Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #7434
Onan oil filter

I have an onan 5500 W generator is there a replacement filter I can use besides the only brand?

Old 06-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Go to O'Reillys auto parts, give them your generator model. They carry Wix brand oil filters, I bought two, one for now and a spare.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Question: has anyone had any issues with warranty by not using ONAN parts? This is from page 43 of the owner's manual.

Important: Cummins Power Generation warrants only the quality and integrity of Green Label Parts. Any damage caused by the use of non-Green Label Parts filters will not be covered under the Cummins Onan limited warranty.

Maybe after the warranty period it doesn't matter but during, it is a gamble. Just saying.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:58 PM   #4

THOR #5196
Warranty only covers their parts, means if you change something and it isn't Onan it isn't covered. Damage, Onan would first have to PROVE that an aftermarket filter, is what caused the problem, virtually impossible. If you use a quality filter you will not have any problems.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: 40 KSSB4
State: Illinois
THOR #1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
Question: has anyone had any issues with warranty by not using ONAN parts? This is from page 43 of the owner's manual.

Important: Cummins Power Generation warrants only the quality and integrity of Green Label Parts. Any damage caused by the use of non-Green Label Parts filters will not be covered under the Cummins Onan limited warranty.

Maybe after the warranty period it doesn't matter but during, it is a gamble. Just saying.
"Cummins Onan RV oil filters feature valves that allow oil to bypass the oil filter during cold starts, or if the filter becomes plugged. Other manufacturers' oil filters often do not have bypass valves. As these "will-fit" filters trap debris, oil pressure starvation can occur, leading to high oil pressures, failed gaskets and even engine damage. Other "will-fit" oil filters do contain bypass valves but they do not determine at what PSI the valve opens. If the setting is too high, the filter's paper element can be damaged during a cold start rendering it useless, or cause oil starvation to the engine."
Old 06-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #6

Brand: DRV
Model: 40 KSSB4
State: Illinois
THOR #1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post

"Cummins Onan RV oil filters feature valves that allow oil to bypass the oil filter during cold starts, or if the filter becomes plugged. Other manufacturers' oil filters often do not have bypass valves. As these "will-fit" filters trap debris, oil pressure starvation can occur, leading to high oil pressures, failed gaskets and even engine damage. Other "will-fit" oil filters do contain bypass valves but they do not determine at what PSI the valve opens. If the setting is too high, the filter's paper element can be damaged during a cold start rendering it useless, or cause oil starvation to the engine." From Cummins.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:50 AM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
As far as I know, all spin-on oil filters have a by-pass. For instance, WIX (NAPA Gold) builds their oil filters with a bypass setting of 8 to 11 psi.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:55 AM   #8

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac28 View Post
"Cummins Onan RV oil filters feature valves that allow oil to bypass the oil filter during cold starts, or if the filter becomes plugged. Other manufacturers' oil filters often do not have bypass valves. As these "will-fit" filters trap debris, oil pressure starvation can occur, leading to high oil pressures, failed gaskets and even engine damage. Other "will-fit" oil filters do contain bypass valves but they do not determine at what PSI the valve opens. If the setting is too high, the filter's paper element can be damaged during a cold start rendering it useless, or cause oil starvation to the engine."
The Wix filter has a bypass.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 AM   #9

State: Alaska
THOR #7980
Today July 17,2017 I bought an oil filter for my onan from a Cummins distributership. I specifically asked if the warranty would be voided if I used an aftermarket filter.. the answer was " if Cummins required me to use their filter they would have to supply it for free".
Old 07-19-2017, 02:18 AM   #10

THOR #2817
Questions about oil brands and filters affecting warrantees have been asked for years. The only answers I've come across is "only if the oil or the filter contributed to the engine failure".
Old 07-19-2017, 02:22 AM   #11

THOR #7980
I have never had any engine I have ever owned that quit because of an oil failure. The point I have always tried to make is change the oil and filter regularly and failure will be very rare regardless of the brand of filter.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:23 AM   #12

THOR #5196
In order for a manufacturer to void a warranty they have to PROVE that the use of a non OEM part caused the failure, VERY hard to do. Auto industry tried for years to win warranty cases against non OEM parts, didn't win and finally quit trying. In the end it was cheaper to pay the warranty claims than it was to pay the lawyers!!!
Old 07-19-2017, 02:28 AM   #13

THOR #7980
It has been my experience that big name aftermarket products often exceed the quality of the mass produced factory items
Old 07-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
It would be easier to deny a warranty claim for you performing your own service than you using non-OEM parts, especially if you didn't keep the receipt for parts.

Insurance companies have been getting away with using non-OEM parts for years.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #15

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghof View Post
I have never had any engine I have ever owned that quit because of an oil failure. The point I have always tried to make is change the oil and filter regularly and failure will be very rare regardless of the brand of filter.
I too have never had an engine failure because of oil, and what you say holds true not only for oil filters but for oil. Back in the old days, oil was changed every 3,000 miles and now even with longer recommended change intervals, I still change oil very 3,000-3,500 miles in most of my vehicles.