Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #14755
OUCH after Acadia Nat Park Trip

Well folks we made a trip to Acadia National Park up in Maine 9/5/19 to 9/12/19 and stayed in what I would call a perfect piece of natures beauty. The campground was located on the Schoodic Peninsula and is named Schoodic Woods Campground. It just about 3 years old and has pull through sites with electric 30/50 amp and water . There is no septic hook up but the campground offers free jumpstations.
It was so perfect we will visit it a few more times before we go out of service forever. if it isn't on your bucket list may I suggest you put it on now and plan a trip.
We did have a few bumps in the road while we were there. One was a few folks thought our dog was a bear when the first saw him but did not know he was hooked up on a chain but after they saw him it was a big laugh...the Rangers thought so as well. We did have one issue and that was keeping our on demand instant hot water system operating. The instructions that we were given at time of purchase were not as clear as I thought they were and the bride sure did let me know about. I had the propane turned on , went to the switch to turn it on outside the Axis and found a switch not saying off or on but a symbol showing a switch with a i or an o so how would one know what one or the other was? Inside the coach I went to set the temp but that made no never mind to me...I just could not see how to set the temp. I messed around and di get mid to hot water briefly in the bathroom sink and shower for about 3 minutes but never in the kitchen sink so now it's time to read some more!
So we started our return back home on 9/13/19 back to NY and had a very nice comfortable easy enjoyable ride home. The Axis handled nicely.
The next morning after we returned home we went into town to re-supply our food needs for our home. When we returned home we saw our mail was on the porch and the bride took the mail in the house and returned as fast as she went in with a letter in her hand and said read this! I rea it and it stated " SORRY, I broke your window while backing up the mail truck. Here's my cell phone # give me a call ( signed M ).. So I quickly went to the front side of our deck and sure enough there was glass all over the place. The mirror on the back odf the mail truck took out the window, that big side window where the dear wife sits and then the storm started. When I contacted our USPO it was like oh...wow now thats not good. Well our USPO's are self insured and damages are covered by a Tort Claim Process , not like an insurance claim is handled. This is what the USPO will do or tell you yo do,
Your options or choices are, 1- put in a claim to your insurance carrier and they can work it out with the USPO, 2- pay it yourself out of pocket and they will decide what they will repay you but you will need estimates and such first or 3- file a Tort Claim and pay it yourself and submit costs for any estimated and clean up services that you need.
So what I am doing is paying out of pocket via the Tort claim process providing one estimate because I refuse to drive it any distance as that might be unsafe nor will I take it to CW or travel hours away to get estimates and such accomplished plus I will have to call THOR and have them order the parts which will take 4-7 weeks pay for it out of pocket to a dealership and drive to that dealership as THOR refuses to send the parts to me. Also Thor has stated that the entire window needs to be replaced as the window comes as a full window system. Now wasn't that a nice way to spend my 68th birthday.? Ha what an ending to one's birthday. Thanks for reading...it's no wonder when someone asks me... " Hows Life "? I usually reply..." Taking Forever" !!!

Old 09-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Sounds like you had a beautiful trip and came back home to “regular life” accidents and hassles unfortunately. At least the driver was honest and admitted fault. Hope you can get repaired soon.

Better to have a life that sometimes “takes forever” then one that’s “too short”.....thinking of kids with cancer here. That longer life will allow you to take more scenic trips too. Like all hurdles in life.....the more you jump the stronger you become. If we did not have "situations" there would be less to laugh about around the camp fire.

Regarding the universal switch designations of 0 and 1......think of digital binary.....0 = Lo or off; 1 = Hi or on. Simple.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I agree... An honest person backed into you.
It sinks... but it could have turned out a whole lot different.
That RV Park sounds really nice. How did you find it?
How long did it take for you to get to it?

How about a picture of the bear... errr... dog!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:42 AM   #4

THOR #14755
Ouch

Bob,
Yes the kid was honest but I do think he will be on the chopping block. About a week ago he tried backing up and got stuck due to some heavy rains in our prt of Orange County NY. I had a friend here doing a 30A service hook up for the Axis outside our home when it happened and he pulled the kid out. He was advised then that he needs to understand the flaws in backing up but he didn't think he needed any advice at the time. I did the repair myself to the lawn and did not want to get him in any trouble as he is a nice kid.
It took me about one call to the NP booking site and about an hour before the call to research Schoodic Woods ( newest) campground up in Acadia NP in Maine. From our home in Middletown < NY we drove to the Boston Minuteman Campground about 2 miles off of RT 495 N exit 30 N via the NY State Thruway and the Mass Pike ( Mass Pike will bill you if you do not have a man pass ( like zee pass ). after a stay at the campground ( a rustic nice campground , with 30 /50 and even 20 A service, cable water and sewage as well as a large dump station...nice little place, sites are a bit close but quiet and nice) we traveled RT 495 n until we connected to 95N and took that through Mass, New Hamshire into Maine then up to Bangor to Rt 1A south to Rt 3 and then to RT 186 to Winter Harbor into the NP and it's new 3year old campground. W stayed in a pull through on loop B, had 30 A service and potable water on site. We had our own little piece of land with a full tree lined ares with grass, the sites are almost perfectly level but no sewage as the NP wants to keep the soil as pure as it can be. They have a shuttle at the Ranger station that takes you to just about every place in the the combined parks and the shuttle is free and will even bring you to the town of Winter Haven for shopping and such. There are no showers on the park property but the have excellent bathrooms which are the cleanest I've seen and brand new as well. As for our travel time to was 3.5hrs from home to The Boston Minuteman Campground and about 8 to Schoodic Woods at Acadia NP but that is with a few stops for coffee/ lunch and stretching our legs and letting our Hans do his business. There are services and rest stops all over the routs stated above. We made our contacts in July for the two campgrounds and I do have to say Arcadia and Schoodic Woods was the prettiest thing I have ever seen except for the bride on our wedding day almost 44 years ago. We will be going back again because it is just that perfect! < Piper K9 < ( formally K9 Piper )
Old 09-16-2019, 02:50 AM   #5

THOR #14755
Ouch

Bob,
I'll post a photo of the " Bear" Hans the Therapy dog as soon as my son tells he how...I'm still in a land line state of mind and doing things in a Kodak state of mind. When you view his photo he is a Bernese Mountain Dog 8 years old and is now at his lowest weight in a few years as he is getting older. Now his weight is 114 and he is a powerful little man! < Piper K9 <