Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2016, 01:09 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Tire Minder Question

Those of you who have Tire Minders or the equivalent on you RVs, do you take them off the valve stems when you store the vehicle for any length of time?

Old 02-19-2016, 02:02 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
THOR #1249
Yes, i remove them when not on a trip. Probably less wear and tear on them from the sun etc. Also less exposure to have them tampered with.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:53 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
And removing them extends the battery life... They don't transmit when zero pressure detected - which is the case when removed.

Of course if you registered your unit new - replacement batteries are free (at least when I did mine this past fall)
Old 02-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #4

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
I am looking at a Toad (flat tow, four down) that has a TMPS for the four tires on it. Is there anyway for Tire Minder - or another system - to remotely access a system already installed on a Toad (or thier sensors) or do you need to get 4 more sensors for the Toads tire?

I am new to towing as such this will be my first set-up when I get to it. But since it appears that some wiring is shared between the RV and Toad for the likes of the lights, brakes, power for ACC...can the Toad's TPMS be tapped into?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
gmc

THOR #2829
Not aware of any system that will tap into the existing toad tpms system. Would be nice - but likely each manufacturers system is different...
Only power is shared by the standard wiring harness. My toad brakes (invisibrake) adds a single wire for a monitor light on the MH dash.

One thing to note - on a toad with a TPMS - the valve stems are aluminum. Some other metals will react with aluminum in a bad way...
TireMinder (and I assume others) make special aluminum sensors to use with a toad that already has a tpms. Make sure you get the correct ones.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #6

THOR #2142
Thanks, the instructions I got from Kia was that the Toad's ignition switch needs to be in the ACC position...that will be a draw on the Toad's battery. I had hoped there was some wiring that would eliminate that load by drawing off the RV's wiring harnes for the brakes and such.

Like I said, first year newbie here; never toad before (except in the Military with a Deuce and a half and a water buffalo).

Doc

Old 02-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
gmc

THOR #2829
Charging is possible... That is just power from the RV - which is available.
One of the wires on the 7 pin wiring harness is a 'charging' pin (sometimes called accessory, auxiliary, or just 12v power) - always on with 12v... The wiring harness on the toad and/or the brake system needs to take advantage of it...

In my case, the Invisibrake attaches directly to the toad battery (has to to work in a 'breakaway' situation - but also takes the power from the RV and uses it to keep the toad battery charged:
Quote:
InvisiBrake connects directly to the towed vehicle’s battery and constantly charges the battery during towing (InvisiBrake will never drain the battery).
Some wiring harness diagrams:
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
Old 02-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #8

THOR #2142
Thanks again. Off to the dealership to haggle on the cost of a Kia Soul, manual transmission. I have the updated 2015 Kia Soul Technical Service Bulletin regarding flat towing (so I know it is allowed).

Anyone recently purchase a 2016 or 2015 Kia Soul with Manual transmission and care to share what was paid?

Right now I am looking at $13.5 out the door no trade-in.

Doc

Old 02-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Those of you who have Tire Minders or the equivalent on you RVs, do you take them off the valve stems when you store the vehicle for any length of time?
I leave mine on and plan to replace them in 5 years as the batteries give out. There is one system that has replaceable batteries but I don't remember the name of it.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One thing to consider in leaving the sensors on is the metal used on the sensor and the valve stems on your RV. I have read cases where the sensors were left on and, due to the use of incompatible metals, the galvanic corrosion was so bad the valve stems had to be cut to remove the sensors.

Taking them off periodically allows for inspection and cleaning of the mating surfaces.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I leave mine on and plan to replace them in 5 years as the batteries give out. There is one system that has replaceable batteries but I don't remember the name of it.
The TST507 flow-through system uses sensors with replaceable batteries (the sensors use a standard watch-type wafer battery). The sensors also allow pressure checks with a gauge and addition of air through the sensors without removing them.

I've been using this system on both our truck and 5th wheel since mid-year 2014. I don't remove the sensors, and I'm still on the original batteries with no problems.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #12

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One thing to consider in leaving the sensors on is the metal used on the sensor and the valve stems on your RV. I have read cases where the sensors were left on and, due to the use of incompatible metals, the galvanic corrosion was so bad the valve stems had to be cut to remove the sensors.

Taking them off periodically allows for inspection and cleaning of the mating surfaces.
Good point. I live right on the ocean and have problems with salt spray and corrosion. I have to fight it all the time.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #13
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

Exactly the issue I was referring to with my caution about toads with built in TPMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
One thing to note - on a toad with a TPMS - the valve stems are aluminum. Some other metals will react with aluminum in a bad way...
TireMinder (and I assume others) make special aluminum sensors to use with a toad that already has a tpms. Make sure you get the correct ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Good point. I live right on the ocean and have problems with salt spray and corrosion. I have to fight it all the time.
Salt is a whole different issue.. the 'cost' of living on the ocean..
Old 02-19-2016, 11:49 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc
Salt is a whole different issue.. the 'cost' of living on the ocean..
Or driving on Michigan roads in the winter.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:14 AM   #15

State: Vermont
THOR #4690
I have tire minder and leave units on year around. Just had got low battery indicator and replaced all batteries at start of 3rd season of use. Not near salt water so no corrosion concerns.