Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I dont know if my standard 13.5 btu units are high efficiency or not, but they do not draw 15 amps each, more like 11 or 12 amps. I can run them both on a 30amp service as long as I am careful and make sure the water heater is off and batteries are already charged.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #42

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
If it were me...
I'd look at the existing units first. Are they performing up to snuff?

After it's been cooling for a while...enough time to stabilize...measure the air temp at the intake filter and compare that to the temp right at the vent. You should see something like a 15F to 20F drop in the temperature.
Use an infrared thermometer, or one of those instant read kitchen ones.

Then I'd take a look at the ducts, if it's a ducted system, to make sure the openings inside the AC unit to the ducts are open and correct. I've seen some folks show pictures where the manufacturer didn't open the knock-outs so that very little air flow was getting into the ducts.
THIS is where taht round vent that folks pictured earlier in the thread really help, because even with open ducts, the ducts in these RV's aren't very well designed.

THEN, I'd look the units over...are they nearly rusted out? In decent enough shape? making weird noises?

If all is good with the units, personally I Would like the earlier advice to upgrade to 50 amp so you can run both. To me this seems like money better spent, than replacing perfectly passable units.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #43

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I still don’t see an 11.2 Amp 13.5 A/C unit in 1983. You’re confirming our point.

It's funny, every forum on the internet has to have it's curmudgeon or troll. I think I know who fills that roll here. lol.

How many amps does the A/C in your RV draw? Wait. Do you even own an RV?
What do you do for a living BTW? Just curious.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #44

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I dont know if my standard 13.5 btu units are high efficiency or not, but they do not draw 15 amps each, more like 11 or 12 amps. I can run them both on a 30amp service as long as I am careful and make sure the water heater is off and batteries are already charged.
Yay! I love more data points! Do you monitor the amp draw all the time? If so, have you happened to look at it while driving? I'm also curious if they're putting the PS units on stock or just the normal Mach 3 Plus's. They "should" be using the PS units since they don't cost much more, but then again they "should" have put Michelin's on my $100k Thor instead of Hankooks. haha.

Those figures in the specs are max numbers. Our 15k draws anywhere between 12 and 16 amps depending on the heat load. The amp draw can vary quite a bit depending on high side pressures mostly.