Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #2605
One hell of a mess.....

My wife and I bought a 2016 Windsport 34J in August 2015. As we both work, not alot of time to take it out. !st trip was ok, second trip in late October we developed the following-
1. Gas tank spews gas out, unsafe situation while at the pumps.
2. Passenger side windshield wiper travels 180 degrees + hanging up the drivers side wiper leaving you with no wipers, Again, another unsafe condition.
3. Ice maker will not work - can't locate the valve going to it to see if there is an water getting to it.
4. GFCI won't reset.
5. Front storage compartment lock will not turn.

Took the coach in to the dealer I purchased it from - Camping World of Savannah, Georgia. Their response -
1. Gas tank is a Ford issue.
2. Windshield wiper is an adjustment - not covered.
3. Finding the hand valve is not our repsonsibility. - not covered.
4. GFCI is bad - part on order.
5. Lock is an adjustment - not covered.

I can't believe that Thor and Camping World has no more concern for their customers that spend so much with them. It is a shame that they do not care if what they sold and is to be on the public highways are unsafe. I would caution anyone to beware of purchasing any Thor product and to never use Camping World of Savannah. Neither cares for you or your family!

If anyone has experienced any one of these failures, advice would be appreciated. Looks like I will have to fix them myself.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
The gas problem is the rubber hose has been twisted they Camping world should loosene the clamp and twist the hose where it is kink free. All the rest should be covered by them suggest you give Thors customer service a call. Or have Camping worl point out where it is not covered under the one year warranty
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #3

THOR #2605
thanks!

Thank you for the advice! As soon as I get it back I willl check the fill hoses. They are waiting on a GFCI to come in. I took it back to them 11/23/15 so hopefully that will be soon. I am also planning to call Thor Monday. I just can't believe you have to fight so hard for what you have paid for. But I guess that's the NEW American way!
Old 12-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
It sad when companies sell you a product and don't stand behind it. The company you bought it from is still responsible no matter who made it or warrants the product. You bought it from them and they should step up to the plate and either take care of the problem or help resolve the situation. They made money off of your purchase. I was in sales for 40 years and I always took care of customers problems and because corporate America was changing I retired. Sorry for my rambling but it p__es me off.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
I wonder if you took your rig to a different RV shop if they'd be more inclined to work with Thor to get things right.

I don't know if you've ever wandered around on RV.net, but there's a whole section dedicated(?) to people bemoaning the lousy service they receive from Camping World. If you took the post you made here, copied it, and posted over there, you might get some action from someone from Marcus's "rapid response team". Couldn't hurt, and it might get you what you need.

Personally, before we bought our A.C.E., we made sure the local RV repair shop would work with us and Thor to address any warranty issues. While I didn't buy from Camping World, we did purchase from another large dealer whose reputation for lousy service precedes them.

Thor has always been responsive and willing to help us out, and while not the fastest in getting my local dealer reimbursed, works with them.

Just because you purchased from Camping World doesn't mean you have to use their service department. I'd contact Thor, tell them your issues, and see if they'll work with another service department.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
camping world sucks

I took my 2014 in before the warranty was over to have 3 things fixed.
battery would go dead overnight.
Radio reception goes out when plugging into the 12v socket to charge a phone
A thumping noise in the slide area near the front door.

After keeping it for 6 weeks they charged me $325 for fixing nothing and said none of the stuff they looked at, but did not fix, was not covered under warranty. They did tell me the battery was bad and I needed a new one, but of course were not going to warranty it. I went to Walmart and bought one.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
This definitely sounds like a Camping World problem. We bought our 2015 Vegas from General RV of Tampa. It is there for warranty work now. They fixed loose cup holder trim (adjustment) and drawer lock not locking (adjustment) as warranty work. They are replacing my windshield for a stress crack as warranty. My engine cover grill hinge was very tight and caused one of the hinge rivets to shear. Instead of replacing the hinge rivets and lubing the hinge, they decided the hinge was defective and should not be that tight. They replaced the hinge as a warranty item as well. Entire cost to me for all that work will be $0.00. Dealership service and how they stand behind what they sell was the most important factor we considered before we bought. The Tampa CW was only 3 miles down the interstate from General, but our research regarding service after the sale sent us to General.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:59 AM   #8

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: New Jersey
THOR #3431
Beachrunner mentioned problems with CampingWorld of Savannah. On Monday, Camping World of Savannah was supposed to install a tow plate and tow braking system so we could tow my Fiat 500C (manual transmission) behind my Windsport 34J. This is a $2.2K package of work/product. However, we discovered that CampingWorld of Savannah failed to get the spec for our Fiat and did not order a special part from BrakeBuddy that is needed for the Fiat. CampingWorld's solution was for us to tow our Fiat back to NJ from Savannah without a brake buddy (illegal in all of the states we would be traveling through except for DE) and they would send us the special part in the mail at no charge. I'm sure Thor, Brakebuddy, my insurance company and the Depts of Transportation for each state I traveled through would be interested in hearing about Camping World of Savannah's poor service and asinine solution. Needless to say, I drove the RV and my husband drove the Fiat home yesterday rather than towing without a working brake buddy.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by klayandval View Post
Beachrunner mentioned problems with CampingWorld of Savannah. On Monday, Camping World of Savannah was supposed to install a tow plate and tow braking system so we could tow my Fiat 500C (manual transmission) behind my Windsport 34J. This is a $2.2K package of work/product. However, we discovered that CampingWorld of Savannah failed to get the spec for our Fiat and did not order a special part from BrakeBuddy that is needed for the Fiat. CampingWorld's solution was for us to tow our Fiat back to NJ from Savannah without a brake buddy (illegal in all of the states we would be traveling through except for DE) and they would send us the special part in the mail at no charge. I'm sure Thor, Brakebuddy, my insurance company and the Depts of Transportation for each state I traveled through would be interested in hearing about Camping World of Savannah's poor service and asinine solution. Needless to say, I drove the RV and my husband drove the Fiat home yesterday rather than towing without a working brake buddy.
Sorry you had to do that but you DID do the right thing
Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 AM   #10

State: Florida
THOR #3222
We purchased a 2016 27k in July. Our windshield wipers have failed 5 timesin the sam way. It is not an issues of an adjustment. Take back to the dealer. General RV has replaced the Lingage twice now still not repaired.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 AM   #11

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
Smile

This is my third motorcoach, my second NEW Unit. My first NEW unit, I had issues with my selling dealers service department I purchased it from, so when we decided to purchase another NEW coach, I did ALOT of research on where I purchased my current coach, specifically the service departments of each dealer.

If I were in your predicament, I'd contact THOR directly and have them reccomend a place to take your coach besides CW to take care of your warranty issues. Im sure they would entertain what CW denied under the first year warranty. If you have documentation to present to THOR, that would probably help.

I have had my coach for 10 months, 8500 miles and Im actually scheduled to go in next week for more warranty work. Once I am out of warranty, I will continue to bring it to them because we now have a good working relationship, and always have done the work in a timely manner. In my research , a family run "mom and pop" dealerships and repair centers usually take pride in their business and stands behind their work.

Good luck!
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: Arizona
THOR #368
Good old Camping World. Their customer service is the absolute worst!!!!! Once you sign on the dotted line, you can forget about ever getting reasonable service from them. They don't respond to your concerns, nor do they answer telephone messages or emails. Contact Thor customer service and ask for a different repair facility in your area to handle your warranty concerns. I did that and now get excellent service on my RV, and I don't have to suffer the wrath of CW.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Apparently, unlike most folks, I had a good delivery experience of my new 2014 Hurricane 34e at the Camping World in Anniston, AL.

They quite literally checked everything probably because they knew I would never be back, (took it home to CA), and made sure it all worked, (including all doors and cabinets, windows, windshield wipers, faucets, lights, charging system, genny, awning, level system, slides, overhead bunk).

The things that did break and were repaired under warranty were all fine at the time of delivery.

My ultimate list of Warranty repairs:

1. Tank heater pads were not adhered. Replaced.
2. Step bolt sheared at our maiden voyage destination the first night at Disneyworld's Fort Wilderness. Replaced steps.
3. Rear bath vent fan motor stopped working. Replaced.
4. Fold out sofa mattress leaked. Replaced.
5. Overhead bunk Schwintek slides and support cable failed. Replaced.
6. The Thor brand jewel sticker by the door fell off on the voyage home to CA. Replaced.
7. A new set of keys was provided.

I made it a point to steer clear of Camping World. There are only two CW locations that sell motorhomes in Southern California and they are both about two hours from my home.

All the warranty work was performed at two Thor dealerships, (McMahon's in Westminster - no longer exists/went bankrupt, and Mike Thompson's in Santa Fe Springs). With my babysitting the repairs I only took it in three times, twice to McMahons, and once to Mike Thompsons. I picked it up the same day for the repairs at McMahons, and I left it over one night for the overhead bunk repairs at Mike Thompson's. That's it! No weeks or months without my motorhome.

At both dealerships the service writers initially expected me to simply leave my shiny new motorhome with them and pick it up when they were good and ready to call me back. I refused to leave my coach unless all authorizations, parts, and an exact time for repair was scheduled. It all worked out beautifully, (but it required my "babysitting" as I mentioned before).
Old 01-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Maybe we are the exception BUT we purchased a new ACE 29.9 from Camping World in Chattanooga TN in May 2015 and everything was serviced and ready to go upon delivery. We took 4 trips before winter and have had NO issues. Very happy with the ACE and we would buy again from Camping World in Chattanooga. (Does Camping World really vary this much from location to location?) We're we just lucky this time?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:58 PM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Ace View Post
Maybe we are the exception BUT we purchased a new ACE 29.9 from Camping World in Chattanooga TN in May 2015 and everything was serviced and ready to go upon delivery. We took 4 trips before winter and have had NO issues. Very happy with the ACE and we would buy again from Camping World in Chattanooga. (Does Camping World really vary this much from location to location?) We're we just lucky this time?
Welcome to the forum. Yes, CW does vary wildly. Congratulations on getting a good one. Just read the posts here, or on other forums to confirm that. Since unhappy people tend to come to the forum to vent, it is refreshing to have another happy camper report in!

Happy trails to you!
Old 01-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #16

THOR #2605
Update

Got the rig back yesterday after the Ford service looked at the tank. What they found was a plastic shipping plug left in the vent. Took it out a the coach took fifty gallons without an incident! CW had looked at that, or at least they told me they had and there were no plugs! The windshield wipers still don't work, I have posted for some help on that matter.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:12 PM   #17

Model: Challenger
THOR #3118
We have a Challenger and found the valve for the ice maker behind the bottom drawer next to the refrigerator. You have to take the drawer out to see it. There might also be a line under your sink that you can follow to the valve. Ours was shut off, once we turned it on, all was good. Good luck!
DEimerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #18

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
My wife and I bought a 2016 Windsport 34J in August 2015. As we both work, not alot of time to take it out. !st trip was ok, second trip in late October we developed the following-
1. Gas tank spews gas out, unsafe situation while at the pumps.
2. Passenger side windshield wiper travels 180 degrees + hanging up the drivers side wiper leaving you with no wipers, Again, another unsafe condition.
3. Ice maker will not work - can't locate the valve going to it to see if there is an water getting to it.
4. GFCI won't reset.
5. Front storage compartment lock will not turn.

Took the coach in to the dealer I purchased it from - Camping World of Savannah, Georgia. Their response -
1. Gas tank is a Ford issue.
2. Windshield wiper is an adjustment - not covered.
3. Finding the hand valve is not our repsonsibility. - not covered.
4. GFCI is bad - part on order.
5. Lock is an adjustment - not covered.

I can't believe that Thor and Camping World has no more concern for their customers that spend so much with them. It is a shame that they do not care if what they sold and is to be on the public highways are unsafe. I would caution anyone to beware of purchasing any Thor product and to never use Camping World of Savannah. Neither cares for you or your family!

If anyone has experienced any one of these failures, advice would be appreciated. Looks like I will have to fix them myself.
All should be covered adjustments are not warranty they are part of PDI they were supposed to do. Finding the valve is the customers problem ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS Gas filler is not a ford problem because Thor installs it when they mount the box. You need to reach out to Thor ASAP
Old 01-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #19

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Agree with 09 Challenger. Every adjustment issue found during PDI should be corrected by the dealer BEFORE YOU SIGN. Additionally, the dealer person should have told you where everything was located and how every system operated. I'd go back to the dealer and complain to the service manager. If that doesn't work, complain to the dealer manager. I'd also call Thor Customer Service and complain about this dealer and ask them to recommend the next closest Thor authorized service center.

My dealer corrected every adjustment issue before we signed the paperwork. He also corrected any other adjustment issue free of charge that showed up within the first 90 days I owned the 2015 Vegas.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #20

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We recently took ours in for some warranty service. They gave us a date to bring it in and it was ready in 5 days. Not only did they do everything we asked but they found a couple of items that we didn't even know about. Of course, this was not Camping World. One of the items was a knob on a window that would not tighten the window. I was somewhat red faced when I found out it was just a set screw. (Never gave that a thought.) But I would think "adjustments" would be included under warranty.