Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2016, 11:11 PM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
second windshield

Well I sent pictures to Thor of my second windshield stress crack. They replaced the first one but I don't know about this one yet. She seemed very nice and positive but they are going to have to come up with a fix.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:27 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Sorry to hear that.

Speaking of a fix, did you happen to discuss if it's possible to convert the motorhome from tall to short windshield? I'm wondering if cracked windshields continue long-term if Thor may not have to take major action. It's got to be hurting resale value some.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:31 PM   #3

THOR #3471
I don't think that would be possible. Wish it was.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:45 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #3845
Second also

We are waiting on approval for our second also.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:55 AM   #5

THOR #3471
How long have you been waiting?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:55 AM   #6

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Smaller windshield

Keep us posted. This is quite concerning.

During your conversations with them, please ask about conversion to a smaller windshield.

This is probably something most of us will be involved with given time.

Phil
Old 05-24-2016, 01:02 AM   #7

THOR #3845
Our first was part of PDI. Took two weeks of waiting before our dealer realized they already had in stock. Two more weeks for scheduled install. Noticed second on way home from that install. That was two weeks ago. Just returned from week travel and crack did not spread. Checked with dealer and Thor today. Still pending.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:21 AM   #8

THOR #3471
Good luck I will ask more questions next time I talk to them
Old 05-24-2016, 02:40 AM   #9

THOR #2121
I'd guess that even if Thor could retrofit to the smaller windshield, it would be cheaper for them to just keep replacing the larger ones. So either way they are likely to say it can't be done.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:50 AM   #10

THOR #4179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Well I sent pictures to Thor of my second windshield stress crack. They replaced the first one but I don't know about this one yet. She seemed very nice and positive but they are going to have to come up with a fix.
I have a new 2015 Vegas 24.2 and within a few days of purchasing it, it developed a 28" stress crack in the windshield while sitting in my driveway. Luckily I have comprehensive insurance so there is no cost for me. Hoping this isn't a recurring issue.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:04 AM   #11

THOR #2121
Any thoughts on why some owners have already experienced two cracked windshields while others haven't cracked at all?

If probability of failure was rather low, and also fairly random, I wouldn't expect a few owners to have experience two failures already.

It seems to me that the problem must extend beyond the glass itself.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Any thoughts on why some owners have already experienced two cracked windshields while others haven't cracked at all?

If probability of failure was rather low, and also fairly random, I wouldn't expect a few owners to have experience two failures already.

It seems to me that the problem must extend beyond the glass itself.
My hypothesis has been that Thor changed something mid-2015 or so. Perhaps thinner glass, different mounting points, etc. Not sure what but those units seem to have more windshield cracks/failures than earlier units and later ones with the redesigned windshield.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
My hypothesis has been that Thor changed something mid-2015 or so. Perhaps thinner glass, different mounting points, etc. Not sure what but those units seem to have more windshield cracks/failures than earlier units and later ones with the redesigned windshield.
Jamie, what do you mean by mounting points? Are these Class A RV windshields essentially not just glued on like car and van windshields?

I watch the windshield replaced on a Ford Ranger and it was just held in place by a very strong adhesive that also seals.

My biggest concern would be that structural flex in the motorhome body is stressing the windshield. If some motorhomes are less rigid or are being driven differently, that would explain repeated failures.

If the problem was a defect in the manufacturing of the glass, then it would seem Thor would have gotten the glass supplier to correct the deficiency rather than change the design to smaller windshield.

If I were looking for a used 24.1, this windshield issue would worry me. Beyond the hassle of replacement, the insurance deductible could get expensive for us.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Jamie, what do you mean by mounting points? Are these Class A RV windshields essentially not just glued on like car and van windshields?

I watch the windshield replaced on a Ford Ranger and it was just held in place by a very strong adhesive that also seals.

My biggest concern would be that structural flex in the motorhome body is stressing the windshield. If some motorhomes are less rigid or are being driven differently, that would explain repeated failures.

If the problem was a defect in the manufacturing of the glass, then it would seem Thor would have gotten the glass supplier to correct the deficiency rather than change the design to smaller windshield.

If I were looking for a used 24.1, this windshield issue would worry me. Beyond the hassle of replacement, the insurance deductible could get expensive for us.
Not sure exactly how the windshield is held in: it could be all glue like an automotive one--a very big one. Still Thor could have changed things: the structure its glued to; perhaps they weakened the A-Pillars, or put some extra reinforcement at the bottom that puts more torque on the middle of the windshield causing that stress crack 1/2 way up. Maybe to deaden the sound the made the A-Pillars stronger with less flex. Who knows...

The whole front end is just a fiberglass shell, perhaps the mold changed, or the stringers on the inside were moved.

Just really saying that something is different between the early units and the later ones that are cracking. Of course having said all this we'll probably get a crack when we go camping this weekend! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #15

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Janie -- I think the difference is that the 2014-15 windshield in addition to being bigger has far more complex curves than the smaller 2016-17 windshield. That upper 12 inches of the old windshield is not just a smooth curve from top to bottom. The upper shoulders are also curved from side to side as well as top to bottom.

When mine was replaced under warranty for a stress crack, my dealer had a subcontractor out of Indiana install the new windshield. He told me the old windshield required exceptional attention to detail to ensure the attachments provided the exact same force against the glass. He said it did not take lot of stress from thermal expansion or contraction as well as stress from bouncing down the road to induce asymmetric stress at a specific point. He said that point tended to be at either A- frame edge about two feet up from the bottom (right where my crack started). And he also stated it was very important to get the seal positioned correctly to ensure its thickness between the glass and the shell was equal all the way around the glass.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #16

THOR #3471
That may be why thor had me send a picture of the glass serial number
Old 05-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Janie -- I think the difference is that the 2014-15 windshield in addition to being bigger has far more complex curves than the smaller 2016-17 windshield. That upper 12 inches of the old windshield is not just a smooth curve from top to bottom. The upper shoulders are also curved from side to side as well as top to bottom.

When mine was replaced under warranty for a stress crack, my dealer had a subcontractor out of Indiana install the new windshield. He told me the old windshield required exceptional attention to detail to ensure the attachments provided the exact same force against the glass. He said it did not take lot of stress from thermal expansion or contraction as well as stress from bouncing down the road to induce asymmetric stress at a specific point. He said that point tended to be at either A- frame edge about two feet up from the bottom (right where my crack started). And he also stated it was very important to get the seal positioned correctly to ensure its thickness between the glass and the shell was equal all the way around the glass.
If the windshield is symmetrical side-to-side, then why are most cracks reported on the driver side? If caused by thermal expansion and contraction, wouldn't we be seeing as many failures on passenger side?

I've only seen one cracked windshield in person -- a new unit at a Camping World about a year ago -- and it too was on driver's side. There has to be something major going on that Thor is unlikely to divulge.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #18

THOR #4179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If the windshield is symmetrical side-to-side, then why are most cracks reported on the driver side? If caused by thermal expansion and contraction, wouldn't we be seeing as many failures on passenger side?

I've only seen one cracked windshield in person -- a new unit at a Camping World about a year ago -- and it too was on driver's side. There has to be something major going on that Thor is unlikely to divulge.
My crack started at the top passenger side.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #19

THOR #3471
Both of mine were on the passenger side
Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #20

THOR #2121
That's good to know. Most reports I had seen were of driver side.

I will follow this thread with interest for sure to see how issue is resolved.