Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
TAR Issue

That's spelled T-I-R-E for you folks who weren't born with a drawl.

Last weekend I motored over to the CW in Fayetteville to pick up a few things enroute to Jordan Lake. Parked the Vegas and as I was walking away I looked back over my shoulder and noticed my front tars were angled out and that I had something on the inside of the front left tar.

Actually what I saw was what wasn't there. Tar were worn down to the treads about an inch inside. As it was late Saturday AM the chances of getting any service was nill (counted 25 RVs lined up in drive). I got my purchases and cancelled the remainder of my trip. Gingerly drove the 167 miles home never getting over 55 MPH.

I have always checked the tire pressure in my tars and checked the treads for cuts and abrasions. However I never reached over and felt the treads on the backside of each tar. If I had reached that extra inch or so I want not have had this problem. Lesson learned.

Took RV took local tar dealer to get new tars all the way around. Told 'em I had 17K miles on Michelin tires. Owner is very knowledgeable (30 years in the business) and based on my driving he recommended Toyo Open Country tars. Said go for it. "All in" was $913.00 but he didn't have lift capable of doing the alignment.

Looked at the old tars (had 11K miles on 'em when I bought the Vegas last year) They were coded 4913 and were showing signs of cracking and dryrot. I think I dodged a bullet.

Took it to New Bern this AM and got it aligned - cost $131.00 Mechanic said he had same Toyo's on his heavy duty truck and loved them. Also said they were better than Michelin's. Said, in his opinion, that the quality of the latter's tars have gone down.

Bottom line: Happy with tars and alignment and figure to get an extra MPG or two on next trip.

You all have a happy and safe Fourth of July.

2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #10991
Y'all also too[emoji237]
Old 07-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Tars always look better, when they're all pointing in the same direction...
Nice catch, and I hope those new tars last until way after the cows come home!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Shucks...I sho nuff wooda sheet my britches to ah seen that. That ain't no good at all. Dam them tars!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
TAR Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
That's spelled T-I-R-E for you folks who weren't born with a drawl.

Last weekend I motored over to the CW in Fayetteville to pick up a few things enroute to Jordan Lake. Parked the Vegas and as I was walking away I looked back over my shoulder and noticed my front tars were angled out and that I had something on the inside of the front left tar.

Actually what I saw was what wasn't there. Tar were worn down to the treads about an inch inside. As it was late Saturday AM the chances of getting any service was nill (counted 25 RVs lined up in drive). I got my purchases and cancelled the remainder of my trip. Gingerly drove the 167 miles home never getting over 55 MPH.

I have always checked the tire pressure in my tars and checked the treads for cuts and abrasions. However I never reached over and felt the treads on the backside of each tar. If I had reached that extra inch or so I want not have had this problem. Lesson learned.

Took RV took local tar dealer to get new tars all the way around. Told 'em I had 17K miles on Michelin tires. Owner is very knowledgeable (30 years in the business) and based on my driving he recommended Toyo Open Country tars. Said go for it. "All in" was $913.00 but he didn't have lift capable of doing the alignment.

Looked at the old tars (had 11K miles on 'em when I bought the Vegas last year) They were coded 4913 and were showing signs of cracking and dryrot. I think I dodged a bullet.

Took it to New Bern this AM and got it aligned - cost $131.00 Mechanic said he had same Toyo's on his heavy duty truck and loved them. Also said they were better than Michelin's. Said, in his opinion, that the quality of the latter's tars have gone down.

Bottom line: Happy with tars and alignment and figure to get an extra MPG or two on next trip.

You all have a happy and safe Fourth of July.

If you had just drove about 3 miles further down the road after you left CW you could have gotten those TARS replaced and front end aligned at Blacks tire that same day and still made your trip to Jordan Lake.....