Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2016, 01:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
oil filler tube for vegas

My 2014 Vegas is, like all of them a pain in the ass to refill the crankcase after I change the oil. I remember the Econoline vans and my 1994 Econoline based class C Coachmen had a long oil filler tube that came right out to the front to facilitate refill of engine oil. Anybody know the part number of this part, or would a call to a Ford parts dept. be able to get me a filler tube that would fit our V-10? Refilling with a funnel and long hose just sucks.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:48 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
The 2016 Axis has that type of filler tube that comes out closer to the front of the engine. It makes it much easier to add oil than my 2014 Vegas, but I still have to take some things apart to get to it. Maybe a call to Thor could get you a part number? I asked Ford if they had an oil filler part for my 2014 Vegas and they did not.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #3

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #1466
oil filler

Thanks oniellkeys for the info.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The 2016 Axis has that type of filler tube that comes out closer to the front of the engine. It makes it much easier to add oil than my 2014 Vegas, but I still have to take some things apart to get to it. Maybe a call to Thor could get you a part number? I asked Ford if they had an oil filler part for my 2014 Vegas and they did not.
My 2016 Axis has the oil fill way in the back. The tech at the dealer couldn't find it either. Here we go again
Old 07-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #5

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
My 2016 Axis has the oil fill way in the back. The tech at the dealer couldn't find it either. Here we go again
I've got one of the E-450, 2016 Ford chassis 24.1's with the 6 Spd transmission, I'll bet you have the 2016 Thor on a 5 Spd 2015 Ford chassis that is the same as my old 2014. But you never can be sure what you are going to get because they change things continually. In my 2014, if I climbed on a stool and climbed into the engine, I could just reach the cap with the fingertips of my left hand. It took two of us to get a quart in and I was never sure it really went into the engine until I checked the dip stick. Great engineering...
Old 07-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #6

THOR #4443
Quote:
I've got one of the E-450, 2016 Ford chassis 24.1's with the 6 Spd transmission, I'll bet you have the 2016 Thor on a 5 Spd 2015 Ford chassis that is the same as my old 2014. But you never can be sure what you are going to get because they change things continually. In my 2014, if I climbed on a stool and climbed into the engine, I could just reach the cap with the fingertips of my left hand. It took two of us to get a quart in and I was never sure it really went into the engine until I checked the dip stick. Great engineering...
I ran my VIN with Ford and do in fact have a 2016 E450 and 6 speed.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #7

THOR #1765
So that was not a Ford 450 mod. I wonder if Thor made the change between yours and mine? You're never sure what you are going to get.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:26 AM   #8

THOR #4443
Quote:
So that was not a Ford 450 mod. I wonder if Thor made the change between yours and mine? You're never sure what you are going to get.
your right about that. Kinda like a box of chocolates.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
There's a really simple fix for the problem of adding oil when the fill pipe is so far back. I taped a funnel to a piece of flexible irrigation hose to reach the fill pipe.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #10

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
There's a really simple fix for the problem of adding oil when the fill pipe is so far back. I taped a funnel to a piece of flexible irrigation hose to reach the fill pipe.
Naaaa. It's easier to buy a 2017 with the filler cap in the front. I was alway worried that I would drop the cap back there getting it off or back on. I could just reach it with my fingertips of my left hand.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #11

State: Arkansas
THOR #4686
2017 Axis

I got a 2017 Axis and can't find the oil filler cap
Old 12-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Looking from the front, you should be able to find it to the right side of your battery toward the front of the engine. Might have to move some of the air duct hoses out of the way. Has a black fill cap on the tube. A flashlight might help.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:04 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I made a pic tube that works fine on my 2016 Vegas. I clean and store under bed.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #14

State: Arkansas
THOR #4686
Found it

Nevermind... Found it, easily accessible just to left of transmission fluid dipstick.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:24 AM   #15

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5898
i used a cheap ShopCraft Multi-Use Pump to add a quart of oil to our axis 2017 25.2. anybody else try that? our fill cap is in the back as explained by others.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:37 AM   #16

Model: 25.2
State: Alaska
THOR #4999
We bought an 18in metal flex funnel at Harbor Freight. It is rigid enough to flex, set it in place and pour oil in. When we had our alignment done and new sway bars installed, I had the oil changed by the facility because they were already into it. The tech loved the funnel... I had to go back and get it, go figure.. ;-)