etc) instead of recirculating internally or bringing in fresh outside air.

Old 10-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #22

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Thanks for the info on the ac accessability.
I'll rethink how I mount my fenderwell and insulation on the passenger side.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #23

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I've been changing oil on our 2014 (2015 model year) Windsport 27K for five years. I buy the oil in gallon jugs, but transfer the oil to a quart oil container with a small cap. If I don't fill the container too much, I can tip it into the filler tube and let it stand upside down. I also wrap a sizable rag about the filler pipe to catch any drips of oil that missed the hole.

No problem checking the chassis battery because I replace the original with a maintenance free battery.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Some one please post a picture and model showing where your battery is located. The battery on my 2015 Windsport 34E looks like it would be hard but not impossible to replace
That said I still have the oil fill location problem, the dip stick is almost as long as I am tall, Washer tank is hard to get to and on and on
TIA
Old 10-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #25

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I had no trouble changing the battery on the Windsport 27K, but I have long arms. The dip stick is silly and reminds me of an old "You're On Candid Camera" episode where they substituted a normal dip stick with one that was coiled up like a tape measure. The fellow who was checking the oil kept pulling and pulling.

Filling the windshield washer tank is a hit or miss proposition.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #26

State: Illinois
THOR #4121
oil

I've used the manual pumps before because the oil filler cap is always above where you can hold a 5 gallon jug. The last oil change I used a battery powered pump that only cost about $10 and pumped it in in less than a minute, a real arm saver. https://www.harborfreight.com/batter...ump-63847.html
Old 10-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #27

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
I purchased a small oil hand pump from Harbour Frieght and it worked great for adding oil after a change, but somone on this forum said it would only work the one time? We will see on the next change in Feb.
Someone else on here said to lift the dog house and follow the fill, remove and add it that way. I will look at that also.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:24 AM   #28

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #12415
You can get a longer fill spout on amazon,I posted the part number and cost about 1 month ago.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #29

State: Illinois
THOR #4121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
I purchased a small oil hand pump from Harbour Frieght and it worked great for adding oil after a change, but somone on this forum said it would only work the one time? We will see on the next change in Feb.
Someone else on here said to lift the dog house and follow the fill, remove and add it that way. I will look at that also.
I've used mine at least a dozen times with no problems. As far as removing the doghouse, I wouldn't suggest it for something like this.