Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2021, 03:37 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
71_340's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Thor A.C.E. 30.3
State: Missouri
Posts: 186
THOR #13744
Attached is the page from my generator owners manual, outlining the oil check procedure. I have a 5500 generator though, maybe it is different.

our last Class C had a 3200 QD diesel generator which had a real dip stick, a much better solution.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Onan Oil Check.pdf (173.1 KB, 9 views)

__________________
Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 6
THOR #19517
Onan 4000 Generator won’t start

My generator stopped working when I ran low on gas in my 2018 Thor Freedom Elite, 22ft. I filled up my gas tank and it wouldn’t start. I checked and changed the oil in the generator because it was la little low and it was time anyway. Still wouldn’t start. I primed, waited, primed, and checked the black fuel line tube at the connection on the front of generator to make sure gas was getting through, which it was. I even got Seafoam and treated some new gas, disconnected and pinched off the fuel line to the main gas tank, per a you tube video, and primed it like it showed.
Still won’t start. It cranks but will not turn over. The spark plug is only a year old and wasn’t running rough before.
I checked the air filter and it looks clean. Is there something I’m missing here? The Generator is only a year old due to an accident that damaged tge original, so it shouldn’t need new parts, right? I haven’t used it that much either, so no high hours either. I’m stumped! 🤔
__________________
musichick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Scubawise's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Vegas 25.6
State: Montana
Posts: 1,944
THOR #20220
I would call Cummings they are very good on the phone
__________________
Montana Thor Vegas 25.6
Wife and I & 2 Golden Retrievers Happy Campers!!
tandem biking, hiking, tennis, scuba,fishing,skiing
Retired H.S. Principal, National Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:57 AM   #24
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 6
THOR #19517
Thanks!
__________________
musichick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:06 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Scubawise's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Vegas 25.6
State: Montana
Posts: 1,944
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by musichick3 View Post
Thanks!
Here is info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211015-210550_Chrome.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	34342  
__________________
Montana Thor Vegas 25.6
Wife and I & 2 Golden Retrievers Happy Campers!!
tandem biking, hiking, tennis, scuba,fishing,skiing
Retired H.S. Principal, National Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:02 PM   #26
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 7,291
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by musichick3 View Post
My generator stopped working when I ran low on gas in my 2018 Thor Freedom Elite, 22ft. I filled up my gas tank and it wouldn’t start. I checked and changed the oil in the generator because it was la little low and it was time anyway. Still wouldn’t start. I primed, waited, primed, and checked the black fuel line tube at the connection on the front of generator to make sure gas was getting through, which it was. I even got Seafoam and treated some new gas, disconnected and pinched off the fuel line to the main gas tank, per a you tube video, and primed it like it showed.
Still won’t start. It cranks but will not turn over. The spark plug is only a year old and wasn’t running rough before.
I checked the air filter and it looks clean. Is there something I’m missing here? The Generator is only a year old due to an accident that damaged tge original, so it shouldn’t need new parts, right? I haven’t used it that much either, so no high hours either. I’m stumped! 🤔

Did you check for spark? I would have verified spark long before doing all that extra fuel work once I knew fuel was getting to the carb.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 831
THOR #16721
Once you understand "suck, squeeze, bang, blow" it gives you pretty clear insight for troubleshooting small engines!
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:16 PM   #28
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 6
THOR #19517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Once you understand "suck, squeeze, bang, blow" it gives you pretty clear insight for troubleshooting small engines!
Can you explain that for me? 😄
__________________
musichick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 6
THOR #19517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Did you check for spark? I would have verified spark long before doing all that extra fuel work once I knew fuel was getting to the carb.
I just read about doing that last night. I plan to do that today. Thanks for the tip!��
__________________
musichick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
MJC62's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 1,042
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by musichick3 View Post
Can you explain that for me? ��
I believe the Nomad is describing the way an internal combustion engine works though in terms my old high school auto mechanics teacher would have cringed at.
A 4 stroke internal combustion engine needs four functions to run. Intake, Compression, Power and Exhaust
1) as the engine turns over the piston goes down on the first cycle or stroke creating a vacuum & the intake valve opens to draw the air fuel mixture into the combustion chamber.(Intake)
2) the piston moves upward on the second cycle or stroke and compresses the air/fuel mixture. Both valves are closed (compression)
3) As the piston forces the compressed air/fuel mixture to the top on the 3rd cycle the spark plug fires and ignites the mixture pushing the piston down
(power stroke)
4) on the next cycle back up the exhaust valve opens and expels the spent gasses (exhaust) then the cycle begins again as the piston goes back down drawing in the air/fuel mixture eliminate any one of the 4 strokes and the engine won't run.
The usual suspects for an engine not starting are no spark or no fuel. As u have checked out the no fuel logically next step is to see if it has spark
__________________
2018 ACE 27.2
Toad 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
MJC62's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 1,042
THOR #14698
After U check for spark. If it has spark I would check to see if the gas is actually getting into the engine. When you prime the engine can you actually smell the fuel? You say U have fuel up to the carb so if the engine was running before the fuel ran low there is a possibility the carburetor float is stuck closed.
__________________
2018 ACE 27.2
Toad 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2