Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2022, 02:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14018
Onan RV QG 4000 Generator

Going to go for broke and see if anyone can help me figure out why my generator (with only 22 hrs) has decided not to start. Have always had a hard time starting and sometimes had to open cover and flip the governor linkage to get it started. Now it will not start at all. Immediately kicks off like it going to start but dies. I am an aircraft tech by trade so believe me I have gone through all the basics (Fuel, ignition, air, etc). If I hold the starter button down it tries to run a little but very low RPM and dies off.
I have pulled carb and looked over (was clean as new) - blew out all orifices,etc.
I was almost sure it was going to be in the PC Board and Tried new PC Board which changed nothing at all.
Even sprayed a little starter fluid in carb inlet - no change.
Checked fuel solenoid, fuel pump, all good.
I can hold starter button and jockey the governor wide open and closed and the generator will putt putt for about 5 secs and then dies.
I have no fault codes/flashes.
Have no hair left trying to figure this one out. (even tried the "Expert" help on JustAnswer) - I knew more about it than the tech.
Any ideas would be welcome.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:39 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdpinokc View Post
Going to go for broke and see if anyone can help me figure out why my generator (with only 22 hrs) has decided not to start. Have always had a hard time starting and sometimes had to open cover and flip the governor linkage to get it started. Now it will not start at all. Immediately kicks off like it going to start but dies. I am an aircraft tech by trade so believe me I have gone through all the basics (Fuel, ignition, air, etc). If I hold the starter button down it tries to run a little but very low RPM and dies off.
I have pulled carb and looked over (was clean as new) - blew out all orifices,etc.
I was almost sure it was going to be in the PC Board and Tried new PC Board which changed nothing at all.
I can hold starter button and jockey the governor wide open and closed and the generator will putt putt for about 5 secs and then dies.
Have no hair left trying to figure this one out. (even tried the "Expert" help on JustAnswer) - I knew more about it than the tech.

You did not say how old is the RV/Generator? 22 hours and 1 year old is one thing 22 hours and 4 years old is entirely different.

Onan Support practically gave me a AGS begging me to use the genny or at least exercise as much as possible. They state a lot of RV owners seldom run their gennys and when they do they have issues, they get it fixed and repeat the process. They end up hating Onan; but the real issue may not be the carb or parts. If it is less than 1 year old under warranty; and with what you have already done and described, I would take it to a Onan dealer.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:42 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdpinokc View Post
Are you priming it per the manual?
Have you checked choke operation?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Does it seem like it has compression? Buddy had his lose a valve spring retainer giving start/attempt to run/no codes as you describe. It had very low hours when it happened. Been good since.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:59 AM   #5

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
1. Must have over 1/4 tank of fuel.
2. Are you getting fuel from fuel pump when activate starter? Remove hose after fuel pump to generator, and check.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:46 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If you got starting fluid to actually burn, the engine should have revved up until it burned the charge. If it didn't, I'd guess you have other mechanical issues.

How old is the rig?
Has the generator EVER ran okay?
Is the gasoline in your tank old?
Are your batteries all charged AND in good condition?

Be sure you've covered ALL the simple things before diving into catastrophic territory. 95% of generator problems are simple ones... they're just hard to isolate.