Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: West Virginia
THOR #24324
Onan 4000 Oil drain cover issue

I recently purchased a used 2018 Thor A.C.E 30.4, and we've been really pleased with it. However, I am having an issue with changing the oil on the Onan 4K. The green cover under the oil drain plug.... Both the Torx screws are stripped and rounded, and I don't have a conventional method to remove them.... that I'm aware of. It was like this evidently before I took ownership, I'm suspecting an impact was used. So, questions:

1) What can I do to safely remove the Torx screws?

2) Once it's removed is it even necessary? I suspect it is due to the proximity of the tire to the generator.

PS - Duct tape isnt a qualifying answer: lol:

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2021, 12:07 AM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Several ways to get them out.

Here are a couple that are cheap and easy
https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Ori...7343516&sr=8-5
Then
A screw extractor
https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Str...45619381&psc=1

These are available at auto supply and hardware stores.

YouTube will show you how to use them.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tor+how+to+use
Old 07-27-2021, 12:12 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have used the screw extractor before on a damaged screw on a disc brake rotor to remove the screw. It worked great.

Paul
Old 07-27-2021, 12:25 AM   #4

THOR #24324
Thank you! This is something I've not had much experience with, or it was a situation where I would drill it out and go on. In this case, I didn't want to risk hitting anything else. I just ordered the tools, now i need to find replacement bolts...thanks again!
Old 07-27-2021, 12:26 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
If we can't recommend to use Duct tape, then you must supply a picture. I just had a similar issue with a recessed allen screw on a faucet fixture that was rounded I saturated with Penetrating Blaster and took the ball side of allen wrench tool and pushing on one end a time, 10 minutes later it was free and took forever but I got it out. Put it right into the trash can.

I don't know what it looks like but I have used vise grips to get off stripped oil plugs. It is invaluable tool.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:26 AM   #6

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
If there is enough head to the screw, take a dremel type tool or a thin circular cutoff wheel and cut the head to make it a slotted screw, flat tip. Short of that, drill the head off.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:31 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If you have a wide assortment of flat-head screwdrivers or bits, chances are one will snug down into Torx pattern tight enough. I suggest soaking the screws with penetrating oil (PB Blaster or similar) and let it sit for maybe an hour or so before trying. Old school... I've removed many a boogered up screw that way.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:57 AM   #8

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Cut it off and use Gorilla Tape to cover the hole.

Hey, he said no Duct Tape,
Old 07-27-2021, 03:07 AM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
If there is enough head to the screw, take a dremel type tool or a thin circular cutoff wheel and cut the head to make it a slotted screw, flat tip. Short of that, drill the head off.
How I would approach this situation as well
Old 07-27-2021, 11:47 PM   #10

THOR #24324
Thanks everyone, the duct tape was a joke coming from another friend as a solution. I've got some screw extractors on order, will hopefully test it out this weekend, if not itll be the Dremel route.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:52 AM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveflowers1 View Post
Thanks everyone, the duct tape was a joke coming from another friend as a solution. I've got some screw extractors on order, will hopefully test it out this weekend, if not itll be the Dremel route.
Very good, and if neither of those solutions work; you can always go back to the Duck tape approach if you get serious for a real fix and stop joking around

Good luck.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-28-2021, 02:36 AM   #12

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #21234
Whatever "friend" said to use duct tape is an idiot.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:39 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Is the head buggered or the threads? I don’t recall whether is an actual bolt into a secured nut or just a sheet metal screw. If the head is damaged the screw extractor or vice grips should do the trick. They are small and not torqued very much. They lead a hard life though and it certainly couldn’t hurt to soak them good with penetrating oil. Incidentally, you really only need to remove one of them and just rotate the cover out of the way to gain access to the drain plug. If it’s damaged threads or a stripped nut you’ll probably have to drill it out. I don’t think there is anything “above” that you are likely to damage. If the nut is ruined you probably can reinstall the cover using a speed-nut. I don’t think I’d lose a lot of sleep worrying about operating the generator without the cover if it comes to that.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:39 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialFlux View Post
Whatever "friend" said to use duct tape is an idiot.
The Friend of the Friend that says to use duct tape is your Friend.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:11 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Traveler 30 A
THOR #21497
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveflowers1 View Post
I recently purchased a used 2018 Thor A.C.E 30.4, and we've been really pleased with it. However, I am having an issue with changing the oil on the Onan 4K. The green cover under the oil drain plug.... Both the Torx screws are stripped and rounded, and I don't have a conventional method to remove them.... that I'm aware of. It was like this evidently before I took ownership, I'm suspecting an impact was used. So, questions:

1) What can I do to safely remove the Torx screws?

2) Once it's removed is it even necessary? I suspect it is due to the proximity of the tire to the generator.

PS - Duct tape isnt a qualifying answer: lol:

Thanks!
Don't run your Onan without the cover. My 5500 was a warning on the outside. Will overheat. My cube pulls off. Had to superglue one post back on as the original owner had as much trouble figuring it out as I did.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:45 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Left handed drill bit
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan 4000, thor ace 30.4