Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #11100
Blowing fuses

Reposting to this site, sorry if you’ve already seen it.

Ok folks, I am towing a Ford C-Max with my 2018 THOR ACE 29.3. I installed the wiring for the tail lights, breaks and turn signals from a kit I purchased from eTrailer. It uses diodes to tap into the existing rear lights of the Cmax. Its a combined system with turn signals and breaks on the same circuit. I keep blowing the number 22, 20 amp fuse (its in the panel right by the steering column on the Ford F53 chassis). This fuse controls the turn signals and breaks lights to the trailer hitch. All lights on the coach always work fine, the 12 volt trickle charge to the Cmax battery always works and the Cmax running tail lights always work when connected to the coach. I replace the fuse it’s works for a while then when I stop and check the turn signals and break signals to the Cmax will be out at some point during the trip. I have connected the ground to a ground post the Cmax has in the engine compartment. I have checked and rechecked every connection and I cannot seem to find the problem. I’m looking for suggestions and any help would be greatly appreciated.

HatrackRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:46 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well since no one seems to be touching this one.......as yet. Can I “assume” that your toad wiring is as shown in the attached schematic? If yes, then wiring should be straight forward and it sounds like you have had it working ....for a while at least, each time you replace the fuse. So it sounds to me like an intermittant short to ground somewhere in either the left or right signal/brake cct, as a first guess. So I would recheck those signal/brake wires at the coach trailer hitch terminals and at the toad front hitch terminals as a first check. If the problem occurs while travelling then perhaps there is a termination that randomly grounds out in turns/flexing etc. Failing that, perhaps one of the toad signal/brake feeders from front to rear lights/diodes has been cut or skinned passing through the toad body somehow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Combined Toad Signalling.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	12786