Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2021, 01:46 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Auto-idle and eco-mode are the same thing
Different manufacturers use different lingo
Not so I have a Generac 400XL

Idle Control Switch — With this switch set to ON,
printed circuit board in control panel automatically reduces
engine speed when no load is connected and increases
engine to proper speed when load is applied. However, be
sure switch is OFF when starting engine.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:03 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Eco Throttle allows the generator's engine to automatically adjust the engine speed to produce only the power needed for the application in use. ... But generators with Eco Throttle can run at much slower RPMs while maintaining frequency and power for the requested load.

An idle control circuit detects the absence of a load on the generator and actuates an electronic device, such as a solenoid or an electromagnet, cooperating with the engine throttle to decrease the speed of the engine to a predetermined idle speed.

Never question the ACE; and when the Beau speaks I listen
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:32 AM   #23

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Wow dk! Our 4k sounds like a jackhammer when standing beside the RV. When I leave it running (for exercise) I can clearly hear it inside the house over 75 feet away. It's a lot noisier than the tandem Champion 2000w inverter generators I used to use.

It's reasonable inside the coach... probably because the roar of the AC drowns out the genny noise. Fortunately we haven't boondocked much in the summer heat... we like those cool nights with the windows and vents open... peace and quiet.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:45 AM   #24

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Wow dk! Our 4k sounds like a jackhammer when standing beside the RV. When I leave it running (for exercise) I can clearly hear it inside the house over 75 feet away. It's a lot noisier than the tandem Champion 2000w inverter generators I used to use.

It's reasonable inside the coach... probably because the roar of the AC drowns out the genny noise. Fortunately we haven't boondocked much in the summer heat... we like those cool nights with the windows and vents open... peace and quiet.

My brother's Midwest RV on Sprinter chassis is like that. It is propane 2800 I believe? He is really embarrassed with it. He can keep his RV at his house on weekends but his generator is too loud to run.

I bought the Sound meter about a year ago when on this forum some were explaining why they carry a generator with them; it sounds nutz to me but noise was one of the reasons So I compared the Sound level with 3500 Sinemate which ran about 1 week straight during the Texas freeze with my RV. The RV is quieter

But for OP, my point was to get a reading so it could be baselined. Maybe set meter 15 feet from genny and get max reading, compare it with some others. I will need to do again, but a better test may actually be to just measure from underneath the awning get a reading and compare that with others. If you right next to it you will likely get 70 or more decibels
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-15-2021, 02:50 AM   #25

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Eco Throttle allows the generator's engine to automatically adjust the engine speed to produce only the power needed for the application in use. ... But generators with Eco Throttle can run at much slower RPMs while maintaining frequency and power for the requested load.

An idle control circuit detects the absence of a load on the generator and actuates an electronic device, such as a solenoid or an electromagnet, cooperating with the engine throttle to decrease the speed of the engine to a predetermined idle speed.

Never question the ACE; and when the Beau speaks I listen
Eco Mode: The Champion 2000 watt inverter generators I used to own had an "Eco Mode" rocker switch. It had a magical hamster inside that adjusted the engine RPM from idle (eco mode) to full tilt run when a load was detected.

It was suggested to start the generators running with eco mode off. Then add the loads - like AC. Then switch to eco mode. Nothing would change until the compressor cycled off... then the genny would drop back to idle. VERY quiet... until all Hell broke loose again when the AC kicked on.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:24 AM   #26

THOR #13058
Quote:
Eco Mode: The Champion 2000 watt inverter generators I used to own had an "Eco Mode" rocker switch. It had a magical hamster inside that adjusted the engine RPM from idle (eco mode) to full tilt run when a load was detected.

It was suggested to start the generators running with eco mode off. Then add the loads - like AC. Then switch to eco mode. Nothing would change until the compressor cycled off... then the genny would drop back to idle. VERY quiet... until all Hell broke loose again when the AC kicked on.
If you have the HAEI (Hamster Adjusted Engine Idle) model that automatically adjust engine speed; then that is ECO Throttle and illegal in State of California.

My Genset has Eco Mode and I never flip the switch from Eco Mode It stays in Eco mode all the time, I never figured out why I would use Eco mode
Old 09-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #27

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So is this an item that should be on the Top Things I Hate ( I mean improve ) list ?

You may wish to define your current noise level. I bought an inexpensive sound level meter and found my 5500 to be a quieter than portable inverter generators. I measured at 10 ft away.

Week before last while driving from Memphis, TN I thought I was getting hot, and I could not see the light on the genset wall to tell if was so my wife goes back and look at the controls but was confused because both ACs were off; she knew they were suppose to be on because the genset was saying Auto Mode. Since I am driving, I was kind of helpless so I asked her could she hear the generator and she said no So I pull over and sure enough the genset was running and she could not hear while driving with both ACs off. Now the only time I know we can hear our generator use to be BEFORE we got the new AGM batteries. Our Genset would start up at 7:00 AM every morning with no shore power, we could feel the vibration more so than the noise, but you could hear it.

When we tailgate ( which I do a lot), unless you go on service side of RV you will never know the genset is running.
The 5500 is a whole lot quieter than the 4000.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:53 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Noise inside MH dinette TV right above generator
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:06 PM   #29

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
none
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-18_17-07-16.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	33742  
Old 09-18-2021, 09:23 PM   #30

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
HONDA EU2200i for 79$

I have ordered a backup generator to the RV. This little Honda looks like it could be a good backup generator.

Attachment 33742
If you believe that price,
I’ve got a bridge I’ll sell you
Old 09-19-2021, 01:17 AM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
The 5500 is a whole lot quieter than the 4000.
Agree it would have to be the way people talk. Being in Texas a one AC unit was NOT an option for me; so I never got a chance to hear a Onan 4000; all I saw was 5500 and I like they the way the purr. I think it was about a year ago when I learned that some folks actually carry a portable generator as they said they were quieter than their 4000; in disbelief I actually bought a sound meter to check. My 3500 Portable Sinemate is quiet, but my Onan 5500 is quieter. I can't imagine hauling a portable generator and gas can in a RV?
Old 09-19-2021, 01:41 AM   #32

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
No way ..used to have a portable generator and carry 7 gallons of gas..no way
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:59 AM   #33

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
No way ..used to have a portable generator and carry 7 gallons of gas..no way
I went through lugging portable generators/gas cans and all that with the towable. Done with that!

The big draw for the motorhome for us was a self-contained unit. Our genny may not be the quietest, but it's there at the push of a button. I can overlook the slight noise factor for the amount we use it.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:15 AM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
I went through lugging portable generators/gas cans and all that with the towable. Done with that!

The big draw for the motorhome for us was a self-contained unit. Our genny may not be the quietest, but it's there at the push of a button. I can overlook the slight noise factor for the amount we use it.
Even with the quiet generator, we never run it from 8:00 PM to 8:00 AM the next morning if we are around ANYBODY. When in AUTO mode our generator will not start during. I just find it very hard to believe that anyone with a OEM generator made by a major Mfg like TMC would be too loud for any adjoining neighbors at a campsite for 8:01 AM to 7:59PM? If it is too loud, the campsites are too close.

fyi, I washed the RV yesterday and applied fresh coat of 303 on all of the decals. Still looking new. I didn't do anything to roof, waiting on more leaves to fall to see how the Ceramic Spray holds up to leaf stains.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:29 AM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Noise inside MH dinette TV right above generator
Is it vibration or noise? I agree it is unfortunate bad location. Get a nice sound bar to help overcome the distraction?

btw, I watched a BBC Special documentary on Yellowstone. They say it can snow year around in Yellowstone If true; that has got to be one mucked up place for animals and tourists? Not to mention the plants and vegetation. Seems like all of the hummingbirds would freeze to death with unexpected snow? Also since the Male Grizzly will eat Grizzly Cubs, I am pretty sure they will not give me a free pass in Yellowstone. What a dangerous place.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #36

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Cheap weekend noise reduction. Head to the local junkyard buy up some of the sound deadening padding under the car hoods. Take it home and custom cut to fit where needed and fix into place with contact cement. Use foil tape as they do in the heating and a/c business to seal any joints. You now have reduced a lot of noise and the material is fire retardant. Best part? It’s a cheap fix.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote