Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
No Power

My house batteries completely drained while rig was in storage. I plugged in to shore power and everything came on for a couple seconds and now nothing. No a/c power and no d/c. Yes, I double checked that I had a/c power to the rig.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I'm guessing that you have checked your store/use switch and all breakers. When you said every thing came on and then off, that sounds like a breaker tripped either in the coach or at the other end. If you are at home, you may want to see if your home breaker or GFI tripped. Some others here may have more suggestions.
Good luck.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:45 PM   #3

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I'm guessing that you have checked your store/use switch and all breakers. When you said every thing came on and then off, that sounds like a breaker tripped either in the coach or at the other end. If you are at home, you may want to see if your home breaker or GFI tripped. Some others here may have more suggestions.
Good luck.
Yes I did check the store/use switch all breakers and I do have power to the unit (the lights are on on my surge protector. You would think I would have power to the microwave or A/C unit. I'm starting to thing with the house batteries stone cold dead there's something that needs to switch over but doesn't. One odd thing... I think my power step must run off the engine battery as it still works.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:05 AM   #4

THOR #1249
Sometimes the transfer switch will go bad and cause a no power. Find that and check if out for operation with the gen. running and see if it will switch.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
you may want to check the on board GFI, might need to be reset
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
The power step does run off the chassis battery - a safety issue that the step must go out anytime the door opens.

The onboard GFI wouldn't take away all power - only to 'wet locations' outlets (near kitchen sink, in bathroom...)

Transfer switch is most likely - the suggestion was made already to try running the generator and see if that powers everything...

The surge protector could also be a cause - if not hardwired try bypassing it just to test... if hardwired, verify voltage on the output side - or input to breaker box (if comfortable working around electricity - as you will have covers off and potentially bare energized wires and connections.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We had our transfer switch "go bad" and had no AC from shore power or generator. After we finally found it (wasn't where THOR said it was) discovered the hot wire had arced and melted the wire nut. Respliced installed new wire nut and applied plenty of electricians tape and we were good.

We had power two hours previous, so it can just "happen"
Old 09-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

THOR #2581
I'm going to try and troublshoot this further this morning. Can someone tell me where the transfer switch is and give me an idea what it looks like?
Old 09-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #9

THOR #4158
Mine is in the electrical storage bin where the power cord connects
Old 09-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

THOR #4158
Also the switch is about 6-8inches square.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #11

THOR #2581
Bingo! Happy to say It was the surge protector. Thanks GMC
NEW PROBLEM HOWEVER:
My radio/backup camera will not power down. It had some really weird lines on the screen and when I tried to power it down the screen went blank and now it's just on and nothing works. No radio no camera nothing! Even with the key off its still on.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #12

THOR #1249
Glad you found the easy solution Mike. The radio is probably what killed your house batteries also. There has been a lot of that (radio drain) going around. Some folks add a manual disconnect switch on their neg. coach batteries. Problem solved. And also to their chassis battery.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #13

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Glad you found the easy solution Mike. The radio is probably what killed your house batteries also. There has been a lot of that (radio drain) going around. Some folks add a manual disconnect switch on their neg. coach batteries. Problem solved. And also to their chassis battery.
The in dash radio/backup camera runs off the house batteries? I flipped the house battery switch off and the radio stayed on. I finally found the fuse in the engine compartment and got the radio to go off.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #14

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
On my 2015 Vegas, the Axxerra radio is powered from the house batteries. The USE/STORE must be in Use for the radio and the cameras to work.

There is one exception to this. There is also a chassis battery input as well, but that is just to keep continuous 12 volt on the radio to maintain the clock and the station preselects. If this power came from the house batteries, you would have to reset your date and time and you'd loose all your station preselects every time you put the USE/STORE in Store and then positioned to Use.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have been messing with the electrical system amp draws since I bought this thing. I bought a volt/amp meter and hooked it to the house batteries to figure things out. Also installed a knife style disconnect, and I advise everyone to do so after what I have discovered so far. If you dry camp often you should also rewire the power wire to the radio so you can have a switch to cut power to it. That radio turned off draws about .30 amp, when turned on the radio draws almost 1 amp. When my "Store " button is engaged there is still a .75 amp draw from the coach battery, this is why I say put on a disconnect.

If you dry camp there are many things to do to fix the draws. My rig will draw 2.5 amps extra unless I disconnect the chassis battery wire that goes to the control box. I have yet to figure what that is all about. The power to the slide takes .10 amp, so I pull that fuse when I arrive. The CO detector takes .05 amp so I pull that also, don't need it if the engine is not running. the fridge takes about .60 amp, but I need it. I kind of think the solenoid for the emergency start is wired wrong but still have to do some talking to others to find out. I will put it all out in another post
Old 09-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
I have been messing with the electrical system amp draws since I bought this thing. I bought a volt/amp meter and hooked it to the house batteries to figure things out. Also installed a knife style disconnect, and I advise everyone to do so after what I have discovered so far. If you dry camp often you should also rewire the power wire to the radio so you can have a switch to cut power to it. That radio turned off draws about .30 amp, when turned on the radio draws almost 1 amp. When my "Store " button is engaged there is still a .75 amp draw from the coach battery, this is why I say put on a disconnect.

If you dry camp there are many things to do to fix the draws. My rig will draw 2.5 amps extra unless I disconnect the chassis battery wire that goes to the control box. I have yet to figure what that is all about. The power to the slide takes .10 amp, so I pull that fuse when I arrive. The CO detector takes .05 amp so I pull that also, don't need it if the engine is not running. the fridge takes about .60 amp, but I need it. I kind of think the solenoid for the emergency start is wired wrong but still have to do some talking to others to find out. I will put it all out in another post
When you are dry camping you are more than likely running your water heater and possibly the fridge off LPG. T=You might want to reconsider pulling the fuse for the CO monitor since it detects both CO2 and LPG.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #17

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
On my 2015 Vegas, the Axxerra radio is powered from the house batteries. The USE/STORE must be in Use for the radio and the cameras to work.

There is one exception to this. There is also a chassis battery input as well, but that is just to keep continuous 12 volt on the radio to maintain the clock and the station preselects. If this power came from the house batteries, you would have to reset your date and time and you'd loose all your station preselects every time you put the USE/STORE in Store and then positioned to Use.
(Seems like this thread has taken a little detour)

Thank you this may prove helpful. If this is the case then there must be a short somewhere in the radio because with the store/use switch in the store position the entire radio and every button on it was lit up like a christmas tree. The only way to turn it off was pull the fuse in the engine compartment. It the fuse is ONLY for the radio I can get by with it but I suspect something else I need is tied in. Seems thats the way it always works.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #18

State: Connecticut
THOR #4972
dead chassis battery

I have a 2017 Vegas 25.3 which I bought new last month.

I just had a problem where my chassis battery went flat dead in 2 days with nothing left on. It appears to have a small draw, less than an amp, that I am thinking is the radio or ???. I charged the battery up fully then ran a load test on it and it tested fine. I then let it sit for 24 hours and rechecked the which was 12.5 volts.

My question is if I trip the 100 amp circuit breaker under the hood near the battery, will that act as an isolator for the chassis battery?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtpg View Post
I have a 2017 Vegas 25.3 which I bought new last month.

I just had a problem where my chassis battery went flat dead in 2 days with nothing left on. It appears to have a small draw, less than an amp, that I am thinking is the radio or ???. I charged the battery up fully then ran a load test on it and it tested fine. I then let it sit for 24 hours and rechecked the which was 12.5 volts.

My question is if I trip the 100 amp circuit breaker under the hood near the battery, will that act as an isolator for the chassis battery?

Thanks!
My chassis battery was dead. Even though it was plugged into shore power. No power to the coach. My 100amp breaker was thrown, the emergency start did nothing. Reset the breaker, recharged the battery with external charger. Now it seems everything is charging. However when the chassis battery was dead, the radio was also dead. I thought that the radio was on the house batteries until this happened. I think I am going to rewire to the house battery at least for the main radio power. Maybe leave the memory lead on the chassis.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:45 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29X
State: Washington
THOR #1191
No Shore Power, but works on Generator

I have a 2013 Hurricane 29x - From what I read in this post I should lift the mattress unscrew the plywood and check the converter box. I'm presently at a resort heading to Mesa and paying for power I can't use :-(. The resort power works both their 30 and 50 amp it lights up my surge protector and yes I even tried without the protector. I was working fine through power adapters down from a 110plug that is on a 20amp circuit back at home. The guy in the resort stated the converter box is wired like a "Y" where you have one leg for when the gen is running and the other leg when it is on shore power. I have now clue if that is a true statement or not. I also checked the GFCI circuit to make sure it hadn't tripped. Any thoughts in words appreciated!

thanks, Tom